What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Climate change again

G

I cant miss my annual rant about climate change as it already has me by the ass again this year. Rain rain rain, i should have been finished with my planting by the last week of april and im not even 1/2 through because of rain and mud and rain is forcast for all next week. Im losing weeks of plant growth, and seedlings and clones are outgrowing their cups..

I don't need an almanac, ive been here all of my life and in 1980, you couldnt have found a piece of irrigation equipment within an hours drive of here. Then, in the late 80's we started having some serious dry spells. By 1998, there had been several serious "dry spells and then the drought hit. It was awful and they called it the 100 year drought. Then in 99, again. In 2004, another serious drought that they callled the 500 year drought. Then in 2007, the worst drought of all. They called it the 1000 year drought. When it continued on thru 08. they stopped trying to label it, as 08 was worse than o7.

Its folowing the same pattern again this year. No rain all winter and now its been pouring for weeks. In late may, it will stop and just like last year, not another drop unitl late july, for an inch or so and then not another drop until early nov. We had 1.85 inches of rain from may 30, until Nov. 1 and that came with the remnants of a hurricane that brought a constant 30 mile an hour wind for 12 hours, with the occasional 50 mile an hour gust.. Normal rain would be 12-14"for that period.

For 2 years, Ive had plants that never saw a drop of rain from the time the first flowers appeared until the day i cut them. My crop yeild for 40 plants has dropped from an average of 6.8 oz's per plant, which i averaged for years, to an average of 1.85 ozs per plant and thats with much more work..
Now, there is nothing grown here that doesnt get irrigated. Not flowers or grass in your yard, your garden, or crops. Irrigation equipment is on every farm now.

Doobie Nyce

upsetting the setup
ICMag Donor
I hear you on the climate change...
Over the past 5-10 years the last frost date seems to have moved back about a month in my area!

climate change sucks and people who deny it are dumb. it sucks cuz it makes EVERYTHING more extreme, cold winters are colder, hot summers are hotter, droghts are drier, floods are bigger....really sucks man

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
Yeah, my local climate has followed the same pattern this year, very cold and dry winter, and now on May 5 we have half of our normal May rainfall already!

I am hoping to get my first plants out this week, seeing how temps seem to have stabilized to normal spring averages(I was afraid that we would continue getting hard frosts into May). I was afraid I wouldn't have enough good plants ready by the first part of the planting season, but now I have many waiting for placement, and more on the way.

I have some dry weather coming up, I hope I'm not stuck at work on those sunny days, LOL!

confused

I say you're all fear-mongering pussies. :beat-dead

Ignorant much? I wouldn't usually take the route to declare ignorance but you set the precedent.

Right now I am dealing with the better side of climate change - it is warm enough for a spring harvest. In a few months I will be dealing with some very lovely hurricanes that seem to be more intense every year.

THC123

Veteran
Hey silverback , why don't u plant them in the rain?? as long as it doesnt' freeze it's okay no?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
climate change sucks and people who deny it are dumb. it sucks cuz it makes EVERYTHING more extreme, cold winters are colder, hot summers are hotter, droghts are drier, floods are bigger....really sucks man

totally agree with you :joint:

My friend planted 2 1/2 weeks ago up here in Canada. For the last 4 days its been raining non stop so he went today to take a look at there condition fearing the worse, i went with him and to both of our surprise the plants are very healthy but to be careful he move them under some trees for shelter.

antimatter

Veteran
If you think its bad now just wait until global temperatures raise another 2 degrees celcius + , thats gonna mess with stuff like crazy expect massive permafrost melting releasing tons of trapped CO2 , coastlines under water, desert expansion, way more wildfires, amazon forest burning down releasing huge amounts of co2, extinctions its goes on and on. When our planet was 6 degrees Celsius hotter than today no life existed. On the bright side we don't live very long, but our children or childrens children are gonna have to suffer.

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
My reason for not planting in wet weather is that digging can be messy and bad for the soil when its saturated(it can lead to compaction and clodding).

If being careful makes me a fear-mongering pussy, than so be it! LOL!

A

AVC

Hey silverback , why don't u plant them in the rain?? as long as it doesnt' freeze it's okay no?

long story short:

too much rain = too much water
too much water = drowning/snapping stem of plants
drowning/snapping stem of plants = little/no plants
little/no plants = little/no bud
little/no bud = boo boo

:2cents:

Mr. Stinky

you people need to get away from the TV and go do something. all this cnn stuff has you nuts. :nanana:

the temp and climate of the earth changes every year, and it goes up and down, and changes flows all the time. these cycles take far longer than a meager humans lifetime, and there is no possible way for science to measure these things. all this al gore bullshit is based 100% on theories. sure the climate is changing, it has been changing for a few billion years now, and i bet a fair sum of money it will continue to change long after our measly race is extinct.

saying that you remember 1980 climate and that its changed since then as tho it was constant till 1980 is exactly the kind of upside-down thinking that al gore is making his millions off of. thats the only reason he says what he says. money. u all keep spreading his bullshit, and your just making it worse for the rest of us who know better :kos:

take that:dueling::smile:

Care Free 1

Veteran
More wind and less rain around SoCal has been noticed. Katabatic winds of 30-70mph more frequent in late summer/early autumn. Those winds suck the life out of everything with single digit humidity levels.

Usually not a drop of rain for around 200 days in a row anyway, so the winds have made it more of a challenge late in season. Fortunately there are still some natural water sources and good grow sites in SoCal, even amongst millions of people.

Makes it more important for me to use pre-flowered clones outdoors in my area, so I can get in and out before the high wind events around October.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Def some rains going on .. but man we can sure use the water here. I run clones and dont put mine out till much closer to june anyways..... maybe ill have time to put it together... looks like it might clear up next week.

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
My climate has had a trend of less and less total rainfall, for a couple decades now, no more evening summer thunderstorms(they never were much any ways), and we now have many Januarys and Februarys with beautiful sunny(but very cold) days that remind you that a bad dry summer in on the way.

So far for my local water year(which begins in Sept, when fall rains start), we are now 6.5" below normal rainfall for the year, and the dry season is right around the corner, I doubt we will make up the deficit. We should have gotten most of the rain in winter.

shaunmulok

Don't drink and drive home, Smoke dope and fly hom
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have also found the seasons have changed not only growing but also fishing, i have been growing same outdoor stain for a while now i used to finish in mid april but the past couple of years i havnt finished till late may still waiting now also wiyh my fishing we used to start in late september but lately we havent seen the fish until the start of november so climate change is real people

scaramanga

The real issue is that climate change is constant. It happens on a time scale that we as humans simply have a hard time relating to. It just seems to be happening faster than what is "normal".

BACKCOUNTRY, I know what you mean. I plant in areas ranging from the lowlands (-4" water ytd), to the mountains (-16" Water ytd). My water year starts in Oct. We have had a drought in my area for 3 years, and although it has eased, the worst is always in summer.

antimatter

Veteran
you people need to get away from the TV and go do something. all this cnn stuff has you nuts. :nanana:

the temp and climate of the earth changes every year, and it goes up and down, and changes flows all the time. these cycles take far longer than a meager humans lifetime, and there is no possible way for science to measure these things. all this al gore bullshit is based 100% on theories. sure the climate is changing, it has been changing for a few billion years now, and i bet a fair sum of money it will continue to change long after our measly race is extinct.

saying that you remember 1980 climate and that its changed since then as tho it was constant till 1980 is exactly the kind of upside-down thinking that al gore is making his millions off of. thats the only reason he says what he says. money. u all keep spreading his bullshit, and your just making it worse for the rest of us who know better :kos:

take that:dueling::smile:

lol whoa man you should do some research on biospheres and terraforming of planets.. Al gore CNN?? try Discovery Channel

falkar

Yeah, my local climate has followed the same pattern this year, very cold and dry winter, and now on May 5 we have half of our normal May rainfall already!

I am hoping to get my first plants out this week, seeing how temps seem to have stabilized to normal spring averages(I was afraid that we would continue getting hard frosts into May). I was afraid I wouldn't have enough good plants ready by the first part of the planting season, but now I have many waiting for placement, and more on the way.

I have some dry weather coming up, I hope I'm not stuck at work on those sunny days, LOL!
Holy fuck! The same here in the south of italy.
A really cold winter with no rain/snow and then lot of rain in april and may.
Just yesterday we had a hailstorm and now it seems it's all ended (but it fucked up two plants.. and I couldn't check all of them).
And now, it will be a dry and hot summer.