What's new

When to start the Nutes!

Got another question, My babies are about 1.5 to 2 inches tall and roots are starting to show around the sides and bottom of the 1 inch rockwool cube, I placed them in the net pots last night (5 inch with lava rock) but am still only using water, no nutes yet. When do you think I should start?
I've killed babies before by over feeding so i dont want to do this again...any thoughts? Thanks.

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
I don't start nutrients until the plants are up and going for 14 days. I do a very light dose of SM-90 to stimulate root growth and then I use Lucas Formula nutes starting on Day 14 depending upon the feeding habits of the particular strain I'm growing (some are nutrient hogs and some are slow sippers).

It usually works out like this:

Day 14: O-2-4

Day 21: 0-3-6

Day 28: 0-4-8

Bloom Day 7: 0-6-12

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
When using GH 3-part I give 1/4 to 1/3rd str Lucas ratio as soon as roots show, for a week, then up it to full strength.

You may burn them a bit on the very tips but they're growing fast in 2-3 days.

I use GH FloraNova Grow for veg but don't recommend it for 'Micro' grows as it increases the internode length a bit more than the FNB does.

E

Elcap

I use a DWC/ bubbler tub type rig, and have it already mixed up with 1/2 strength Lucas at about 6.0pH when the plant goes in there. I water from the top once every day or two with pH'ed plain water until the roots hit the water in the res. My addback water is full strength Lucas (0-5-10) and that's how I gradually bring up my mix to full strength, takes 2 weeks or so before I've added back enough to be at full strength..

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
I never let seeds or clones sit in plain water. 1/4 tsp per gallon of GH FloraMicro and FloraBloom from the beginning. Remember, unlike dirt, which is 100% pure food, Rockwool is inert and has no nutrients.

When roots are long enough to span the air gap, try 1/2 tsp and then monitor EC for further adjustment.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
My addback water is full strength Lucas (0-5-10)
0-5-10 is for flowering under low light conditions. Are you using T8 or T12s?

If not, you should try using the full 0-8-16 for both veg and bloom. You'll get happier plants that grow faster. :D
(It's not your fault, everyone quotes the OG faq and the OG FAQ is wrong about 0-5-10 being a 'vegging' strength.)

K

Kal-El

Once the cotyledons fall off is when I begin giving nutes.
I do 1/4 strength until they get about 6 to 8 inches tall, then half strength or more depending on how the plants react.

Got another question, My babies are about 1.5 to 2 inches tall and roots are starting to show around the sides and bottom of the 1 inch rockwool cube, I placed them in the net pots last night (5 inch with lava rock) but am still only using water, no nutes yet. When do you think I should start?
I've killed babies before by over feeding so i dont want to do this again...any thoughts? Thanks.

totally depends on the ppm of the water your using, tap water where i live is 450, that would mean no nutes till there way bigger then if your using bottled water at 20ppm