What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Breeding with wild hemp

thunderpig

First post on icmag here, long time reader though.

Recently I've come across multiple patches of wild hemp growing alongside the numerous gravel roads around here (midwest). They're easy as hell to spot once you know what you're lookin' for. ;)

I know the general consensus is that there is no smokable worth to wild hemp. However, I have clipped several (immature) bud samples from these plants, dried them out, and smoked them. Some that came from one patch gave absolutely no buzz yet some from another patch did pack a short lasting punch. What a weird smoke that one was.

Anyway, I have some questions that I'm curious about. I've searched high and low all over this forum and read a lot of interesting things written by a lot of very knowledgeable people, but have seen nothing that addressed what I would like to know

1) I've read that wild hemp has a higher concentration of CBD as opposed to a modern breeder's strain. That reasoning being that CBD was bred out as a result of breeding for a higher THC content. CBD apparently has more medicinal benefits than THC. My question is has anyone ever bred modern high THC strains with a supposed high CBD strain like my midwest hemp?

2) Has anyone ever collected these wild hemp seeds and selectively grown them in a semi-controlled environment? Or at least an environment where open pollination wasn't allowed?

3) Is there a demand for midwest landrace seeds like these? I mean if I'm this damn interested in them, then there must be others who'd like to get their hands on some beans.

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
I have grown a hemp hybrid that I found in a strong patch, had wide indica leaf, that is what told me it was a hybrid. There is no market for the seed, and it is heavy hermy anyway. The cbd angle is one I thought of too, but have no energy to chase it.
H

thunderpig

I have grown a hemp hybrid that I found in a strong patch, had wide indica leaf, that is what told me it was a hybrid. There is no market for the seed, and it is heavy hermy anyway. The cbd angle is one I thought of too, but have no energy to chase it.
H
How did the hybrid turn out for ya?

M

masterKahn

CBD is found in much larger quantities in land race strains that have genes of wild hemp. For example Afgany hash is supposed to have high levels of CBD due to the land race in the area being co mingled with High CBD hemp in the area.

For more information download issue 17 of treating yourself for free and see article starting @ page 23
http://www.treatingyourself.com/pdf/issue17.pdf

a side note I am growing some Mazar-I-Sharif freebies and hoping to incorporate it into a homemade medical strain and I'm counting on high CBD levels.

M

mrred

im going breed some here,(stil got seeds from last season, dont think its hemp tho, some is, some ruddilis(or how ever you spell it(but not around where i currently live)),some smells really fruity and sticky to the touch, this year im making hash out of them. the buds are big and they finish early, the people that lived here was farmers and sold seed, they also smoked weed so im thinking they planted some outside , but how would i tell how much cbd it has? and how do i retain that when im breeding for thc?

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
There was a time, I think maybe around 1982, there was a crapload of big fat buds being peddled around my area. These buds were very large, sticky, and smelly. These buds would also not get a flea high. I will never forget them, as they brought on a very deep anxiety...not from the effects of the weed, but because it looked like the best weed anyone would every encounter, yet you could smoke and smoke and get nothing more than a glorified headache.
Word was that some geek got a hold of some of indica and crossed it to our ditchweed.
(big fat indica buds were a novelty at this time)
I remember lots of shit started over that big ass crap bud, when folks refused to pay for fronts.

Ditchweed of today is probably much better than it used to be, as there are lots of grower in the woods these days, and their pollen surely intermingles. But to purposely breed with it is a mistake, IMO.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
We can buy hempseed by the kilo in GB for use as fishing bait - it's meant to be sterile, but I did a soak-test last year on some and they all split fine, but I couldn't be bothered to grow any out - I planted some in the garden when I was a kid, and they came up fine until my mother saw them, but as I was about 12 at the time, there was no harm done!

The really large seeds are usually Chilean, and are preferred for fishing, as they're easier to get on the hook - you soak them overnight and then cook them for about 20 mins until the split is visible. Fish absolutely adore hempseed, as it's full of protein, amino acids and vitamins, and tastes really nice too, especially with a little strawberry flavouring...I won't go into the dark arts of fishbait flavours here, but suffice to say it's a complex one!

Sensas are a French company who have taken hemp-based products to a new level - their 'grilled hemp' is absolutely delicious:

https://www.tackleuk.co.uk/sensas-giant-hemp-p-2081.html

But as to growing hemp, I'm really not sure whether there's much to be gained in terms of CBD-rich strains, if that's all it is - doesn't it need THC to modulate? I don't think CBD and other cannabinoids are that active in exclusion...?

E

elmanito

In the UK you can buy Chinese seeds for food.These seeds are better than those at the fish bait shop.
To analyse the CBD-content you must do a TLC-test, otherwise its only guessing.

http://www.ethicalsuperstore.com/products/suma/suma-prepacks-organic-hemp-seeds-125g/

CBD-project 2009

picture.php

Namaste :smoweed: :canabis:

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
NO! PLEASE STOP AND THINK !

Crossing natural "drug-type" cannabis genetics with genetically modified "fibre grade" cannabis genetics is what conglomerates want! It ultimately weakens the available genepool down!

2) Has anyone ever collected these wild hemp seeds and selectively grown them in a semi-controlled environment? Or at least an environment where open pollination wasn't allowed?

Yes. From cultivated hemp.
The crop seeded the first season.
The following year both control patch and original field grew back.
In the third season ALL seeds lost viability!!!!!

daddy fingaz

We can buy hempseed by the kilo in GB for use as fishing bait - it's meant to be sterile, but I did a soak-test last year on some and they all split fine, but I couldn't be bothered to grow any out - I planted some in the garden when I was a kid, and they came up fine until my mother saw them, but as I was about 12 at the time, there was no harm done!

Yeah i like to soak my fishing hemp for a couple of days rather than boil it and it always splits fine, good with a bit of added molasses!!

..Also got caught by my mum doin the same, at probly about the same age lol.. ' its just for fishing bait mum honest! '

not something i would be bothered with breeding wise!

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
Thnx, first seeds already harvest.:woohoo:

This is another one with Finola x Danish Gold

picture.php

Nice to see someone is crossing those Finnish breed hempseeds elmanito :yes:

Doc: It isnt always a bad thing... We have lot´s of Finola based hybrids in Finland, which are starting to pack potency after years of selection! The average strains/hybrids just dont seem to flower here, so it isnt wront IMHO to use hemp genetics in hybrids to get some OK outdoor bud, isnt it??

But with the people who got the climate to grow almost anything..... I cannot understand....

entropical

Veteran
Thnx, first seeds already harvest.:woohoo:

This is another one with Finola x Danish Gold

Thats just beautiful, you use the same DG male in the chiney cross? Got access to TLC, or you just guessing? Nah, I dont want to batter you with questions man, the outcomes sounds very interesting indeed! All the best,

entropical

Veteran
NO! PLEASE STOP AND THINK !

Crossing natural "drug-type" cannabis genetics with genetically modified "fibre grade" cannabis genetics is what conglomerates want! It ultimately weakens the available genepool down!

Please, cool yourself down and get off the parro man. I myself am quite certain that Elmanito did just that which you ask before he started his project.

As far as I know, there are no registered GM hemp strains availabe on the market. Elmanitos Finola and Chinese Yunnan are definately non-GMO. And let me tell you something that has watered down the available genepool in terms of cannabinoid profile; consistent breeding of pure high vs low THC strains.

Medicinal users have been left basically with a wide range of choices, all high pure - or nearly pure THC plants, when many conditions would be better treated with high CBD or mixed profile strains. I honestly can see nothing wrong in breeding with high CBD profile hemp plants to this end.

The only concerted breeding effort toward such strains that I know of is that of GW pharma - makers of Sativex. They will never release their CBD and mixed profile strains to the public. I welcome Elmanitos CBD project, hopeful that medicinal users may benifit and reap the fruits of his labour.

E

elmanito

@Docleaf
Like what Centropical said there are no GMO-varieties of hemp.I only use the females of several landraces and of course you have the TLC-test to analyse the cannabinoid profile.
A lot people need strains with a high CBD-content for medical purposes.Since pharmaceutical companies like GW Pharmaceutical protect their genetics and since there is no other source of direct acces to such a strain, i'm doing this project.
You must have strains with a different cannabinoid profile for different medical purposes.

@Herbalistic
Finola is a very good strain for purposes like this one.A mutant strain was also used for the Lowryder.
I had one of the parents 15 years ago and still have some home made tinctures.
Funny is that the Finola seeds are hard to find here in the EU.

@Centropical
This is the male if have used and hopefully i can use this male for the Ghanianan sativa for my THCV-project.I pollinate the Chinese indica with my Brazilian Amazonia male.

Danish Gold (m)
picture.php

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@Docleaf
Like what Centropical said there are no GMO-varieties of hemp.I only use the females of several landraces and of course you have the TLC-test to analyse the cannabinoid profile.
A lot people need strains with a high CBD-content for medical purposes.Since pharmaceutical companies like GW Pharmaceutical protect their genetics and since there is no other source of direct acces to such a strain, i'm doing this project.
You must have strains with a different cannabinoid profile for different medical purposes.

How else do you explain such a short longevity (3 seasons) over a seeded hemp crop?

All grew fine first two years ,, grown in several locations ,, but all refused to germinate , (from both the first season seeds and the second seasons seeds),, in the 3rd season of sowing.

Basically the viability period was set over the cultigen (2 viable seasons)... otherwise hemp would still grow (now wild) in the original fields (several hecters) today. Fact is it doesn't!

The whole hermaphrodific crop was genetically programmed to die out ,,, which is unnatural in any species of cannabis.

RE : GM crops there is a Dutch seed company (WOS) who claim to sell a fem. hybrid whose (fem.) male pollen was obtained from a GM afghan parent.

Likewise : while there are no registered GM 'Hemp' varieties for food-grade use,, since GM Hemp isn't yet certified for food production,, this does not mean that open fields trials,, which periuodically occur do not utilise/observe genetically modified crops,, for both industry and research.

Crossing Wild Hemp / Ditch Weed with Durban has been the dream of many,, but personally,, these days,, we think one and the other should be kept separate. That's all .. peace n love :canabis:

Medicinal users have been left basically with a wide range of choices, all high pure - or nearly pure THC plants, when many conditions would be better treated with high CBD or mixed profile strains.

We agree,,, however harvest time ,,, and method of consumption has a lot to do with the profile condition. For example,, the vapour temp setting when vaping (which is the best medi. way besides eating) can also be adjusted to obtain specific cannabiods:

i.e. (approx.)

155 - 160c = THC
160 - 180c = CBD
185c = CBN
190 - 220c = CBC + CBG
<220c = THCV

Hope this helps...

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Please note: I'm not hating on the plan :D :dance: :canabis:

I just fear smokers in the future will be growing hemp x skunk#1 x hemp,,, a long, long, way down the line,, (crossed with green crack hemp, purple hemp, and super silver hemp, x hemp) and they will grow up thinking it is real ganja they are smoking...

...when in reality,,, they'll all be smoking half-hemp (50/50)... lol :chin:

(who knows,, we may all be smoking half-hemp already) :joint:

Peace n love :canabis:

Owl Mirror

Veteran
Isn't this process how those AUTOFLOWER strains have been produced ?

Actually, my suggestion would be to start some verified strains indoors and replant the males you find outdoors among these wild plantations.
That way you can achieve the cross you seek without getting in trouble for a stealth grow.
Then when the seeds are available, simply harvest the seeds closest to the males you planted and germ them next year to see how the cross took.

Good Luck

Latest posts

Latest posts