Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growroom Designs & Equipment > How to fully automate reservoir top offs!

Thread Title Search
How to fully automate reservoir top offs! Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-17-2009, 08:41 PM #1
Lazyman
Overkill is under-rated.

Lazyman has much to be proud ofLazyman has much to be proud ofLazyman has much to be proud ofLazyman has much to be proud ofLazyman has much to be proud ofLazyman has much to be proud ofLazyman has much to be proud ofLazyman has much to be proud ofLazyman has much to be proud ofLazyman has much to be proud ofLazyman has much to be proud of
How to fully automate reservoir top offs!

Hey guys, after years of trying and using different systems, I think I've hit on the easiest way to automate reservoir top offs.

I pretty much always run a heavy-duty garden hose into my rooms, makes it MUCH easier to produce water in the room. I typically put them onto a 2 or 4-way splitter, so I can have a garden hose for rinsing out buckets, reservoirs, etc without using up my filters.

Once you have your line and splitter installed, pick up a Rainbird hose timer that will allow you to turn the valve ON for a set period daily. For me, 2 hours is enough time for my Tallboy filter to completely fill both of my 115gallon reservoirs.

I set the ON time to a part of the day when the pumps and timers aren't running at all, so if the reservoirs are filling they aren't pumping out at the same time. This is very important! If you set the ON time to when your lights are on and the pumps are running, you'll get floods, period. My Rainbird has a small button to activate the fill manually, which is nice for res changes and for making drinking water.

My Tallboy came with a hose end fitting for the inlet hose, so that part was easy. Lowes (or your local hydro store) carries 3/8"OD poly tubing and push fittings, so I got an array of shutoff valves and tees.

The single filter outlet runs down under my tables to a 3-way splitter:

1 line to north res
1 line to south res
1 line to drinking water/handy line.

Each reservoir has its own shutoff valve and float valve (from local hydro store) and it's ALL push fittings, no wrenches needed to connect or disconnect lines, woot!

Now I can leave my room for a week without worrying about running out of water.

If this doesn't work for your particular setup, holler and I can tell you how to do this with an inline 3/4" sprinkler valve and a programmable sprinkler timer, but it's more involved!

Hope that helps you guys out.
Lazyman is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:26 PM #2
Lazyman
Overkill is under-rated.

Lazyman has much to be proud ofLazyman has much to be proud ofLazyman has much to be proud ofLazyman has much to be proud ofLazyman has much to be proud ofLazyman has much to be proud ofLazyman has much to be proud ofLazyman has much to be proud ofLazyman has much to be proud ofLazyman has much to be proud ofLazyman has much to be proud of
Wow not one reply? You guys must all be doing this already huh, my bad!
Lazyman is offline Quote

Old 06-18-2009, 06:43 PM #3
Befri

Befri will become famous soon enoughBefri will become famous soon enough
I like your set up..

I have been thinking of doing this instead on having to "make" the water first and waiting to fill a trash can, then pump it across the way to the "room".
This would save a lot of work.....good write up.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:59 PM #4
Lazyman
Overkill is under-rated.

Hey thanks Befri, I imagine there's more than two of us who need to leave the garden alone for more than 24 hours at a time, and don't want the security issue of a babysitter!
Lazyman is offline Quote

Old 06-18-2009, 11:00 PM #5
micro gro

Nice; compression fittings are handy.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:22 AM #6
sickworm

sickworm is on a distinguished road
Cool, that is a great idea!
sickworm is offline Quote

Old 07-02-2009, 01:15 AM #7
smoke1sun
What Goes Around Comes Around. But Am I Comming Or Going?

smoke1sun is just really nicesmoke1sun is just really nicesmoke1sun is just really nicesmoke1sun is just really nicesmoke1sun is just really nicesmoke1sun is just really nicesmoke1sun is just really nicesmoke1sun is just really nicesmoke1sun is just really nice
Sounds like a good idea, but im a little slow, i need lots of pics and small words. k+++++

Its M.U.R.D.A. : Midwest Underground Reefer Development Alliance
smoke1sun is offline Quote

Old 07-02-2009, 01:31 AM #8
Securityfirst

Securityfirst is a jewel in the roughSecurityfirst is a jewel in the roughSecurityfirst is a jewel in the roughSecurityfirst is a jewel in the roughSecurityfirst is a jewel in the roughSecurityfirst is a jewel in the roughSecurityfirst is a jewel in the rough
Im gonna keep this in mind. Ive had a few floods and man are they costly.....

102 Mother Plants 4k Vertical Stadium

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=192723

8 pds no popcorn!6k
vertical stadium

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=178633

6000 WATT SOUR GRAPE GROW

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=127654
Securityfirst is offline Quote

Old 07-02-2009, 01:36 AM #9
Lazyman
Overkill is under-rated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Securityfirst View Post
Im gonna keep this in mind. Ive had a few floods and man are they costly.....
Yeah, the trick for floods is to ALWAYS have an overflow fitting at the top of each res, then tee it down into your main drain line for the res (AFTER the shutoff valve!) so it is ALWAYS open, full time. No floods, no drips, dry floors keep the dehueys happy!

All about Growroom cooling: Keepin' it cool man (my 1st published article)
How to automate reservoir top offs or most anything water-related
The only UV-B lighting thread worth a damn
CO2 for dummies

Big grow:
The 36KW medical/perpetual basement

Lazyman is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:42 AM #10
Lazyman
Overkill is under-rated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke1sun View Post
Sounds like a good idea, but im a little slow, i need lots of pics and small words. k+++++
You got it man, I don't have more pics, but I can just go step by step:

1) GOOD quality garden hose into room (hard to beat that!)
2) Garden hose runs to tee or splitter valve
3) Leg one of the splitter runs to another garden hose, handy for washing/rinsing stuff
4) Leg two of the splitter runs to a garden hose timer (I use a Rainbird that turns itself on daily for 2 hours during DARK period)
5) Hose timer runs to your water filter (if needed) otherwise go to step 6
6) Outlet line of filter (or timer) runs to a three way plastic compression fitting, using 3/8" OD polyhose. Similar to icemaker line, rather rigid stuff.
7) Now you have 3 outlets for water. Run one line to a shutoff valve and a good length of that 3/8" line for filling spray bottles, hand watering (flushing) or just for a cold drink! Hang somewhere handy.
8) More 3/8 line runs to the other two legs of the splitter, to shut off valves near each reservoir.
9) After the shutoff valve, run more 3/8 line to the float valve in your res, these all take 3/8 white plastic compression fittings (push fittings) available at lowes.

Turn it on, check for leaks, and you're done! Now your reservoirs will never be empty or dry, and you can make all the water you'd ever need on demand.

All about Growroom cooling: Keepin' it cool man (my 1st published article)
How to automate reservoir top offs or most anything water-related
The only UV-B lighting thread worth a damn
CO2 for dummies

Big grow:
The 36KW medical/perpetual basement

Lazyman is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.