What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY light mover thought

kiwiboy

Been thinking about building a light mover. Some parts that I have come up with was the Small motor from in a osllating fan(free, already got one), these motors do the osllating part for the fan and do about 4-5rpm.
Second part was a forward/reverse switch from a corded drill(free, already got one), . Doesn't need much pressure for the switch to change direct. Thought if there were stops at each end of the room, then when the drill forward/reverse switch hit them the light can change directions.

One draw back that I can think of is there is no delay at each end when changing direction.

What are your thoughts? Apart from the rail, am I missing something?

Ps I am Kiwi and Dutch, so i am a real tight arse when it comes to money. lol

kiwiboy

Well, I have made up a prototype, it is REALLY ruff build. Just wanted to check that the concept worked before I build it properly. Total cost $58NZ. To buy a ready made light mover is $500.00. I am using a synchronous motor from a osculating fan (5rpm) and a standard sliding door rail. When the mover hits the stop the motor stalls and then goes the other way, one of the weird things that synchronous motors do.

The next step is to add a couple of micro switches, a 555 chip and a relay to make it stop at each end for 30seconds

picture.php

picture.php

little wing

I have dreamed of a light mover that leaves the light on 24 hours and moves from flower room to flower room. can it be done?

S

stoned teacher

Motor from oscillating fan! genius! That's what I was lacking when I tried to think of how I'd do this....

kiwiboy

Well, the light mover is all done and going. I'll put it in the flower room next weekend.

This pic show the control box, inside is a timer ac/dc transformer and relay. When the switch on the boxes hits the stop, The mover stops for a set amount of time(any where from 2 seconds to 3.5minutes)
picture.php

Pic of the running gear and motor
picture.php

Just another angle of the setup. I have had to put sandpaper on the track where the drive motor hits the end, this is to give it some traction for when it goes the other way. I'll glue that loose sandpaper down later.
picture.php

I got a couple of videos of it running, but don't know how to upload videos to icmag.

S

stoned teacher

I'm LOVING it!

I think more people aren't chiming in pumped up about it because they wouldn't or couldn't venture into the electronics of the control box? Or b/c more people don't use movers?

At the end of the day I may very well try to get a good deal on my own instead of DIY, b/c like you said it's a rough build (I'm sure especially you as the guinea pig) and I'd have to figure out the chip/relay part, which prolly isn't too difficult (I have mild elect. understanding) but it's new.

Kudos n props on some cool DIY :respect:

this is frign awsum man!!! Pontiac has got to see this thing. this would fit nice in his diy link thread, imo. nice work kiwiboy!!!

kiwiboy

Thanks mate.

And if people are not worried about having a delay at each end, then there is no need for electronics. The microwave turntable motor can be plug directly into the mains.

ItsAllOver

Devil's Advocate
Yea, that's what I was thinking. Thanks for the idea about the microwave motor, that's great! I was thinking about going with a larger one and reducing the current a bit, but that's a nice idea.

perp

Looking cool kiwiboy. Would love a shot inside the electronics box. nice idea to use a power drill reverse button.:yes:

ItsAllOver

Devil's Advocate
Yea, good call on locating that DPDT. I actually have a drill laying around with a motor and direction switch. This is why I am a pack rat! I'm going to try it using the drill motor!
I second the request for the electronics shot...

W

W.P.

Really nice.:abduct: Movers like the 3.5 can be be found for around 100 though....

W

W.P.

Flea bay, craigslist and Hydro shops that sell used equipment ( more than you might think):joint: Takes a little work.