What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Old Timers Parable: 3 Farmers

G

Since its planting time, I thought i would take this opportunity to impress upon newer growers the importance of strain selection to their grows. No decision you will make is more directly related to your successful harvest than strain selection.

Once upon a time, far, far away, there were 3 pot farmers growing on a 1 acre site on sunny slope, side by side. Wonderful weather, wonderful soil, all 3 farmers started their crops.

Farmer No. 1 liked afghani's, so he decided that he would grow Maple leaf indica. He planted his seedlings and waited for the end of sept. His plants did well. Bugs didn't seem to bother them and the dry spell didnt seem to effect them at all.

Farmer No. 2 just loved Sensi Star, so he decided he would grow that strain. He planted his seedlings and waited for mid october. The plants grew well, but he had 2 spray them several times with sevin liquid to kill bugs and he had to water them several times during the dry spell. He know's how potent the star is so he doesn't mind the extra work and worry.

Farmer No.3 just loves Blueberry's wonderful high and taste and that is all he wants to grow. He plants his seedlings and like farmer 2, he waits for mid oct. His plants are a little slower to get started and the bugs just dont seem to leave her alone: the girls need some care up front to grow well, but he doesnt mind. He knows that wonderful taste and feeling BB has to offer.

The date now is Sept. 29, all 3 grows are doing well, but like 1/2 of the guerilla grows ever launched, their are a couple of problems on the horizon. First, the weatherman is saying that a stalled front is approaching and the next week or 2 may be cool and wet on your maturing buds. Is there any thing to be gained in waiting? Secondly, all 3 farmers noticed that someone had taken a pocket knife and removed several buds and branches. Was it the law? Was it rippers? Ill never forget the look on my buddies face," the bitch not only has been sleeping with the guy, but she told him where my plants are growing!". This party is over and harvest time is today.

Outdoor guerilla growers very often have their harvest date dictated to them, by weather forcast, bugs, mould, cheating girlfriends, crooked partners, security and 100 other reasons.

Farmer No.1 - Not a big deal for 1. His strain is done by the end of sept anyway and he planned to harvest at any time.. He harvested his rock hard, sticky, resin covered,sweet tasting and potent MLI buds and heads home , knowing he will spend his winter smoking and smiling and thinking about a new location for next years grow.

Farmer no 2- Damn, he needs at least a couple of more weeks as his SS buds will practically double in size over that period and become very frosty, but thats not relevant now because its cut it or loose it today. He cuts and heads home with his crop. While no.2 has lost considerable yield, Sensi star is a plant that starts producing resin within 18/20 days of flower onset, and although he lost yeild, the smoke that he got was just as potent as the smoke he would have gotten if he could have waited, there is just less of it.He'll make it though.

Farmer No.3 also needs at least 2 weeks and maybe 3, but just like Farmer no. 2 he has to harvest. Unfortun ately for no.3, he chose blueberry to grow. Blueberry is a wonderful plant with a wonderful high, but all i have seen grown and most crosses really dont produce any visible resin until 35-40 days into the grow and its my estimate that 60% of BB potency gets produced in the last 3 weeks of flower, along with significant bud develpment and yeild. BB is one of many available varieties that really needs to go full term to experience her wonderful qualities/ not an early pick candidate at all. Farmer no. 3 harvested plants that rated a 5 on the potency scale, you can get a little buzz if you smoke a couple of joints, but the years grow was disappointing. Better luck next year.

All 3 farmers put in the same amount of work and money and were equal in all but strain selection, but their outcomes were very differernt.

Its essential for the guerilla farmer to grow strains that start producing visible resin within 21 days of flower. I rescently popped 10 white shark fems, and i chose the plant that showed real trich development by the 3rd week. There was only 1 in the pack that did.
I know that my harvest will be forced on a number of my grows, most likely weather related. I know before i plant what the outcome will be if that condition arises.

falkar

Isn't maple leaf indica an indoor Strain?
I would have done some Afghani special from KC brains (if I hade more space, I'd grow it also) or some Northern lights.
Anyway, Guerrilla for ever.

hamstring

Veteran
Outdoor guerilla growers very often have their harvest date dictated to them, by weather forcast, bugs, mould, cheating girlfriends, crooked partners, security and 100 other reasons.

Has to be one of the top 10 best piece of advice for guerillas. I have never and I mean never harvested one time without one of these things effecting me.
Nice job SB.
PEACE

G

GhostToker

Thats a fantastic lesson! Although im sure it makes sativa growers nervous

supersonic

well written silverback.. :)

i agree.. i had to learn this by myself and sometimes harvest unripe buds because of different variables that you mention, that affect guerilla grow-harvest...
smoking unripe buds is no real fun...

all the best for your '09 grow!

G

Hey ss, whats on the menu for this season?
hamstring, i hope the seedlings are up and ready. Lets hope it goes better than last year.

I hear you Ghost Toker, but there are several good sativa's that fit the bill. Flo starts pumping out big trichs 3 weeks into flower and after 6 weeks she's not finished but is sticky and coated with resin glands. So is Ice cool by sweet seeds, early riser by sag. There are really quite a few

I try and grow at least one early strain VF, and the rest are plants that supposedly finish in early oct. My strains have been pared down to those that start producing resin within 3 weeks of flower jjust in case.
I remember watching the Browndirt warrior grow and him saying" hmmm.. early buds". I thought to myself, " yea, but is there early resing producton?" : That is the factor that is relevant.

Hi falkar. Its listed by sensi as indoor, but honestly i dont know why. Ive grown it for 8 years outdoors at 38 and its one of the toughest, easiest plants i grow. I can not imagine where or why sensi came up with that label. Another puzzlement is that if you go to sensi's site, it says the MLI taste "citrusy". What the ????. I emailed them and asked them if they had ever smoked MLI? They said taste is in the palate of the beholder. BS!!! MLI is sweet and syrypy tasting, for everyone thats every smoked it?!!!. It makes you wonder. Im going to order up some KC affie special. Ive grown several of his strains and his work is top notch for outdoor growers. Brazilian weed can be very vigorous and is mould resistant. he uses it in many of his crosses.

supersonic

hey sb,

nothing special on the menu :) I have Frisian Dew and some gw shark and I'm gonna most likely order a pack of aurora indica fems. they have it now on their site..
I'm begining with germination of first round tomorrow and will put them out towards end of may and then i'll make another round which goes out around mid june...
I expect first round (FD) to reach around 230cm at the end of season and 2nd round
around 150-200cm in height...
If I would start earlier and put out early-mid may, plants would grow too big (without realy big holes and special amendments) and that would threat my security. Plants planted before june can still go to 3m if they have some sativa in it...
my goal is half a kilo or more and I just hope that animals and fu*kin' hail stay away...
we'll see...

regards

ss

falkar

That's why I bought strains that finish around late august to early September. :joint:

Good story
I'm searching for a cheap strain that finishes during early september. Anyone has some advice? (I also have other 7 strain plus 4 unknown plants, and they all finish in october)

falkar

Hi falkar. Its listed by sensi as indoor, but honestly i dont know why. Ive grown it for 8 years outdoors at 38 and its one of the toughest, easiest plants i grow. I can not imagine where or why sensi came up with that label. Another puzzlement is that if you go to sensi's site, it says the MLI taste "citrusy". What the ????. I emailed them and asked them if they had ever smoked MLI? They said taste is in the palate of the beholder. BS!!! MLI is sweet and syrypy tasting, for everyone thats every smoked it?!!!. It makes you wonder. Im going to order up some KC affie special. Ive grown several of his strains and his work is top notch for outdoor growers. Brazilian weed can be very vigorous and is mould resistant. he uses it in many of his crosses.
I'll try it next year (it costs too much for me and I don't have space anymore).
Thanks to KC I can try many strains, have vigorous and resistent plants and also big producers for (very) cheap!
It is also environmentally friendly, as he grows everything outdoors (best place to grow! :D).
I wish I could mantain some KC33 mothers indoor to select the best pheno.

Latest posts

Latest posts