What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grafting Hemp on Hops and vice versa

McSnappler

Lurk.
Veteran
How tough is the Japanese Hop plant to care for, for those that have tried this? Do you treat them like MJ plants? What about feeding etc?

Very curious, want to get on this asap.

edit: http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=92130 is a decent thread... for mother purposes, seems there would be no point using hops.. you could literally just have a multi strain MJ mother plant, without the different strains ever affecting one another. :joint:

Also sounds a bit hit and miss though. Once I've got some established mums I will start to fuck about with them, rather than trying it right now.

Last edited:

Wait...What?

Veteran
YES it works, and the branch will continue to be what it was before grafting

Say you had all sorts of Fusarium wilt in your soil, but still wanted to grow heirloom varieties of tomatos - what you do is grow out some Maxifort tomatoes, to use as root stock [the wine makers do this all the time with their grape arbors] and then graft your heirloom tomatos onto the super mega disease resistant root stock. Thats how you can grow the heirlooms with no disease resistance in the land that is full of disease.

I pondered doing this with peppers - but I couldn't figure out how to do it at a profit. Sell you one plant that grows a sweet bull's horn, a nice jalapeño with lots of corking, and either a habanero or a tiny little thai pepper, for those who prefer extreme heat. Unipepper! [omnipepper?]

Plants are so much fun.

Londinium

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Interesting stuff...About 12 years ago I grafted a stud male branch to each of 4 different fave females for a couple of runs to see if it would work to simplify my Single male to mutiple female one-room pollination's.....It works fine and is easy to do,but the problem I had was the Male branches flowered maybe 2 weeks earlier than I liked for a Healthy seed yield in first run(Indica male x IndiSat and Indi female's)....But was Improved in second run because the male was a slow-blooming Sativa crossed with mostly Indica Male's so the timing of pollen release was much better and so was seed yield.
But that made it a strain-specific technique so wasn't constantly viable for me.
I have seen a plant flowered with 3 different strains on one rootstock successfully b4 but I haven't used the technique for Multi-strain Mum's(although its a great Idea)mainly because I find it easier to keep Mum's Bonsai when space is an issue. Keep it Green JBO ;]

ArcticBlast

It's like a goddamned Buick Regal
Veteran
this thread just blew my mind, completely.

I've always heard of the weed/hops graft, but had a) never seen pictures and b) could never figure out a reason to care.

one mother, many strains ... genius
ArcticBlast

McSnappler

Lurk.
Veteran
I was pondering again last night. When I've got a little bunch of mammas, I don't want to lose them, even if I lost my grow.

It would be great to spend a few months grafting them all onto a mega-mamma, which could easily be kept at a different location. Asking someone to look after 10 mums is a bit extreme, asking that person to just have one plant is much easier..

L

LolaGal

Well, one would not need hops to have a multi branched mother plant.

Just graft all the different mothers to one MJ plant. Each branch a different mother. It would be easier....... :twocents:

canned abyss1

Veteran
Well, one would not need hops to have a multi branched mother plant.

Just graft all the different mothers to one MJ plant. Each branch a different mother. It would be easier....... :twocents:

That is what I was referring too, not using hops. I actually tried it about 4 or 5 days ago, and so far the cutting is still alive. It is Mr. Nice grafted onto Sputnik 2.0. Hopefully this thing stays alive.

SwissMast3r

Graftin' Hops on Hemp *success*

Graftin' Hops on Hemp *success*

High,

I made new photos. It grows. ;-)

gegzuver_hops_on_hemp.jpg

gegzuver_hops_on_hemp1.jpg

PIDS_Ho_o_He.jpg

PIDS_Ho_o_He1.jpg

I am still rather tired from the weekend....:sleep:

Until later then...

:wave:
da swissi

treal

To reopen this question, what about a perclinal chimera?

To reopen this question, what about a perclinal chimera?

Okay, so the myth of growing hops scions on cannabis stalks and getting thc hops leaves is obviously bunk. However, it is possible to create new morphological types through grafting. This question is discussed some here: http://www.bio.net/bionet/mm/plantbio/1995-March/005898.html . Basically you could graft the hops and cannabis together and then after the graft is finished you cut off/wound the graft, making sure you cut through at the point of intersection of the tissues. Most of the shoots which happen to come out will be one or the other, but shoots which grow at the proper fusion point of the two tissues will have combined characteristics of both plants. This is called a chimera, and it can either be sectoral of periclinal. A periclinal would be interesting to if it had one or two of the outer layers with cannabis cells and the inner layer as hops. It does seem that with a little time and patience you could get a chimera with hops leaves/cones but with funky trichomes on them. Ivan Michurin, a Russian botanist created over 300 new species with innovative grafting methods. So it is possible to create new morphological types through grafting. Now all ya'll in the Netherlands get going on this and let us know what you find!

See pgs. 374-384 of this text to see pictures of chimeras and read about the technique and biology underlying them.
http://books.google.com/books?id=6e...um=10#v=onepage&q=grafting periclinal&f=false

Am I way off here? I'm really surprised someone hasn't posted about exploits such as these somewhere online, but I didn't seem to find it.

K.J

Kief Junkie's inhaling the knowledge!
Veteran
Wow, the mega-mother plant (tm) sounds amazing. Seems possible based on what little knowledge I have of cannabis botany. But, wow.

vanbl

See pgs. 374-384 of this text to see pictures of chimeras and read about the technique and biology underlying them.
http://books.google.com/books?id=6e...um=10#v=onepage&q=grafting periclinal&f=false

On page 382, the book talks about how the fruit of the chimera plants contains seeds that either produced one plant or the other, or were sterile.

Could a cannabis chimera be used to produce 'sterile' flowers as in zero seeds (even with pollination occurring) with all the buddy goodness we've come to know and love?

Interesting mad-scientist-y stuff here.

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
treal...wow...welcome to IC..that is quite a first post. I have a large hops plant in the garden and have read a few threads on this topic..maybe next spring I'll try a simple graft and see what happens..thanks for posting..DD

Latest posts

Latest posts