What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sero´s south american DIY home cabinet 1st grow attempt, 400 W SOG

sero!

Hi to all you people here at IC! :wave:

before starting with this grow issues i would like to introduce myself. My name is sero, i live in a small flat with a great garden in the south of south america and i´m a begginer in the art of growing cannabis. As this´ isn´t legal here, my only chance is indoors. Been doing it for a year, reading and learning a lot from the forums here, making mistakes, struggling with clone rooting, mother plants and growing space, and finally i´m aproaching my first ¨serious¨ grow, hoping that the previous experiences + the help and advice from you people in these forum would turn it into a decent crop.

I have two strains to work with, critical by dynafem and the other one is called ¨caramelicious¨ purchased from amsterdammarijuanaseeds. This first grow will be mainly caramelicious, only because the criticals are a recent adittion and I only have two little mummies that can`t output the amount of clones I need.

My setup is the following:

1 cabinet for mums and clonning: 2.6 ft x 2.19 x 3.2 (0.8 cm x 0.67 x 1.00), the shelf divides 2 spaces: upper one 2.3 ft tall with 4 x 20 watt regular daylight fluorescent tubes for mummies and the other 0.9 ft with 2 x 20 regular daylight fluorescent tubes for clones.

picture.php

album.php

1 cabinet for vegging and flowering: 4.6 ft x 2 x 6.56 (1.4 cm x 0.6 x 2), the shelf divides 2 spaces: the lower 2.62 ft tall with 5 x 40 watts regular daylight fluorescent tubes for vegging the clones and the upper 3.94 ft tall with 1x 400 watts hps for flowering.

album.php
picture.php

And this is my plan (and also where I need your help!) :violin:

I plan running a perpetual (or semi perpetual) SOG harvesting every 2 months or so, if I can produce the amount of cuttings needed. This is my biggest goal now, due to my lack of space and experience in keeping healthy little mothers and rooting clones.

I decided to go organics, using between 15 and 20 (guess 15 will fit better) 2lt (0.44 gal) pots and my own soil mix, with stuff i can get near my home (and can afford!) , since I don´t have a car and do all my shopping in my bike :pointlaug this would be:

3 parts top soil (i dont know how it´s called in english, guess top soil is right, this might be regular gardening soil)
1 part compost (maybe 1/2?)
1/2 part perlite
1/2 worm castings
blood meal
bone meal

how much of the meals would you use in the 2 lts pots? any other suggestions? i`ll mix the soil, fill and water the pots at least 20 days before transplanting, mostly for the bone meal to break down, i think this would help.

Well my friends, the real show will start in a week or so when mummies grow big enough to cut the first batch of clones. Meanwhile i was doing some research about rooting mediums, read the whole ¨cloning with jj scorpio¨ thread but i´m still wondering what to use, since i can´t get rapid rooters here. I was wondering if a mix with 50% or so of perlite and soil will do? Adding peat? regular soil?

Update next week, hope to hear your thoughts on these topics in the meantime!

sero

PD: excuse me if there are mistakes in my english, my first language is spanish

Last edited:

sero!

welcome CoonHunter!

Maybe tomorrow i´ll be cutting some clones, any thoughts about what rooting medium to use? Really need some advice! :wallbash:

Weedninja

You might want to try to build a bubble cloner. If not, I used to use 1/2 vermiculite and 1/2 perlite and that worked pretty good. If you can't get peat pucks, you can try peat and a little lime to sweeten it up. Try to stay away from soil, it takes too long to get roots.

Don't worry about your English, it's fine.

Bon.G.Loder

Can't wait to see the cabinet in action Sero! I'll be watching your thread closely.

Hey might be traveling to the northern part or your continent later this year if my bro and his pal get off their butts.

D

dankitydank

that tree/chair is amazing. how did you do that??
good luck on your grow!

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
i've just started using bricked GH coco coir for my cloning and its working great.
Also have add success with perlite beds/perlite wick systems for both seeds and clones.

Nice cabinet you've built. Looking like it could be a nice grow show :joint:

just be careful with the blood and bone meal. I seriously messed up my last grow towards the end because I didn't calculate right so I had too much of one, not enough of the other.

sero!

thank you guys for the feedback!

weedninja: i´ll try bubble cloning in the future, dont want to struggle with that now. Thank you for the advice!

Bon.G.Loder: see you man, thanks for stopping! Don´t doubt it, if you can, come to south america, you´ll have a great time.

dankitydank: that´s not me, not my chair.. not even my post!

FirstTracks: I can´t get coco coir near my house, and don´t have a car, if i can get some i´ll surely give it a try. When you talk about using perlite, do you mean 100% perlite? I used
a peat-perlite mix 3:1 this time, should I try using only the perlite?

I´ve had seriously messed up my last grow also due to wrong amounts of meals, welcome to the club!

sero!

hmmmmmm dont know how to delete this post! Made a mistake while uploading the cloning update but couldn´t delete, so i edited and left this here...

Last edited:

sero!

Well, did some cloning yesterday :woohoo:, finally I decided to use peat with some perlite 3 : 1. Took 24 caramelicious for this grow and 8 criticals for mummies. Today I went to my friend house who I gave 3 clones, they are in week five of flowering and have developed a big bud and nice smell. Seeing those make me wanna grow some criticals now!

no more talking, let´s go to the photos:

these are the caramelicious mummies before cutting the clones:

picture.php

critical mummies:

picture.php

and here´s how i´ve done it:

cut a branch, at least 4 nodes:

picture.php

took of one fan leave, trim some leaf:

picture.php

make a 45 degree cut using a sharp blade:

picture.php

dip it in rooting hormone:

picture.php

and then...

picture.php

clones in da dome!

picture.php

and now it´s looking like this:

picture.php

well my friends, that´s all for today, thank you very much for the feedback, update in a couple of the days. Any advice is welcome as usual!

Bon.G.Loder

mmmm carmelicious sound nice and resinous.

sero, I like the mini clone tutorial. Now I know either way works, but do you know if cloning w/ more or less nodes make any difference on the rooting either strength or length on time to take? Mine are generally as small as I believe will survive, now the one in my thread is honestly the smallest I got to take. I can't quite see what you have in the end of the 1st clone dome?

I've only used rooting gels..... Have you tried both?

CoonLover

sero, ladies are tall and slanky.. Looks great, your cloning looks good.

I did the same, clones, powder and dome. out of nine, eight rooted..

I'm enjoying the show

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
sero:looks like you got your cloning all worked out.
to answer your question: Yes, I meant 100% perlite. you should be just fine with that peat perlite mix though.

things are lookin good

sero!

Bon.G.Loder: i wish so man.. this is a clone gift from a friend, first time growing this one, dont know anything about it, bur definitely has a good and tasty name!
More nodes definitely works better, I try to put 2 in the medium, sometimes one ;) What you see there is my humid/thermometer, im checkin the temp and humidity inside the dome, if it goes wrong, this time i want to know what happened!
I only use a rooting hormone in powder, the only i can get near here, i don´t live in a big city, and don´t have a car, I drive a bike :) greetings man!

CoonHunter: thank you man! Hope to have the same succes!

FirstTracks: thank you! the next time i´ll try the perlite in a batch and the peat with another, we´ll see which works better!

i´ll update in a few days to see how the clones are doing, stay tuned!

Bon.G.Loder

Well good luck on that strain, I'm sure it'll be drippin' resin like maple syrup from a tree!

Thought it was a humid/thermometer, didn't recognize the style. Yeah I'm all about finding out how each component effects my ladies. I'm trying to collect more and more data all the time.
Gotta pay attention to everything to maximize the benefits and I've only just begun!

sero!

Today is day 5 and the clones are looking good, although there´s some yellowing in two or three of them, as you will see. The dome has been totally closed, now I´ve open a corner for some ventilation. Temperatures went between 20 and 26, mostly around 25. Well, i´ll update when roots start showing, it´s not very exciting seeing how the clones root, i guess... :yeahthats

picture.php

menawhile, any advice in the amounts of meal and soilmix to use when transplanting is welcome! :1help:

see you, stay tuned!

E

EllieGrows

The grow is looking great, my cabinet is shaping up to look a lot like yours. Best of luck.

sero!

EllieGrows: hi ellie! thank you! hope to see your cabinet finished and in action soon!

Bon.G.Loder: hi bong! the kids are allright, the caramelicious one are looking healthier and more sturdier than the criticals that are a little droopy, but green and looking not so bad. Today is day 8 and I decided to remove the dome, dont want to get mould or rot in there. Tomorrow i´ll take some pics, and also check for roots, but i dont think they have spread enough, the holes of my tray are big compare to the ones i ussualy see people using, and if they´re not fill with roots it´s hard to get the rootball out without fucking it up.

white russian: thank you for stopping!