What's new

Chapines, or Soil Blocks

J

JackTheGrower

Soil Blocks, History, use and soil block mixes

picture.php

I have had several comments on soil blocks and as I just replied this last time the soil mix needs a quality of not being too compressed for Cannabis seeds so getting the mix right and still having the block structure is the thing.
Materials should be mellowed so mix, wet and let stand for a few days.

I looked on the Web and found a few links for those who are interested in the soil blocks.

Will the birth place of the soil block disappear?
http://www.pottingblocks.com/history.html

picture.php

Potting Blocks, also known as soil blocks, are free-standing compressed cubes of potting soil which hold their shape
without any container.
http://www.pottingblocks.com/info.html

The principle of soil blocks is to provide a growing medium for your starts that does not use a container, that allows the small seedlings to have just a tiny amount of space to germinate and begin growing and be easily and safely transplanted (absolutely NO transplant shock).
Bottom line.. saves time, space, resources AND money….
http://www.toppers-place.com/soil_blocks.htm

intro Making a Soil Blocker
What are soil blocks? I first learned about soil blocks after watching The Real Dirt on Farmer John movie. He uses them to start seeds and then I saw that Eliott Coleman recommends them. A block of soil is made and with the right mix will hold together during plant root growth.

This is the unit I own. I've had it 14 years. It looks as good today as when I received it. It will probably look as good when I am gone.

Popular size makes four 2" blocks at a stroke. Use it for starting seeds or for "potting on" seedlings which have been given a quick start in 3/4" Mini-Blocks (see insert pins). This zinc-coated, solid steel unit is 2" x 8" x 9" tall, including the handle.
http://www.groworganic.com/item_GP044_Soil_Blockers__2_Blocker_4_Block.html

BLOCKING MIX RECIPE *
http://urbanhomestead.org/journal/2008/02/27/soil-blocks/

Do we really need to mix our own? In our professional experience, the answer is an unquestionable "Yes".
http://www.pottingblocks.com/recipes.html

I will make one block out of 100% compost and one out of 100% compost plus wheat flour to see if they hold together.
http://www.jbest123.com/?tag=humidity-box

--------------------------------------------------

I believe we should come up with a soil bloc mix. I believe in peat for it's fiber and structure plus water retention.
A premium home made compost finely screened seems ideal as well as some minerals.
This time out I bought a bag of seedling mix from a nursery and added my premium compost tumbler made compost plus a bit of alfalfa ( not much ) and I am happy with that mix except I feel I needed more peat because it turned out to be more compact than a cannabis seedling needed.

One last quote and link

Getting the block in the ground
For best results, plant your seedlings outdoors as soon as roots appear. Seedlings can hold on for a short time, however, as the roots are “air pruned,” and they will not become pot-bound. Plant the moist seedlings firmly in the garden soil, and water them well. Since the soil blocks retain water better than peat pots or pellets, no special care is needed after planting.
http://www.vegetablegardener.com/item/2577/soil-block-your-seeds

Happy to share the things I know and love about Organic Gardening and Cannabis

JackTheGrower

Last edited:
J

JackTheGrower

Cloning is soil blocks

Cloning is soil blocks

It is possible to clone in soil blocks. They need to be kept damp and warm so clones can root.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
how often do you have to water those things, they would dry out within a few hours here on some days it seems.

J

JackTheGrower

It's about cloning so we would want it on the dry side of wet; if that makes sense.
Soak them and then hand spray them daily more or less. I don't let them sit in the water but in the container they were in they sat on a foam pad and had a heating pad under the whole tray. Keeping things warm is the right idea.

No transplant shock at all..

maryjohn

Veteran
they are a replacement for small pots! you can do all your starts in them. If I had enough starts to justify it I would be using one. I especially like to "potting on" design where the smaller one fits into the bigger one.

J

JackTheGrower

They are handy in many ways. Nifty!

Yeah, I don't do clones often either so I learned a bit. Hey, that's a good thing.

I'll work on my skills with blocks and clones.. One can have many plants in a small space..

J

JackTheGrower

they are a replacement for small pots! you can do all your starts in them. If I had enough starts to justify it I would be using one. I especially like to "potting on" design where the smaller one fits into the bigger one.

Potting on. That's the thing I'm wanting too but the 4 inch blocker is like $100.. Although it will never in 10 or 20 lifetimes wear out.. My 2 inch looks brand new after 15 years I think..

If I did a lot of starts I would buy their 4 inch but for now I made my own.

S

spiral

Yeah soil blocks are great, beats the hell outa dixie cups imo. Found out about these awhile ago when I was searching for a replacement for rockwool cubes.

Didnt buy one of those fancy soil block makers though, just made one. Basicially made a box without a top or bottom. measures 1' x 1' by 5" high, then cut 4 pieces of aluminum flashing into 4" x 1' strips and half cut them so they fit together like a number sign. Fill the bin to the top with soil insert put the "cutter" in and press down with a board cut to fit inside the box it presses down an inch. Works great makes 9 blocks at once.

You do have to get the soil mix pretty wet. So I let em dry out for a day or two before using.

Also when rooted dont pack em to close toghether or the roots will grow into neighboring blocks.

Last edited:

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'll work on my skills with blocks and clones.. One can have many plants in a small space..

with that thinking couldn't you just put them all together after rooted on top of say a few inches of fresh soil and sog them. flip the lights right away. limited space with potentially high yields.

J

JackTheGrower

Yeah soil blocks are great, beats the hell outa dixie cups imo. Found out about these awhile ago when I was searching for a replacement for rockwool cubes.

Didnt buy one of those fancy soil block makers though, just made one. Basicially made a box without a top or bottom. measures 1' x 1' by 5" high, then cut 4 pieces of aluminum flashing into 4" x 1' strips and half cut them so they fit together like a number sign. Fill the bin to the top with soil insert put the "cutter" in and press down with a board cut to fit inside the box it presses down an inch. Works great makes 9 blocks at once.

You do have to get the soil mix pretty wet. So I let em dry out for a day or two before using.

Also when rooted don't pack em to close together or the roots will grow into neighboring blocks.

I'm still thinking on mixes but coir and peat mix seemed better for holding the blocks together. You know it's a trade off on compact soil VS loose.. For most cannabis needs on the looser side is better.

I'm open to suggestions on a mix for cannabis.

They do sometimes grow together but then we weren't watching close!!! Mostly they air prune; they stop growing when the roots hit air so a little space is good between.. Hey we sure can pack them in tho. Not hard to get 100 on a flat.

BakedBeans

I went searching through IC for soil blocks and couldn't come up with anything. I did a Google search and found this thread. Yay!

I've had my eye on the block makers in the Johnny's catalog. It looks like they recommend half compost and half soil. Perhaps compost+coir will work well?

Has anyone experimented more with these? Are they fragile once the roots grow out? I would suspect not. I like this idea over smart pots but I guess they'd both be hard to move.

I had the thought of potting-up with the different sizes of blocks a few times and then placing 4-inch soil blocks on top of a coco mat. Seems like that might make for an interesting combo for delivering flower-specific nutrient after the 4-inch block has been grown out.

Thanks for this thread!

bb

J

JackTheGrower

I went searching through IC for soil blocks and couldn't come up with anything. I did a Google search and found this thread. Yay!

I've had my eye on the block makers in the Johnny's catalog. It looks like they recommend half compost and half soil. Perhaps compost+coir will work well?

Has anyone experimented more with these? Are they fragile once the roots grow out? I would suspect not. I like this idea over smart pots but I guess they'd both be hard to move.

I had the thought of potting-up with the different sizes of blocks a few times and then placing 4-inch soil blocks on top of a coco mat. Seems like that might make for an interesting combo for delivering flower-specific nutrient after the 4-inch block has been grown out.

Thanks for this thread!

bb

There is a Boat-Load of soil-block info on the Web. I wouldn't claim to know everything.
What i find useful in this area of California is keeping the humidity on the evaporative side. Yes a Tent area but fair air movement.

I have that Rubbermaid box for seeds and it is trustworthy. A simple florescent on top of the box and the box lid cracked open with the likes of a pencil width gap seems to work well for my needs.

I have the 4 2" block maker and it will look as good as the day I bought it the day I die, I am sure.

Serious tho.. You can make a block maker.. It's just nice to have that unit :)

I made my 4 inch block maker rather than spending the $100 but what is $100 for a life time of 4 inch blocks?

Anyway.. Soil mixes are the thing.. Wetting the mix slowly is easier to learn a sense of textures and moisture.

Thanks for the thumbs up on the thread. I assume I am adding something worth while once in a while.

Ernst

J

JackTheGrower

Just Bump.. Folks are curious on soil blocks.. Nothing to it really you can make a block maker or buy one. The Native peoples used to cut the soil into squares and transplant the seedlings in "blocks."

It's an organic method and it can be fun making the soil mix and pressing out the blocks.. Something to get the kids involved in around the garden.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i first learned about this technique reading about eliot coleman's methods

he uses his garden soil in the blocks for seedlings/cuttings

a zero shock method for trans as the blocks even go into identical material in the garden