What's new

Deer Dilemna Solved!

G

Scaramanga pulled up that old thread so I thought i would answer in a new thread so growers would be sure to see it.

Hey Scaramanga,

SUCCESS!!!!!!! THE DEER PROBLEM IS CONQUERED WITH 100% EFFECTIVNESS:

As some of you know, ive been working on a deer deterent by using local plants that animals dont eat to make a tea extract and then spraying it on my plants, in a hope of fooling the deer into believing he doesn't want to eat my pot plant. The problem i encountered was that many of these plants are poisonous and that's why they arent eaten. This was a big concern so i kept experimenting.

ONIONS. WILD ONIONS!!!. I made an extract of wild onions by putting a bunch in the blender with 3 tablespoons of neem oil, (a surfacant that helps adhere the scent to the plant w/ rain and such). I blend the ingedients, add 1 quart of water and spray. I have not had a plant touched by any animal. The scent of the wild onion concentrate formula seems much more potent than just plain old wild onions. I have a buddy that is adding 1/4 teaspoon of mentholatum to his mix instead of the neem oil and says it adds a putrid iintensity to the odor. This can be tailored to your deer if necessary.

I placed 3, 16" tender plants next to a deer path that leads to a deer lay. They wont touch them, as they stink of high heaven with onions.

I have a number of other deterents that are working very well that i will include in this thread after i get some pics, but if your planting now, mix up a good eye watering onion spray and get to work.

Finally.

G

Just a note:

I used my wifes blender for this concoction. I cleaned it well and placed it back under the sink. It took her 2 whole days to track down the odor and chew my ass.

I have tried everything to clean the odor of onions from the blender to no avail. I put both gasoline and alcohol in the blender and they just added thier scents to it.

The mixture is free and the results are good, but be prepared for an ass chewing and to buy her a new blender. Our old one is now in the grow shed.

♥Mo♥

Just a note:

I used my wifes blender for this concoction. I cleaned it well and placed it back under the sink. It took her 2 whole days to track down the odor and chew my ass.

I have tried everything to clean the odor of onions from the blender to no avail. I put both gasoline and alcohol in the blender and they just added thier scents to it.

The mixture is free and the results are good, but be prepared for an ass chewing and to buy her a new blender. Our old one is now in the grow shed.

lol, Good job Silverback.

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
Just a note:

hahahaha

you're killin me here SB

how well did you hide that thing???

GOod info on the onion spray by the way. Any idea if store bought onions should do the same thing as the wild ones?

I might be trying this out soon.......lots of deer around

EXODUS_01

breeder
Veteran
In our country are many wild animals and last year I had with her a lot of problems. Great job!

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
I wonder if it will still deter Deer later in the season when it is drier and the native food is shriveling up? I find that desperate deer often ignore many offensive odors for a good meal when they get hungry enough.

G

That's really the question BC. Will they ignore the scent when they don't have anything much to eat. Cows will and do eat wild onions by accident at times because we had a dairy when i was young, and milk from a cow that had eaten wild onions had to be dumped as it wreeked of onions. Starving deer are determined
In normal years here, deer don't get that hungry but it hasnt been normal lately. Applications seem to last about 2 weeks.

Hey FT. Women are houndogs whenever "somethings stinks". I think storebought onions would work if you bought overripe or old onions, the kind with a shoot sticking out of the end. Store bought onions arent as strong in scent as wild onions but half rotten ones come close.

another material that has shown promise in repelling them is the scent and sap of red cedar trees that are abundant here. Deer don't eat any part of the tree. The cedars have a pine-tar type sap that breaks down in acohol and then can be mixed with water.

Hi mo and exodus. Shade tree scientist get no respect.

Gunnarguchi

ICMag Donor
Veteran
a very good solution on a large problem for guerrilla growers
back in mi high school days i had one successful grow in a forest
used the same spot next year and a few weeks before harvest deers ate every plant down the the stems a few centi meters above ground ( no home grown for that year) and i had to rely on en schrooms from the nearby fields but schrooms are good for some occasions and canna is better for others and more general suited

i also had deer ( or maybe rabbits?) chew up a few af my plants inside the corn fields last year but at least they have a hard time finding it there compared to in forests

do you spray the underside of the leafs too?
i would guess that the smell last longer that way

i look forward to see the progress if this treatment trough out the season

if it lasts as a deterrent late in season
how close to harvest they can be treated without leaving smell and taste in the weed and what ever you come a cross using this

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
hmmm...

hmmm...

The wild onions around here are really jus garlic. You can smell it fer miles when the combines run through it in the fall. It's strong..... I wonder if plain ol garlic might work too? ...... Hey Silverback, have ya ever used that Deer repel stuff that places like Stark Brothers sell? ( Stark Brothers sell fruit trees, berries, etc...) BC

LazLo

silverback

Didn't you mess up something else from your wife's kitchen last year too? Tread carefully. You are using her tools without her knowledge or permission.

Get thee to the nearest thrift store and buy your own. Save your life and your marriage for under $10. And pick up something for her while you are there.

Corn cobs soaked in vinegar was deterrent that didn't work nor did cucumbers for coons. Rat poisons were treats and soap chips attracted ground hogs. Many recipes call for onions or garlic or both. Tried most any and all nasty things over the years and zero worked.

The only deterrent I rely on is deer netting. It gets tears but those get repaired with twist ties. I try to block trails nearby with piles of dead wood. And by keeping the plots small, the deer won't jump in! I am so very grateful that deer are the only animal worry around these parts.

Keeping house is like stringing beads with no knot on the end.

grimcreeper

Wild onions have a particular scent. They're potent and leave YOU smelling just as potent if you handle them. That blender story is hilarious. Onion flavored smoothy anyone?

I doubt storebought onions would have the potency and affect these things do. I bet deer particularly avoid them because it's a part of the landscape they regularly graze on. Who knows why, maybe it gives them the squirts or something.

Anyone else occasionally cook with these things? It's a good flavor when cooked, but you'll have an aroma to you if you eat em.

I'm going to try this to keep the deer off. I've pulled about a billion unwanted ones out of my vegetable garden.

Does anyone have ramps in their neck of the woods? It's a variety of allium and it has an oh so strong and delectable flavor.

Mr. Stinky

ramps=leeks. :smile: we have em here, but they arent good to eat once they grow. the native americans used to mark them and come back in early spring before they sprout to dig them up. they are sugar sweet if you get them just as the enzymes convert the starches as they come outta dormancy

i use garlic, as i have tons of it growing here. i blend 1 cayenne pepper and a clove of garlic with a cup of water and about a tbsp of iso. i let it sit overnight then strain it in the mornin. i add a few drops of dish soap, and dilute it a little to fill a 20oz spray bottle. works well.

another thing im doing this year is to plant companion plants that the animals will choose over the mj. im planting alfalfa and ill toss a few radish, lettuce, and carrot seeds out there as well. i doubt the critters will try eatin my stinky plants when all that other good stuff is there.

silverback, a little iso or vodka with a tbsp of activated carbon in that blender should clean it up after a day or so.

badmf

As you may know, a damn good fence is your only "real" protection. For the effort involved, lol, and your marriage. Get up and tote some strong cornered fence out there, its a permanent fix. Loads of deer around me no sweat. Perimeter fence and deer netting on each plant to boot!

Thanks for the tip ...

Thanks for the tip ...

My low-lying transplants went undisturbed last season, and the garlic-based repellent that was used must share some of the credit. In an urban environment, with no deer predators, I've used a shotgun approach.

In addition to barbershop hair as both a mulch and a repellent, moth balls, garlic granules, and Milorganite top-dressing were also on duty. ( might even add monofilament "fencing" this year ... it can't hurt. )

This is just one url with info on Milorganite as both fertilizer, and repellent:

http://cwmi.css.cornell.edu/milorganite.pdf

Since all bacteria and viruses are killed by heat and pressure during sludge processing, bacteria begin to break it down when exposed to air and rain. It produces a musty, funky, odor. It's that smell of damp sludge that the deer, and many people, would rather avoid.

The product is easy to handle, inexpensive, and is also useful for fertilizing surrounding foliage to obscure plants, disguise foot-paths, or even enlarge patches of "friendly" thorn bushes and sting-weed.

Wild onion/garlic sure does stink up row crops. That's why the farmers around here all harvest the edges around their fields first, so any grain with a stink lays at the bottom of the hopper, where it's less likely to be noticed before being unloaded into an elevator. ( Did you think only pot farmers were sneaky? )

scaramanga

Awesome SB. Seems like great minds think alike. That's good to hear that it actually works. I'm definitely going to need something this year given by how things have been going in the field for me.

Example: Yesterday while digging out some more holes in an "experimental" area, I hear a noise look over, and see a rabbit staring at me less than 10 yards away, out in the open. And he/she just sat there looking at me while I dug 2 20 gallon holes. Why does this shit never happen when I have a shotgun near, ever? I know where I'm going rabbit hunting from now on.

The deer are just a bit more skittish, but not less destructive.

SB make sure to keep us informed on such things as reapplication rates, continued effectiveness, effects on the plants(if any), etc..

Keep up the good work.

I'm going to have to pick up some Milorganite. You can never be too safe.

CoonLover

No animals were hurt in the making of this post. Hurt nah! Destroyed, yep!

No animals were hurt in the making of this post. Hurt nah! Destroyed, yep!

This is how i handle deer problems in my neck of the woods.
309547522_03bdb98a12.jpg

If i can't reload, i'll down shift and hit the fuckers..
Stay out of my crops!! cannabis or celery!
deer%20hits%20truck_thumb.jpg

deer_in_front_seat_1.jpg

Cleaning up ...

Cleaning up ...

Almost forgot to pass along this method of removing obnoxious odors.

In the case of a blender, take enough water to fill it, or a little more, and put it in a stove-top container. Add a measured amount of Baking Soda, and keep adding it, measured, until the solution is saturated & then turn up the heat. As the water gets hot, add 30 - 40% more Baking Soda. You want a super saturated solution. Then put it into the blender, turn it on, and let it run for 15 - 20 minutes. The smell should be gone. For things that can't be soaked this way, cover it with a paste of Baking Soda & water and leave it there overnight or until it's dry.

A fine insurance policy when placing odoriferous objects in the mail is to triple bag it with zip-locks that contain a few teaspoons of fresh baking soda. Bounce it around, expel the air, and repeat. This acts to chemically neutralize the odor before it can leave the package. Just make sure that hands are clean, and that the package doesn't sit around a room where herb is stored or used.