What's new

alternative odor enhancement/control

• Thread starter purpledomgoddes
  • Start date
P

purpledomgoddes

this tutorial is motivated by the thread ghetto odor control https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=36061, and poster hydro-soil...

was using the method described below prior to reading ^ method, but are similar.
this method does not necessarily use the disputed pine-sol for fragrance. instead, simple essential oils are used.

4-xyz simple dishwashing to heavy duty sponges
dollar store or home improvement store. depending on size of garden, can use 4-24. or can use any other moisture-holding material that permits air-flow thru it.

fan(s)
can be stationary or oscillating, inline or other type; even ac filter/grille.

quality/dollar store essential oils/body oils/incense oils
for a garden >8x8x8, w/ mature, fruiting plants, sponges will dry out daily, so allocate ~1oz. of oil per week, to keep high level of desired fragrance prevalent over any other odor.
can use more than 1oz, if desired. can use 1oz. per heavy duty sponge to thoroughly saturate sponge+air flow w/ fragrance.
use lemon, pine, or other desired fragrance. musky frangrances seem to blend w/ odor of fruiting veggies, so contrast of citrus/light berry fragrances cancel out deep muskiness of transpiring/flowering plants.

cut
can up to double volume of essential/incense/body oils by cutting w/ unscented baby oil. cut @ 33-50% per volume of oil.

method(s)
>simply soak sponges, or other material(s) in essential oils until thoroughly saturated.
squeeze excess oils from sponge, and affix to back of stationary/oscillating fans.
soak sponges again when get/feel drier. usually 1-2 days.

>can also use nylon rope w/ wick. can actually cut piece of rope 8' long, or whatever the heighth of garden area/room is, affix rope to ceiling, place bottom end in container of oils, and rope will wick up oil all way to top.
several of these in room work.

>can pour into bucket, w/ fan on top blowing up+out, w/ holes drilled into sides, so that air from room is sucked into/mixed w/ oils.

>can use foam mat/old sofa cushion-type material as huge sponge. soak/pour in oil, have pan for drain, if want to really keep saturated. place in air flow.

>can use same principle as carbon filter, but use sponges/foam/air filter+essential oils, instead of activated carbon.

>there was/is evidently hazard to using pine-sol-type cleanser/disinfectant. other posters presented alternative solutions; like fabric softener, etc.

>pine oil found in pine-sol can be acquired w/ out other potentially harmful ingredients of cleanser. also, pine-oil seems to be pest repellant.

this is it. keeping it simple and sound.
entire garden will smell like lemons. just keep oil in sponges.

dont post pics, but description ^ should be easily duplicated, in any form viable to specific garden.
not promoting this as next best thing, or anything else. just works in this garden. may be duplicatable+helpful. may not be. hope it is.

all variations welcomed+encouraged.

*note: not claiming method eliminates odors either; just know that do not smell any odor of ripening fruits.
dont know exactly if odors bond to essntial oil molecules in sponge, during air passage, or if just masked, but just works - w/ out carbon. just oil+sponges.
do know that if oil soaked sponges are placed in back of inline fan, or other fan, only odor will that of fragrance of oil; not plants.

**in specific garden, use 4-8 dollar store sponges, saturated w/ lemon body oil, and placed on back of 18" stationary fan, ~1' above ground, facing ceiling. sponges dry out in 1-2 days, partially due to de-humidication.
also, placed in filter part of indoor air cleaner-type system, again, on sponges.

entire room smells like lemons, pine, orange spice, kush, or any other fragrance of essential oils selected.
when placed in exhaust/heat extraction system, will make entire area smell of particular oil.

do not use carbon scrubber/filter at all. only oil on sponges. no odor issues.

enjoy your garden.

Last edited:
P

purpledomgoddes

1 bag of soil moist
1 ounce of essential oils (preferable citrus/light berry)
1 shallow, rectangular tupperware-type container

1 teaspoon of soil moist into container
1 cup of water
1 teaspoon of essential oil

mix thoroughly. let sit/absorb. re-mix.

add additional soil moist, water, and essential oils until polymers are fully saturated w/ solution and expanded.

place in air flow; in front/back/inline.

choose oil fragrance carefully. will cancel all other odors out.

keep soil moist crystals wet w/ cup of water @ a time.

hope this helps.

P

purpledomgoddes

potential enhancement to method...

-place soil moist granules in trough.
-use small automatic dog/cat waterer to house water + oils.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
this may be helpful... may have seen these in public/general store restrooms... work very well...

w/ soil moist soaked in essential oils...
should have 00:00 odor concerns.

enjoy your garden!

Be careful with those. I picked one up to use in the common areas of my house and experienced issues with the chemicals in it, even on the 30min cycle time. This is not a small room either, I just happen to spend most of my day here. Wouldn't dream of having one of these around my flowering gals.

Note: I'm very sensitive to things. If I can feel/sense it, you probably don't want to have anything to do with it. :D

EDIT: Forgot to mention PDG, Totally bitchin' awesome thread. :D Thank you soooooo much! :D

Last edited:

*mistress*

Veteran
Be careful with those. I picked one up to use in the common areas of my house and experienced issues with the chemicals in it, even on the 30min cycle time. This is not a small room either, I just happen to spend most of my day here. Wouldn't dream of having one of these around my flowering gals.

Note: I'm very sensitive to things. If I can feel/sense it, you probably don't want to have anything to do with it. :D

EDIT: Forgot to mention PDG, Totally bitchin' awesome thread. :D Thank you soooooo much! :D
thank you hydro-soil... no more pine-sol for the garden!:D

yes, they can be deceptively strong. even invoking allergies, @ times.

use several... coordinated, so that they spray in 4.5 min intervals. the mini version works well too.

as far as around plants, use the mini version for veg. may be beneficial... may insert minimal c02 into the environment as well.

finding the right timing and location to place, so that kills odor, but doesnt over-power w/ fragrance is key. claim to be organic fragrance, believe. can imagine they went thru many test for ingredients, since they markets for households, which will be breathing it... still, some may find them to be too aromatic.

mini works just as good as regular freshmatic, especially in veg area, by intake + condenser side of ac, and in vehicles...

relatively inexpensive. really cheaper if purchased in bulk, online.

effective...

soil moist w/ dollar store essential oil, in rectangular containers, by small >10 coin fan is effective too...

enjoy your garden!

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
yes, they can be deceptively strong. even invoking allergies, @ times.
The scents may be organic but the chemical carrier is not. I don't have an allergic reaction, my body displays a chemical reaction. I'm quite familiar with my body's reaction to chemicals that are causing harm. Again, if I can sense that it's an issue, it's doing damage to you over time.

Please do not use these in areas that you spend a lot of time breathing in and out in. Thank you.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
they claim no cfc's. actual ingredients hard to find. reading data on aerosols may be helpful...
You seem to be completely missing my point. I'm HYPER sensitive and if I react to it, it's not a healthy environment for anyone. Period. Most people don't show any reaction to things like that for months or years with constant exposure but I'm one of those that it hits hard right away.

I'll repeat it one last time..... Don't use the Lysol automatic air fresheners in any area that you spend more than 30 minutes a day in. You've been warned.

(There MAY be automatic fresheners that are ok.... the Lysol brand is not.)

*mistress*

Veteran
You seem to be completely missing my point. I'm HYPER sensitive and if I react to it, it's not a healthy environment for anyone. Period. Most people don't show any reaction to things like that for months or years with constant exposure but I'm one of those that it hits hard right away.

I'll repeat it one last time..... Don't use the Lysol automatic air fresheners in any area that you spend more than 30 minutes a day in. You've been warned.

(There MAY be automatic fresheners that are ok.... the Lysol brand is not.)
sorry to hear no bueno for you, hydro-soil. did not miss your point, but is up to gardeners to filter raw data and come to own conclusions. some may have allergic reaction, some may not.

your critique is appreciated, hydro-soil. not minimized, nor discounted. as mfg states, product is not toy; and may be harmful. gardeners should be aware of potential dangers of inhalants. use precaution when handling...

not promoting, or advocating. only presenting variable that may be inserted if/when needed.

many people use the regular, generic aerosol cans (whether brand is wickair, glades, lysoll, etc etc), when they want to get rid of odors quickly. these are same thing, just has simple mechanical finger that uses aa batteries to press nozzle. not new... just able to time diffusion of aerosol, to fit garden/other odor needs.

hazards noted below, paraphrased from mfg:

[general warnings:]
may be harmful if directly inhaled...
may cause allergic reaction in some individuals...
do not spray towards face or body...
don not spray onto surfaces...
use in well ventilated areas away from sleeping areas...
for adult use only...
product is not a toy...
contains propellants, petroleum solvent and fragrances...

ideally, would place only in inline w/ exhaust. but have used in other places, in imagination. yes, may be dangerous/harmful. not for all gardens/situations.

just option for those that can engineer 1-x of these into the exhaust, w/ out inhaling it/inhaling to point of allergic reaction/, or, w/ out inhaling @ at.

there are many ways to make exhaust air flows circuitous... from stanley-type blowers, w/ a freshmatic on 1 side of the intake of the blower. scrubbing exhaust... to placing in condenser-side exhaust from ac... to using mini-type in veg room...

even if inhaling from a carbon filter exhaust, will have gassing-off. the carbon pellets w/ purple coating reduces this, but still have to shake up carbon filters every now and then. dust comes out... there may be many hazards that must be minimized, or worked-around... from hid lights, to recycling/disposal of spent fertilizer solution...

the real magic of the contraption is the automatic, or metered pulses. should be able to find organic aerosols+fragrances.

...or better yet, find/make a bottle the size that fits into the contraption (freshmatic), and simply fill a mister/spray bottle w/ 100% organic essential oils. now, instead of aerosol spraying, essential oils are...

either figure way to incorporate into exhaust channels - or - avoid altogether due to hazards associated w/ aerosols, etc.

again, just options for the garden/er.

enjoy your garden!

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
equal partz kitty litter and baby powder......will pull and mask the smell....
keep in grow room