What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Micro Muffler **DIY**

C

Cozy Amnesia

My new cab will be located a few feet from where I lay my head every night, so I need it to be very quiet. But the fan I'm using is a 197cfm S&P and, although it is relatively silent compared to inline fans, I would like it to be a little quieter still. Most of the noise it makes is from the air rushing around, so a muffler should help a lot. But I also needed it to be micro-sized to fin in my cab, hence the MICRO MUFFLER!

First I built a box the size of a shoe box around the exhaust vent. I used hard-board and aluminum foil tape to construct it.

I lined the inside walls with fiberglass insulation, the type that is designed to be wrapped around water pipes.

I then put the fiberglass around the floor of the muffler and exhaust port. I also put some foam around hole the fan will go into to reduce vibrations.

I turned on the fan and, "WOAH...I DON'T HEAR HARDLY ANYTHING!!" I was really surprised at how much it hushed the fan down and how much air was rushing out of the exhaust port. Its about as loud as a noisy desktop PC and I have no complaints about that :D.

I'm really satisfied with the end result and I hope this tutorial can help others out there achieve the same. If you have any questions, I'm all ears!

C

Cozy Amnesia

Glad you guys like it!

Looks good. How big is that cab.

about 3 sqft I think, but only maybe 2 sqft of growing space. I just finished building it today after about 4 days of hard work. :friends:

I'm going to add a carbon scrubber later on. That will slow air flow down a bit, but I can afford it. My fan is gushing out plenty of air on the lower speed setting, and I'm thinking about getting a speed controller to turn it down even more! S&P fans are da shit.

buck912

Very nice. I want to build my own. Thanks for posting.

Do you think there will be any problem with hairs of the fiberglass being blown out into your room?

Dr 4 four

Nice build Cozy. Great to see your new cab. Good idea using hard-board. It will be interesting to see how much quieter it will be once your carbon scrubbers installed.

hayze

If you put the scrubber on the exhaust side it would probably be silent. Like buck said I wonder if loose fiberglass will be an issue.

0p0rat0r

Cool idea. Nice little cab you got there. Is that for flowering or vegging?

I had a cab running a 105 cfm elicent inline fan that had the air gushing out noise and when I moved the carbon filter so air was being pushed through it rather than pulled through it I found it did indeed act like a muffler.

C

Cozy Amnesia

No problems so far with fiberglass stands getting blown around. Its pretty well matted, even when I was cutting it up it held together. I didn't even use gloves and my hands where not itchy at all.

oporator, it's for both I guess.

Cozy, I beg humbly. Please show us a thread with you mounting a scrubber to this exact setup as it's just what I'd like to do in my cab.

Much thanks. Your ideas are really well thought out.

C

Cozy Amnesia

Thanks BigBlack! I'll make the scrubber when it starts to get stinky.

fat-rob

invoking fiberglass into your grow room setup? Wow, Thats a damn smart thing to do. youve given me ideas thats for sure. Cant wait to see ur results man. k+

C

Cozy Amnesia

invoking fiberglass into your grow room setup? Wow, Thats a damn smart thing to do. youve given me ideas thats for sure. Cant wait to see ur results man. k+

lol, at first I thought you were being sarcastic. the "k+" threw me off. Thanks for the compliments man!

Dr 4 four

If anything, you could take a piece of pantyhose and attach it around the exhaust hole. That would work as a screen to catch possible loose fiberglass strands or pesky gnats that are trying to get out.

C

Cozy Amnesia

I think its getting louder.....:confused:

It could just be my imagination though.

I think its getting louder.....:confused:

It could just be my imagination though.
Did you say it's as quiet as a PC but in your other thread did you say it's the same as a game running in an XBox 360?
Well...there are different PC cases out there, mine is truly near silent...but a 360 is a 360. I doubt I'd like laying next to a 360 to sleep either. You may well have addressed the air sound...but what about mechanical sound? Most of an XBox360's sound is mechanical btw, so if it sounds the same....