What's new

Move to Calif to grow medical bud *business idea* is it legit?

geekusa

I have always wanted to live in California, and it appears that it's only a matter of months before it becomes legal in the state.

So here's my simple business idea.

Move to California, rent apt from friend on the beach, get med card, grow my limit, what I don't need, sell back to dispensary.

With just some simple math, on a perpetual harvest, I could make on the high end 65 to 75K a year on the very high end, or as low as $45K a year, depending on the going price.

Either way, it's only me, so it would be a comfortable living.

If and when it does become legal, I'd already be established, and could sell according to the new law. Who knows what will happen to the market, but again I don't see making anything less than 40K a year.

What say you IC?

og kush

first of all.....

ca medical licence will only permit you to have 12 veg, 6 flower or up to 16 ounces of dried bud.

2nd
in order to grow enough bud to acually make a living, legally, you would have to have 2 dozen people saying you are there caregiver, and your growing for them. Than your flirting with federal. and with that many plants, you would have one exspensive eletric bill.

3rd
alot of dispensaries are getting off the whole "buy from anyone who comes in thing". There hiring people to basicly only grow for them, and aren't taking new applications.

i can go on. but dont let me stop you from living the dream. im just saying, i spent 2 years living this way, and things have changed..........

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
It isn't a get rich quick scheme at all BUT sure sounds like it lol.

Plant limits are dependant on your doctor and their recommendation and not simply 12 immature/6 mature.

For instance,

I have a med card with

30 plants and 3 lbs

instead of 6 plants and 8 ounces I can do 30 plants and hold 3 lbs.

If dispensaries are hiring growers to grow only their stuff then that is a decent investment for sure. If you had decent shit they would buy from you right off the street no matter what someone might tell you. If it is worth it that is ....

I think it depends on your city and how many med patients are around. If you can't unload to other dispensaries then start your own whether delivery, co-op, collective or what have you.

I would however not assume yourself to come over here to cali and make a million because if it were that simple those of us ALREADY here would be doing it. Not that we are not getting by though....

I

IE2KS_KUSH

I have always wanted to live in California, and it appears that it's only a matter of months before it becomes legal in the state.

I stopped right there. If that is the only reason you want to come here, then good luck, you are going to be disappointed. Where in the world did you come up w/ it's going to be legal in a matter of months? wtf are you smoking, sounds like you may already have some good shit lol.

As others have pointed out, the party here is over.
My advice, grow where you are, you can grow anywhere, also as others mentioned, to make a living growing, 1. you will have a tough time getting that started just rollin' into town, it's not like there is any shortage of experienced growers already doing just that. 2. You are flirting w/ federal ass pounding prison.
Just my opinion.

D

dongle69

Move to California, rent apt from friend on the beach, get med card, grow my limit, what I don't need, sell back to dispensary.

That can work great depending on what part of California you are talking about.
My county allows for 100 sq ft of plant canopy and 3 pounds of processed weed, with no plant count limits.
If you don't sweat the feds it is paradise for sure.

medmaker420

Veteran
Another thing...

why not legalize the medical marijuana in your own state?????? Why MOVE to where it has been done already versus fixing your own state to allow for others.....

RockyMountainHi

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with th
Veteran
Unless you have a great desire to "Go west young man" - If one were looking into medical growing - and the state that one resided in did not have legal exemption for MMJ - ONE might - take up the cause locally and get it on the ballot - AND MAKE IT LEGAL.

I luv cali dearly but only for short periods spaced several years apart. (a few days is outstanding - after a couple weeks - I long for the high mountains - but that's me)

Seriously the hard work is done - now it needs to be put on the ballot accross the country, and people need to be educated.

T

Teeg420

That can work great depending on what part of California you are talking about.
My county allows for 100 sq ft of plant canopy and 3 pounds of processed weed, with no plant count limits.
If you don't sweat the feds it is paradise for sure.

same here with plant limits, but the feds still sometimes like to come a knockin around here if you know what i mean.:2cents::wallbash:

Cruzin

The grow limits are on a per county basis. Unless your going to Humboldt or Santa Cruz you will be limited for sure. Yes you can move out here and do what you wish legally. You need to have about 20k in startup costs and be pretty damn good at growing or you'll be very disappointed when you go to the clubs.

JWH-018

Based on your financial expectations it sounds like you're planning on growing 15-20+ pounds a year, so 4-5 lbs a cycle minimum? Unless you've had experience pulling in multiple pound harvests, I think you may find out that you're underestimating the investment, logistics, risks and experience needed. Which isn't to say it can't be done at all, it's very possible. But there are some words in your post like apt., beach (socal?) and "what i don't need" that make me think you might not have thought it all out yet.

G

grasspass

If I was going to grow for money , I would move to the mid west where houses have basements and it rains enough in the summer for a secret outdoor grow. Medical mj has driven the price of pot down out here in Oregon . [Maybe Cali too?] The stuff I get for 35 a eighth would cost about 60 in Minnesota.

MtnKuSh

So here's my simple business idea.

With just some simple math, on a perpetual harvest, I could make on the high end 65 to 75K a year on the very high end, or as low as $45K a year, depending on the going price.

Either way, it's only me, so it would be a comfortable living.

If and when it does become legal, I'd already be established, and could sell according to the new law. Who knows what will happen to the market, but again I don't see making anything less than 40K a year.

What say you IC?
nice pipe dream..in it for the $$$ and only for the $$$ will sink you quick.,.. i say you have little chance on making it. once the feds get a wiff your done with! BOTTOM LINE IS you ARENT READy FOR THE BIGTIME WHEN IT COMES TO THE FEDS AND THIEVES THAT WILL TAKE YOU OUT QUICK IN YOUR SINGLE RENTED HOUSE IN SCAL.

geekusa

When doing my calculations I based everything on a club giving you $200 an ounce, and growing around 3 to 5 pounds every cycle. All the while keeping everything completely legal with the state, and staying below the radar of the feds.

Is $200 even in the ballpark?

Trust me I'd love to become an activist in my current state, but there isn't much hope around here for another 4 years based on the political situation. Even if the citizens voted to legalize the governor has already threatened a VETO and said he's not interested in hearing it.

So using that logic I would rather take my chances in California over the next 4 years, as opposed to the current one. I mean at least the main stream media reports on California having a chance, even if it's to get out of debt.

thanks for the advice IC.

jd4083

Veteran
i don't think a club would even let you in the door with anything less than a pound, although I could be wrong

FreedomFGHTR

Veteran
If you are moving here and BUYING property then do it. If you can't afford to buy property right now then don't bother. Save the grow friendly rentals for the natives.

ajc0k

i don't think a club would even let you in the door with anything less than a pound, although I could be wrong

wrong. i have walked in multiple San Francisco clubs with over 2 lbs they dont give a shit they will take it if it's good.

growshower

just move to cali to enjoy it, trust me there are a hundred other things you could do that could make you money there

medmaker420

Veteran
wrong. i have walked in multiple San Francisco clubs with over 2 lbs they dont give a shit they will take it if it's good.

He was saying, anything UNDER a pound and they won't deal with you according to the above poster. If you are walking in with 2 elbows of course they will work with you.

Quality talks for sure though.