What's new

air cooled hood glass

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
just wondering if I need a special type of glass for my hood, or if regular ol' glass is fine, I would hate to have glass shatter and rain all over my parade Thanks in advance

Guvnor

4mm toughened glass is used in most hoods over here- Im unsure if regualr glass would be up to the job. The radiant heat given off the bulbs is immense and if youve ever touched a air-cooled hood thats been on for a few hours you'll know what Im talking about, plus when the hoods turn off, the glass is going from one extreme to another and over time I'd imagine this would deteriate normal glass.

Just my opinion but I have been known to wrong before :)

Guvnor :wave:

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
cool thanks alot makes sense, especially since ive had some glass cookware shatter on the stove top before

eglider

Gonna go out on a limb here but I think it would have to be tempered to get a u.l. listing. If tempered breaks its little cubes instead of scary movie death shards of glass.

J

JackTheGrower

It's not your home depot glass.

I'm sure it's a tempered glass.. Has to resist heat changes and impact

Also remember that it needs to be kept clean. Even a fine layer of dust cuts down effective emanation of light energy.

Filter the inlet if possible.

Jack

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
cool, so would the depot have some tempered or am I going to need to hit the phone book? maybe the hydro shop carries glass panels? thanks for the bit of advise on filtering the intake also

Tonatiuh

its me Dave man open up the door...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
dro shop has panels.i wouldnt even think of using regular glass bro,like said above it needs to be able to stand impact and heat...i coildnt tell you how many times i have been down low workin with a plant and stood up and bummped my head on the panels on my hoods.if this was regular glass it definetly would have broke a couple times i hit it hard,that coulda been real bad for me if it was regular glass.
peace-T-

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
yeah im clumbsy as crap too... didn't even consider that what a mess that would be huh? a liter of blood all over some premium nugz, no thanks. good lookin out Tonatiuh i just got back from the dro shop and knew i was forgetting to ask for something considering I was on this thread 15 minutes before goin...

H

headfortrinity

Hood glass is a tempered high clarity safety glass so it doesn't break easy and it passes light better. You can get replacement glass from most any hydro store for around $20.

Tempered glass is the way to go. I have two used hoods that need glass to be air-cooled and the store where I picked them up at says from them the replacement glass is abour $30 Canadian. I will check out the local auto glass shop as they may work with tempered glass and be able to cut a couple of lenses for my hoods. Summer is here now and my flowers are blooming and my hood could use some air-cooling :p Safe and happy growing to all. Cheers

Sweet Inc.

I've tested and used normal glass for about 1 month with a 400W hps.
It didn't break because of heat, but chipping from the edges beacause of use was a problem. My DIY cooltube wasn't tempered either.
I asked a glass shop how much would a tempered glass for my hood cost, They told me 70€:noway: because it has to be tempered after being cut. Guess hood manufacturers get them in bulk for a low price like 30$...

Definately go for tempered glass, if not for better durability, or light penetration, then for peace of mind.

Hello there. I am going to go for the replacement lenses from hydrofarm. Could anyone tell me where I may find the verdamned flanges that you stick on the reflectors so you can outfit them with cooling ducts? Thanks alot. Cheers.

tree d

Safety First.

I agree with Sweet Inc. : I have used regular cheap glass from a framed poster, years ago. I never had it shatter due to heat, but chipping on the corners from removal and handling is dangerous.

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
one of my catch phrases is "peace of mind is priceless" I think that it definitely goes hand in hand with this

toastfighter2

For your flanges, I would check at a couple heating and cooling outlets first, and if they don't have what you need(or can be modified to meet your needs), your hydro shop will carry them.

RadaRada

does anyone know any stores online that actually sell tempered glass panes because i cannot find any as of yet

i found a store online that will cut panels too any size, however they have a minumum shipping and handling charge of $25... so i would have to pay $43 for an $18 panel.. thats BS lol i will not pay that, $18 is fine but damnnn shipping

Last edited: