What's new

Mother plant scrog....

Budley Doright

Veteran
Ive been thinking about this for a while...

I currently use wick cloning.... love it wouldnt do it any other way but it has a flaw.... its a common flaw with quite a few methods....

The clones have to be small.... rootless plants have to be small....

SO here is the concept.... taking large clones ....

12 inches maybe bigger...

I want to do a two(moms) plant scrog under a 400 likely....

I then will air layer the clones..... rapid rooters seem to be good for this... having the screen should make this pretty easy....

I see this stuff as being pretty doable....and having 12 inch rooted cutting will save some weeks in veg....

Here is where I have to speculate a bit.... because I just dont know....

Does anyone have any ideas whether it will be possible to keep these moms useful in a scrog setup by pruning and regrowing...

So the choice is .... making a mother plant which will give me say 12 clones.... then use a new clone and make a new mom....

or be able to create a perpetual scrog mom....

I sort of think that a perpetual mom can be made by taking however many clones you need then cutting back to the screen....

leaving a node to regrow.....

I can also alternate between the 2 moms allowing the other to grow larger....

This method would have impact on plant count as well as plant size....

In the following link sunnyside took some large clones in a similar method....

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=88797&highlight=air+layering

Here is a very cool pic....

http://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/11002random-pics022.jpg

I dont know about you....but using big fat clones like this would save me a ton of time...

I think this method may prove to be attractive once the bugs are worked out.....

One of the considerations of medical grows is plant count....

Normally 12 plants are allowed.....

It seems to me that using large clones to start could increase the output from those 12 legal plants.....

PharmaCan

Veteran
I did this a while back - up to the air layering part. I was doing commercial cloning at the time and I wanted to get a lot of cuttings of uniform size. Just looking at the way my plants were growing on my regular scrogs, it occurred to me that scroging the moms would be a good idea.

It worked okay, for a while. I set up the mom scrog under a t-5 4 bulb flouro fixture (216w total) and it just wasn't enough light. The clones were a little more spindly than I would have liked and there wasn't really enough penetration to keep any of the mom's undergrowth nice and healthy so the moms slowly deteriorated and weren't as robust as a normal mom should be. I was trying to get the process dialed in when spider mites struck and I had to just shit can the whole set-up. I think if I'd done it under my 400w it would have turned out a lot better.

Anyway, it's doable. Maybe over time you'll find that the moms just don't last that long and have to be changed out occasionally, but they'll last more than one cycle for sure.

Good luck with your project. Keep the thread updated on how it progresses.

PC

Last edited:

Budley Doright

Veteran
I had also mulled over flouros but came to the conclusion the mothers would need good light for really nice sized clones....

As far as multiple cycles.... I also agree more than likely multiple cycles would be possible....

Doing the airlaying on the screen should allow drip irrigation to the air layers....

I would expect that once you get some roots in the rapid rooters some sort of larger container may be used to grow a nice rootball while still on the mother plant....

Lets just say Im enamored with the idea....

Budley Doright

Veteran
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=126314

Here is a current thread which I had not seen before...

Thanks Jack!!

IN jacks experiment he went from branch to fully rooted clone in 30 days.....

which is the minimum time most people veg their smaller rooted clones....

Im betting from the first day you make a cutting counting 30 days you dont have anything close to a 12 inch clone...

I also think that stem scraping an rooting hormone would improve rooting....

My sense is that this is going to be one of those things that if we have any sense should catch on.....

It takes me a little closer to what my vision for this technique is....

starting with a rapid rooter then moving towards a larger container.....

By the way pharmacan .... thanks for the reply....

Unfortunately I am unable to start this for a while....

I was hoping the idea would be sooooooo... appealing that we could convince someone else to try it....

If this were june I could do it.... but my winter grows are pretty much set already.....

This scrog method would be more structured than many of the small experiments....

But all the elements have been tried....

It just has to be put together as a logical scrog grow.....

One thing I do notice with some interest....

The process of air layering seems to work virtually all the time.....

My final product I think is a 12 inch clones in a 18 oz cup fully rooted and ready to rumble......

This would make a great thread and needs doing....

Takers anyone????

xlatit

I see what your working with, there is definitely degrading if you just let the stem rot inside of the dirt or peat pellet. The hormone would definitely be a good add so then it could eat through to the inner part of the plant and get the hormones producing viable children. It'd be nice to see some pics up here nice stuff burnt

Budley Doright

Veteran
Xlatit.... thanks for stopping....

I think the scrog thing would be a great project that could help a lot of folks....

As Ive said Im going to give it a shot ....but unfortunately not for a while....

still looking for an interested party who is ready to do what could be a remarkable experiment....

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
not a bad idea at all. My only issue is wanting so many strains so small bush style moms seems to be my best bet.

If I was running 1 or 2 strains then this would be the best option for sure.

Budley Doright

Veteran