What's new

S&P fan speed controller wiring question

Batboy

I am awaiting delivery of an S&P TD-150 mixed vent inline fan, and their SC-15 rotary speed controller.

I've seen the very helpful posts showing how to wire the fan (thank you to all those who posted intructions and pictures -- I'd be surely lost and scared without them). However, I have not seen any descriptions of the proper way to wire a speed controller.

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Batboy

Anyone? Even if you could offer some advice on wiring in speed controllers that's not S&P specific. . . .

asomugha

What do you need bro? I've got a S&P 220/360 M3/H 125mm as intra working well (bit noisy). Got a wiring setup somewhere is that what you need?

In my part of the world we have 3 colors for electricity wires, green/yellow as earth, blue as N(eutral), red as L(ine).

I have the S&P TD-150 also and got a speedster controller but the hum I don't like so I leave the controller in for the fuse protection and easy to reach on/off location:
works perfect for my setup in low speed operation(218 cfm)

Image Hosting

Hella THC

Hey thanks for posting that guide. I found another one on this site but it didn't mention the difference in wiring for the low/high speed settings. Thanks! Hopefully I don't end up blowing anything up...

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
My beef with S&P is the lack of a strain relief to lock the cord to the housing. My HD just stared at me when I asked but, according to PeteMoss, strain reliefs ARE available at HD

picture.php

Look here for some other solutions. I tied a knot

I just rewired for the hi-speed range(293cfm),first use since my start up 35 days ago,temp decreased @ 2 degrees with out any other changes made and no noticeable noise level increase
about 20 watts more juice draw compared to low speed but I'll keep this range

Batboy

I have the S&P TD-150 also and got a speedster controller but the hum I don't like so I leave the controller in for the fuse protection and easy to reach on/off location

Did yours hum when you lowered the speed via a controller? Mine seems to hum (could be the cab vibrating) when I'm at full power, so I've been keeping the speed down via my controller. When my filter is hooked up, I know that I will need all of the pulling power this fan has, but I'm worried about noise.

I've never had any other inline fans so I can't compare, how do you find the noise of the TD-150 compared to other 6"ers?