What's new

How to germinate your beans

BigPhil

Veteran
Hello basicly ive been looking in the forums and it seams there isnt much info on this

i thought it would be a good idea if people could add there germination methods to this link

ie paper towles, soak 1st? room temp? etc etc

please feel free to add ur method for best sucess rates cheers...

:respect:

I get a paper towel wet, put the beans in and fold it up so it fits in a sandwich baggie. I then put it some place that feels slightly warm to the touch and check on them in 24-48 hrs.

radvancan

ICMag Donor
Veteran
so give to germinate seeds :yes:
The first step - give seeds to the water stand for 24 hours.
picture.php

Step Two - wife while I work up facial wipes, get wet in the water and stand between two pieces of a tampon give seeds ....
picture.php

I keep at room temperature and in darkness. In most cases, the seeds on a key within 24-48 hours
Sometimes it takes longer. After 3 days, when seeds nepukne, so he still help you. Sometimes it happens that the handles can not re mint packaging

Smiler

I soak overnight in a shot glass (distilled water), put the seeds in wet paper towels inside a small sealed tupperware/rubbermade box on top of the set top box or fridge (constant temp),wait for the taproot then into a soil in a propigator, 90% sucsess rate so far.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Drop in moist soil. The end.

Wet soil will NOT dry out your seed. Warm soil will NOT freeze your seed. Paper towels have no magical properties. Whatever paper towels will do, soil will do better. Added bonus, you're planted. The only benefits to paper towels are: mold, rot, starvation, root breakage and death.

Scarification, on the other hand, is a legitimate technique to speed germination. Scuff, sand, scrape or shave the sides of the seeds to simulate winter damage such as being kicked around or traveling through an animals digestive system.

ToughGirl

I'm with freezer boy. Seeds are placed 'point down', 1/4" directly into the soil in 6" planter trays (we do 30 at a time). I've only had 1 fail in all my grows and I didn't think it was gonna make it in the first place. Why make things more complicated than they need to be?

The reason I use the paper towel method is when growing with bagseed.

Theres no point in having a pot that takes up a bunch of space when you're not sure if the bean will even pop. I can put like 30 seeds in a paper towel and baggie, wait for them to pop and then plant them in soil.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We still use 'the Growdoc method'... mainly because it is the best way to test a seed line :canabis:

This method of germination works with a 95-99% viability rate over 100 viable seeds:

1. Get some viable seeds.
2. Place seeds onto damp soil/coco (20c approx).
3. Cover said seeds and wait for them to grow.
4. Remove cover.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Personally we don't touch the seeds at all... there's no need to!

If a seed doesn't hatch then we cover it with soil and viable seeds germinate a few days later. Some outdoor cultigens and ibls actually prefer cooler climates to hatch we noticed,, these get put outside in a damp pot of soil til they show.

Seed trays that dont germinate within 7 days over soil substrates are composted!

Here's the original link: 'How to plant seeds' by Growdoc : http://icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=10876

Happy sowing all...

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Note:

If you want to keep an eye on the seeds as they hatch,, but keep the sowing subterranean,, then make a little well folks :

picture.php

Tips:

Make sure the coco / soil isn't too damp ,, cause seedlings like to source moisture rather than be swapped by it. A happy medium is one that can breath,, since roots need oxygen!!!

Paper towel method is unnatural !! and moreover liable to damage tender root follicles when transplanting. The ONLY time we'd consider using the 'paper towel flex' is when bulk testing seeds for viability (with the intent of throwing them away after)! Guilty as charged :no:

Please be kind to those seeds,, odds are they'll be kind back in return :bandit: :D

And remember the KISS it rule (Keep It Simple Stupid) .. it's almost idiot proof!

M

masterKahn

I have some Tupperware, put a paper towel to line it. Put seeds on top then another paper towel to cover it. Wet this all down with a good amount of water so the towels are soaked and some water is left over. Put this in the dark kitchen cabinet and check @ 24/36/48 hours.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you use the "paper towel" method..

Then use mineral water or pre-boiled the water!!

This will help sterilize the water source and kills any water borne contaminants.

NEVER place seeds into boiling water... it kills them :D

ToughGirl

We use almost the same planters as Docleaf, ours are a little wider, but basically the same thing. I think they are fantastic for sprouting seeds, and I buy them for work so we have tons of them lying around:)

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 18

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah we done that method over n over with 50+ varieties already.. it works well with viable seeds :D

GDS Bubble Dust:

7253BubbleDust.JPG

RQS autos:

picture.php

If anything it makes seedlings grow stronger,,, longer,, finer,, healthier.. :canabis:

Yo can stick the paper towels up ya ... ! :bandit:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i agree with Docleaf - except that i soak them in a glass of water overnight first and then plant them. pre-germinating on paper towels is just adding an extra risk of damaging the root hairs and setting the seedlings back. transplanting them at their most vulnerable point of growth makes no sense to me. (although it clearly seems to work for many people - each to their own)

you just need the patience to plant the seeds and wait a couple of days to see the sprouts.

V.

M

masterKahn

As an experiment I put 4 seeds in a pot of loose soil/coco/perlite with a 1/2 gap at the top. I just placed unsoaked dry/dormant seeds on top of the soil then covered with a 1/2 inch of the same mix. I considered this too deep but I was testing for vigour and desire to live. A human controlled survival of the fittest if you will. I kept the media very damp for 2-3 days and then just moist. With in 5-7 days I had 3 healthy plants. The seeds were strong and pushed through all that soil and were fully out of the seed shell and bigger then normal as they broke through the dirt. The fourth seed was to weak and got what it deserved!

BigPhil

Veteran
We still use 'the Growdoc method'... mainly because it is the best way to test a seed line :canabis:

This method of germination works with a 95-99% viability rate over 100 viable seeds:

1. Get some viable seeds.
2. Place seeds onto damp soil/coco (20c approx).
3. Cover said seeds and wait for them to grow.
4. Remove cover.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Personally we don't touch the seeds at all... there's no need to!

If a seed doesn't hatch then we cover it with soil and viable seeds germinate a few days later. Some outdoor cultigens and ibls actually prefer cooler climates to hatch we noticed,, these get put outside in a damp pot of soil til they show.

Seed trays that dont germinate within 7 days over soil substrates are composted!

Here's the original link: 'How to plant seeds' by Growdoc : http://icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=10876

Happy sowing all...

when you cover is it best to try leave them in a shaded area? will the sunlight kill the root as it comes out the bean searching for soil?
Or is ok to leave your germinating beans coverd but in sunlight?

Hank Hemp

Veteran
My Way

My Way

I germ seeds in a white wash clothe. Wet the clothe and wring it out as good as you can. Place seeds in clothe and fold a couple of times. I then place it in a air tight container, place in a warm not hot spot. I place them on the warm spot on top of my hot water heater. Check in 24hrs. Don't let them stay in clothe after sprouting they will grow into clothe. Then put them in small 16oz cups in your grow medium. Works like a charm for me. :2cents: :joint:

BigPhil

Veteran
im currently trying the growdoc method after docleaf posted its day two and 8 out of 10 have poped. im feeling confident that by tomorrow moring/afternoon the other 2 will have poped too :headbange

Latest posts

Latest posts