What's new

stick thru base of stem before harvest?

baet

my friend was telling me about sticking a stake or sharp stick/instrument thru the base of the stem right above the dirt around 3 weeks before harvest, supposidly makes buds moree sticky or something... old ganja farmer technique.
anyone know anything about this technique. i dont know if i like the sounds of it

love?

Actually this is a fairly widely spread myth... sticking a nail through the stem to make the plant mature earlier or extra sticky. Personally I think it's just a load of bullshit.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
why not to cut the plant entirely 3 weeks before harvest to see how that will work on your harvest? :laughing:

jocking.. I think your friend is misinformed or he is misinforming you. :2cents:

baet

i was definately wary and sketched out about the idea, because of the importance of those last weeks. but supposidly its done last two weeks before harvest and stresses plant into increasing trichome production...

but im not worried about trichome production necessarily, especially at the expense of stabbing my plants

baet

"Stem manipulation/piercing is a very old ganja farmer trick to increase trichome production, usually done around 2 weeks before harvest. For example, Burmese farmers split the stem then insert a piece of opium into the wound. Mexican would pierce the stem twice, at right angles, with a piece of Acote Pine. They claim it gives the weed a 'piney' flavor. All I know is, it makes the plants super sticky lol"

^^^source of information

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
then boil the roots and hang it upside down so all the resin comes dripping out the buds, oh ya, then roll it i sugar........

baet

^^^ has anyone actually done it

i actually wouldnt like to do it. but id like to have some information for my friend whos growing with me, rather than just "you'll feel like an ass" "lol".
but thank you for all your comments none the less

baet

haha ok.
boiling the roots for resin its plain stupid. stressing a plant two weeks before harvest to produce trichomes by manipulation is how certain products work like humboldt co snow storm and bushmaster work, one cause stress to produce trichomes, other produces stress to put plant immediately into flower. i know putting a stake thru a plant makes it silly, but the idea of stressing a plant is worthy.
i just wouldnt want to stab my plant, wether it slitely works or not is not important, i want my plant to have a strong finish ha

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
sry bro, but this is some old wise tail that an old hippie told you, it wont work. but good luck!

baet

i was never on this hippie train, just would like to present my friend with a reason why it mite not be a good idea with out turning into an argument like what usually happens one of us has opposition on our grow op.

the only reason he found out about this is from a youtube video, which a guy grows outdoor plants that look very good, (they actually dont look that resinous which is funny, maybe its just strain,but they have huge buds) and the guy whos grow it is leaves comment on why he stabs the plant etc

supersonic

this is written in some of that cannabis books and some other simmilar methods (don't remember in which one exactly) to improve yield or taste or potency. it could be that some farmers in cannabis producing countries- 3rd world use that methods...
once i cut a hole, put the knife through the stem towards end of flowering after reading this but didn't left it there, and i didn't notice improvement of quality, although it seems to me that sometimes stressed, torn apart plants produce the best bud...

baet

thankyou, i could see how it mite stress plant into producing stickyness, but id to just let the plants grow without damaging them, and they'll already be sticky and taste and aroma will be great, sour diesel crossed with cheese.
sounds like a thirdworld country thing, ha

Don Dump

the man doctors said would never moonwalk again
Veteran
doesn't really make much logical sense to me.

seems like a good way to stress out a couple male flowers if the plant is inclined

ReeferRon

Could very well stress the plant into creating a little more resin to protect its precious flowers, but I have the feeling said stress would also create loss in yield. Six of one, half dozen of another? I dont know, someone should try it using two clones from the same mother. Stress one with the stake and leave the other to finish up naturally. A double blind of sorts is the only way the results could be trusted. As for me I'll stick to trying NOT to stress them as much as possible. If it aint broke, why fix it....:joint: