What's new

Can someone explain this LUCAS so called FORMULA to me...

From another site I found....

General Hydroponics Flora Series Feeding Strategy - Lucas Formula

G-M-B (Grow-Micro-Bloom)
0-5-10 - For Vegetative cycle (18/6)
0-8-16 - For Flowering cycle (12/12)

The numbers above indicate the number of milliliters (ml) of Flora Grow, Micro or Bloom formulas that I use in one gallon (US Liquid) of nutrients.

You will notice I dont use any of the Flora “Grow” formula, do not need to, the Flora "Micro" provides plenty of Nitrogen.

There are two ways to work with this formula:

1. Top off the reservoir daily using a pH corrected water solution as required to maintain full reservoir level. After adding back an amount of water equal to the amount of your reservoir capacity you should change the reservoir and put in fresh solution.

2. Top off the reservoir daily using a pH corrected 100% strength nutrient solution as required to maintain full reservoir level. Continue to use this nutrient solution without dumping the tank unless the PPM rises above acceptable levels.

Between vegetative and flowering cycles you should dump your nutrients, then flush (possibly with Clearex) to remove salt buildups, then change to the other feeding program. Always shake your GH nutrient bottles before using them!

For young plants, just transplanted into the hydro setup, give them 50% strength nutrient mix to prevent overfeeding them while their young. Gradually bring up the mix to full strength as they grow over the next few weeks or so.

The lucas formula is normally intended for use with RO or near 0 PPM water.

NOTE: The Lucas formula eliminates the need for Epsom salts to correct (Magnesium) Mg deficiencies in most normal feeding programs recommended by manufacturers. Cannabis needs a lot of Magnesium to thrive.

The Flora Micro is providing the Nitrogen and the Magnesium in the proper balance, thus there is no need for the Grow formula and little or no room under the maximum acceptable ppm limit of 1600 @ 0.7 conversion.

Calculated EC/TDS levels:

EC microsiemen:
0-4-8: 946 µS
0-5-10: 1184 µS
0-8-16: 1894 µS

TDS @ 0.5 conversion:
0-4-8 = 473 ppm
0-5-10 = 592 ppm
0-8-16 = 947 ppm

TDS @ 0.7 conversion:
0-4-8 = 663 ppm
0-5-10 = 829 ppm
0-8-16 = 1326 ppm

Addback Calculator - (For Advanced Users)

Say you were running the 0-8-16 formula, at 0.7 conversion with a 22 gallon res. When you first fill it up, your ppm will be around 1330.

Now you have been growing for a week, and some of the water has been taken up by the plants, some has evaporated, and now your res is at 947 ppm. You need to get your ppm from 947 to 1330. Here is the equation:

((target - current) / target) * 8 ml per gallon * res gallons = Flora Micro (ml) double this figure to get Flora Bloom (ml)

Example:

((1330 - 947) / 1330) * 8 * 22
(383 / 1330) * 8 * 22
0.3 * 8 * 22 = 53 ml Flora Micro

53 ml Flora Micro, double that and you get 106 ml Flora Bloom. So 53 ml Flora Micro and 106 ml Flora Bloom to add back to your 22 gallon res to get you from 947 to 1330.

Using Hard Water GH Micro

I had been experimenting with using the Hard water Micro as a substitute for the normal Flora Micro, this to account for my hard 350 PPM water and the lack of a large enough RO filter at the time. It has worked well for me. I just kept my reservoir below 1150 PPM @ .5 conversion and its all good.

One tip - do not pH down this stuff, the hard water micro will drop pH gradually over the next 24 hours, for example I mix up a batch, it is at like 6.2, the next day, its at 5.6-5.8 after running in the system for a while. If I pH downed that to 5.7 before putting it in the system, it ended up as low as 4.8-5.2 by the next day.

My conclusion, the hard water micro was buffering the alkaline crud in my water, it just doesnot do it ASAP fast like the phosphoric acid.

NOW I only use RO water on my grow...

SO Lucas formula is great right?

So I should NOT buy the 3 part.. just 2??
http://www.generalhydroponics.com/genhydro_US/floraseries.html

Just the micro and bloom?

They don't make a dry form right? I'm kind of cheap I know it's expensive... I have been using the dry Maxi Series for years because I bought bulk and it was cheaper.... This can not be used right?

http://www.generalhydroponics.com/genhydro_US/maxiseries.html

I have a big res.... I'm running the 12 bucket RDWC.. i don't want to spend an arm and leg on nuts.... cause looks like I can use those bottles quick!

So one PPM for the whole VEG? and one PPM for the whole BLOOM? is that correct?! I haven't been doing that for years.. isn't that different than what Blazeoneup suggests?

How about PH swing?

I have PH and PPM meter.

Thanks in advance!

D

dongle69

They don't make a dry form right? I'm kind of cheap I know it's expensive... I have been using the dry Maxi Series for years because I bought bulk and it was cheaper.... This can not be used right?

MaxiBloom is Lucas formula in dry form.
Just mix it in until you reach your desired EC.

tejashidrow

or Do LUCAS with Floranova bloom....8ml per gallon... THATS it nothing else... And boy... does it rock!!! Do a search for Lucas floranova and you will see...or do i mean READ??? ;)

or Do LUCAS with Floranova bloom....8ml per gallon... THATS it nothing else... And boy... does it rock!!! Do a search for Lucas floranova and you will see...or do i mean READ??? ;)

isn't it 0-8-16 so 8ml of Micro and 16 of bloom?

gonna do a search for that now...

But isn't what I posted a "search on lucas floranova"?

unless floranova bloom isn't that same as flora bloom...

MaxiBloom is Lucas formula in dry form.
Just mix it in until you reach your desired EC.

So don't use MaxiGro during VeG???

Just maxiBloom through veg and bloom and then bush master when the height is ideal?

Do u recommended slowing increasing PPM (500-1400ppm) as the plant develops like Blazeoneup?

D

dongle69

So don't use MaxiGro during VeG???
Just maxiBloom through veg and bloom and then bush master when the height is ideal?
Do u recommended slowing increasing PPM (500-1400ppm) as the plant develops like Blazeoneup?

If you want Lucas, use only the MaxiBloom all the way, same ec/ppm.
Bushmaster is a whole other animal....

You may be confusing the Flora series with the Nova series...

AHHH i was and did a search and saw they were 2 different things....

I thought u guys were just short handing... 2 similar names... DOH! Never used other nutes besides the one I am using... I am stupid with nutes...

Thanks dongle u confirmed!!!

Dongle cool I get it now! Just maxibloom all the way from veg to Trim!! No micronutes even with RO water! So maybe I don't have to buy any nutes (Cheap-o!!!)....

Why would they sell maxiveg? Why is Lucas better than using maxiveg then maxibloom?:wallbash:

D

dongle69

MaxiGrow is better for veg in my experience.
It is just not Lucas formula.
You can use Lucas to veg, it is just not as lush/green or as fast growing.

F

flat5th

All you need to know about Lucas from his mouth directly:
http://cannabis-world.org/cw/showthread.php?t=892

I love the Lucas formula. I fill my res with water, add 0-8-16. It brings my PPM up to ~1350 and my pH down to 5.9...PERFECT!!!

Over the next few days, as water evaporates/is used by plants, the PPM will rise to about 1800 and pH will gently fall to around 5.5. That's when I top off with plain tap water. It brings the PPM back down to 1350 and the pH back up to 6.0ish.

I completely change the water and fresh nutes every 14 days. It isn't necessary to do a full res change, but it makes me feel better.

Lucas has made growing a much simpler task. And the plants LOVE IT!

Fifth.

D

dongle69

Over the next few days, as water evaporates/is used by plants, the PPM will rise to about 1800 and pH will gently fall to around 5.5.

That is a sign of a problem.
You must have some serious evaporation going on!

D

dongle69

The ppm jump and ph drop is unusual.
That is usually a sign of nutrient salt buildup.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
I love the Lucas formula. I fill my res with water, add 0-8-16. It brings my PPM up to ~1350 and my pH down to 5.9...PERFECT!!!

Over the next few days, as water evaporates/is used by plants, the PPM will rise to about 1800 and pH will gently fall to around 5.5. That's when I top off with plain tap water. It brings the PPM back down to 1350 and the pH back up to 6.0ish.
Just for one run, try using pH down to hit around 5.2. You shouldn't have to adjust it at all after that. Compare that yield to your 5.9 and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. :D

F

flat5th

Alright. Dongle and HydroSoil, you guys are going against all the reading, research, and experience I've gathered.

Dongle - I read in the "ask Lucas" thread that the evap/drink ppm jump and pH drop is what we want and is perfectly normal. GH nutes are acidic and when mixed in the 0-8-16 ratio should bring ph to an acceptable range when ~1350 ppm is achieved. I find that to be true. As water evap/drinks nutes are left behind hence creating a stronger solution. Naturally that solution is more acidic and pH is lower. Adding tap water (7.8 ph) dilutes the mix, bringing it back to ~1350 ppm and ~5.9 pH. Can you tell me where I'm going wrong?

HydroSoil - can you tell me why 5.2 is optimal when P and K are only available in the higher 5.8-6.0 range? That is what we are tryng to provide in flower, correct?

I will cite my sources later. This reply is being done from my phone.

Thanks guys.
Fifth.

D

dongle69

I read in the "ask Lucas" thread that the evap/drink ppm jump and pH drop is what we want.......As water evap/drinks nutes are left behind hence creating a stronger solution.

I think you read incorrectly.
Nutrient concentration should not rise, nor should ph fall, unless you are feeding (watering) too much, or your roots are dying (can be caused from over watering), or you are getting extreme reservoir evaporation not related to watering the plants.
When a system is properly balanced, nutrient concentration will stay within a small range.
The nutrients should be getting used up at the same rate as the water, leaving the leftover water in the reservoir at approximately the same ec level as when full.
That is how Lucas (and many others) are able to go up to 3 harvests before doing a reservoir change.
Balance is the key.
If you are getting a rise from 1350 to 1800 ppm in your reservoir after a few days, something isn't right.

Asil

This is all a first run for me, but I have done extensive reeading on it. I have to agree with Hydro I was seeing deficentices when running a 5.8-6.0 ph. I dropped it to 5.2-5.3 and my plants couldn't be happier. If your ppm are rising then this should be telling you that your plants are drinking up more water then nutes. Same for the opposite if they are falling then they want more food. The Lucas formula works amazingly well, My four week old plants are animals. It is smiple and easy to use. Just remember that at days 20-30 in flower let your ph swing up to 6.0-6.2 and you will not see the cal-mag defic that many do. Hydro has helped me alot and a few others, I hope that I explained this all correctly.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
howdy, y'all!

howdy, y'all!

one thing to consider when looking at all the ph charts showing availability is that they are depicting ideal ranges for uptake of each element. it does not mean that lockout occurs precisely at the points illustrated

Latest posts

Latest posts