What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Behold! The ULTIMATE FLOROS!!!

Greetings ICmag!

There have been a few discussions lately about light color temperature and it's effects on the quality of growth (specifically veg vs. flower). There is a general debate about HPS vs. MH and occasionally someone brings up floros. While they are praised for their cheapness and utility nobody ever really considers them in the context of 'performance'. The puny penetration rate of the light they produce vastly outweighs the benefits of a lovely, tightly-distributed, 6000K peak (or even bluer) light spectrum for veg. If your are serious about yield for most any given space (micro-cabs and such excluded) the general consensus is that you need to go HID.

However, I've always been an advocate for floros. Like many of us, I started out with them. Of course, as one is wont to do I moved on to bigger and better things, I would not personally go back from HID (400 watt Ceramic Metal Halide in an old-school magnetic ballast for both veg and flower are my preference!) in almost any situation. That said I still believe that florescent lamps are viable in some situations. In a lot of badly needed bang-for-the-buck scenarios I think that floros should not be ruled out; if you tinker a little you can get some real performance. And if you are willing to believe me on this, given the right setup floros can and will make a decent yeild all the way through flower, hand on heart!

Bah! Humbug you might say! Perhaps with super-spendy high-output CFLs, maaaaaayyyyybe, but at their current prices what's the point? Actually as many floro fans that have come to love the CFL, old timey seperate-ballast florescent tubes are where its at. Let me explain:

If you want a lamp for growing purposes there is a trick that the aquarium guys have been using for YEARS. Overdriving is the practice of linking up a pair of floro conduits in parallel to a single bulb. This trick works even better with the cheap, reliable new 'instant-start' flicker-free digital florescent ballasts. The best explanation on the internets of this process is here:

http://www.geocities.com/teeley2/overdrv1.html

Sadly, the best explanation out there doesn't have the best pictures, packing a pair of diagrams that are very informative, but somewhat difficult for many to tie to the real world. For the purposes of your instruction I have built up a high-performance, overdriven, 280 watt 48 inch T12/T8 floro fixture for well under 75 dollars whilst documenting the process.

Now keep in mind, this thing is kickass but still for rather specific applications. When I say that it could even flower I mean that if it where used in a certain way. Specifically in combination with a ScrOG flat-screen training regime. In this scenario, all of the buds that make it to the end are no more than 4 or 5 inches from the nearest light tube. It also entails using very blue (GE 6200K office) tubes for veg and very red (GE plant & Aquarium) tubes for flower. These constraints are very useful in low-headroom situations. A space that was 52 inches wide by 16 inches deep by 32 inches tall would easily accommodate an entire grow from start to finish based on this lamp. (think laundry-room cabinets and such) Even if you aren't height-constrained though, these lamps would veg some bitchin plants up to about 18 inches tall (which is miles if you supercrop) to be swapped under big daddy HPS or taken under the mother of all light-sources: the great outdoors.

SO HERE'S WHAT YOU DO:

ACQUIRE:

Some of these! It is a 48 inch narrow grid light fixture produced in the good-old-U-S-of-A by American Florescent. You will need at least two of them (Well, technically you don't. You could buy just one and use it to run a single pair of tubes for a total of 140 watts, but in my opinion this is not nearly badass enough)

Picture001.jpg

They are dirt cheap, I got these at Menard's for 32 bucks a pop, not even on sale! Despite the cheapness they contain fabulous goodies such as one of these:

Picture003.jpg

Its a frankly wonderful resi-tronic 2 digital ballast. It is labeled for use with four 48 inch T12 or T8 tubes wired in parallel. However, it will very happily run just two 48 inch tubes in Overdrive! In this state, a 40 watt floro tube will produce around 75% more light energy. (heat loss and such) This does make the tubes run a little hotter and therefore not live as long. However, if you are gardening with floros you need to toss them long before they stop producing light anyway. A yearly basis is usually good. There is a plus side though: the ballast, the bit you keep, is actually under less stress in this state. Only running two bulbs the load put on the ballast is of a much lower resistance and the ballast in return runs cooler and lives longer.

So, to work. The unit comes wired straight out of the box like such.

One side:
Picture004.jpg

The other:
Picture005.jpg

This is a typical configuration for modern instant-start digital ballasts and is actually a bit different than the ones featured in the big overdriving link I provided earlier. He describes the slightly older rapid-start ballasts that had two yellow leads that matched up with the paired grey/brown red/blue. Instant-starts are even simpler, with only a single yellow "return lead" to worry about.

Right, now let's mess with it!

The 'tombstones' in this lamp are typical of those that I have seen lately, although the modularity of the ones in this particular unit is profound. I was genuinely pleased to have stumbled upon this exact model which features the best tombstones ever, behold:

Picture007.jpg

Its a little tricky to spot in this washed-out image, but the 'feet' of these guys have little conical spring-loaded teeth. They are very difficult to explain but a joy to work with, here's a shot of the backside showing just the 'teeth' poking through:

Picture006.jpg

If you have a tinkery mind you should already be thinking of the possibilities. These suckers will mount to ANYTHING that is about 1/8 of an inch thick which you can drill a hole in. They are so incredibly easy to mount that I decided to take the mod a step further and drill new holes (they like 1/4 inch holes set about 1 and 5/32 inches apart on center) for each tombstone so that I could fit a set of six in place. This mod is unrelated to our overdriving lesson though I will elaborate on it a bit later.

Anyway, re-wiring these guys is a snap, the author of the link I posted indicates that its a little hard to get the leads out of them and he recommends some twisty-pully voodoo technique and mentions that even doing this he still breaks some himself. This is retarded. I have worked with many different styles of tombstones and they all respond to the same trick. Observe:

Take a stiff, thin piece of metal (a good thick straight pin works best, I love the needles that are meant for use in sewing machines for this purpose) and insert it in the little leftover space where the stripped wire end goes into the tombstone like so:

Picture008.jpg

Jiggle the needle about:

Picture009.jpg

The sucker pops right out:

Picture010.jpg

You'll never break anything doing it this way. Armed with this technique, you will have a very easy time removing and rewiring your tombstones so they look like this:

Picture014.jpg

(I could have posted a shot of the other side, but due to the symmetry it looks exactly the same >.< ) Note that the previously 'paired' grey/brown red/blue pairings have been swapped. This is necessary. If you preserve the original color pairings the lamp will work fine but it WILL NOT BE OVERDRIVEN. You have to swap up the color parings, whatever they are, so that each bulb is being driven by BOTH power circuits. Otherwise, the relatively intelligent ballast 'sees' a load that looks just like only two bulbs are plugged in and only runs a single power circuit as a result. This is one of the things that makes it "energy-star compliant", a feature that is trumpeted on the packaging. You need to be careful that you don't spend all this effort for no added output. If you aren't sure you've done it right, there is no danger in swapping one pair of a single color for another on two of the tombstones. If the results are brighter, you did it wrong, if its dimmer you had it right the first time. Speaking of results:

Picture013.jpg

Boom Baby!! The top two bulbs are correctly overdriven and powered up. The lower bulbs are wired to the second ballasts but running on only one of it's power circuits and consuming the normal 40 watts per tube. I FUCKING SWEAR the lower bulbs are ON!! Swear to dog! To sweet sensi even! This is the absolute best picture I could get, I must have taken 20, there was nothing I could do to make it not look like the 'normally driven' bulbs weren't just 'off' bulbs!!!

Four overdriven tubes, in all of their glory:

Picture011.jpg

View from the back:

Picture015.jpg

Simply wire the hot and neutral leads up to AC current and away you go!

Now, in that final picture of the tombstones you might have noticed that I had crammed six tombstones on each side of the lamp (total of 12). It is a tight fit on the original chassis (which is a fantastic peice of kit BTW) and will not accommodate 6 T-12s. You could use this configuration to throw in a THIRD 4-lamp digital ballast hooked up to the set of tombstones that I had left un-wired in just the same fashion as I did the others and run a set of 6 T-8s. This would result in a wicked-bad 378 watt fixture for around 100 bucks. However, with this particular one things are a bit different. The eight tombstones that I did wire are going to run 4 overdriven GE T12 tubes (6200K through veg, Plant and aquarium during flower). To further my quest to prove that floros can run with the big dogs when it comes to final potency I am going to do what I always do:

Cheat.

The last four tombstones that didn't get wired up will soon be connected to a normal two-lamp digital ballast. In those sockets will reside a pair of these bad motherfuckers:

http://www.houstonherp.com/ReptiGloBulbs.htm

We have been able to source these things at a local specialty pet store in a 48 inch size. I had seen the 5.0 and 10.0s, but the 8.0 is new to me and I'm in love with it. I have dabbled with UV-B supplementation before and believe that carefully metered exposure to UV-B radiation can send trichome production through the roof! I had messed with repti-glo's 5.0 and 10.0 flavors of 32 watt CFLs with mixed results (that particular grow hadn't done well anyway) but had determined the 10.0 to be just too much while the 5.0 seemed lacking. We now have our hands on a pair of 48 inch T8 Repti-Glo 8.0 40 watt tubes and I think they're gonna be perfect. For this first trial they will be running at the normal wattage, I simply don't have the balls to overdrive these sons of bitches, they scare me enough as is. The UVB lamps will not run at all during veg and prolly wont run all day even late in flower. As a result we are missing out on some potential yield, as I mentioned we could totally cram a third overdriven quad ballast in there, but I think the added potency will be well worth it.

This concludes my instructional on overdriven lamps. I tried to be explicit as possible, but every lamp is a little different. As always when working with electricity: use your fuckin noggin! If anyone has questions I will be happy to answer. If you want to acquire a specific floro lamp and upload a couple of pictures showing its stock wiring and a shot of the original wiring diagram to this forum I can tell you how to overdrive it! You can overdrive floro ballasts meant for any length and nearly any brand so long as it is digital. The packaging does not always specifically mention 'digital ballast' so look for the terms 'rapid-start', 'instant-start' or any indication of cold-starting capability (usually rated down to 0 degrees Fahrenheit).

You could run bulbs out of a fixture like this and get great results, but I have yet one more trick up my sleeve to wring every last bit of light output from cheap floro tubes. I apply two inch foil-tape (with clear adhesive) to the backside of the bulbs themselves, stopping a couple inches short of the end caps. This is the most efficient floro reflector configuration possible and I will be making an update detailing the process very soon. Until then, good luck and happy gardening!

*EDIT*

Tanks to Pontiac for being awesome and having the link in his sig, I had no idea the old OverGrow FAQ was actually hosted in full somewhere on the internets. I have it as a Microsoft help file (XML basically). This is an excellent detailing of the foil tape process, I shan't bother posting my own guide unless someone has specific questions.

http://www.drugs-forum.com/growfaq/1475.htm

-DM

Thanks for the love Pontiac, and so quickly! Big huzzah for a place on the DIY link list, I'm honored. Did you go by that same name back at overgrow? I don't remember you, though granted I've gone through a lot of ganj between now and then. I see you are a fan of the stealth cab, I bet a six-tube version of one of these bad boys would go pretty slick in a box not unlike your 250w HPS one! That's some pretty low headroom you work with there, ever considered ScrOG, even under the HPS? I'm quickly becoming an advocate for ScrOG in moderate-wattage applications. I think it has yield advantages over free-standing plants using lights up to even 400 watt HID lamps. Thanks again for the thumbs-up. Good luck, and happy gardening!

-DM

madpenguin

Awsome post. I thought of doing this very same thing last year but went with T5's instead. I thought this was a pretty popular thing to do in cultivation circles but this is the first post I've seen here on icmag that mentions it. Way to spread the word.:yes:

Awsome post. I thought of doing this very same thing last year but went with T5's instead. I thought this was a pretty popular thing to do in cultivation circles but this is the first post I've seen here on icmag that mentions it. Way to spread the word.:yes:

Thanks penguin. Actually, as far as I know it is totally possible to overdrive T5s as well (though ballasts for them are still spendy as far as I know and it might not be cost-effective to do so). Overdriving is one of the few specialty indoor growing techniques that is actually more popular in legal growing circles than in cannabis growing culture. It was first employed by aquarium buffs and has spread from there. I think that overdriven T8s would have outperformed your standard T5s for a given space, but the T5's would destroy an equivilent overdriven rig in terms of efficiency. Floros already throw away a relatively large amount of energy away as heat ( watt-for-watt it is even more than HID lamps if you can believe it) and overdriving makes them even worse. It is a very cost-effective and space-efficient technique, but its energy-efficiency leaves a bit to be desired.

-DM

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Very well written explanation. Thank you :D

I guess it's about time I messed with overdriving PL-L lamps :)
(Nothing like a high-tech T5HO lamp bent in half!)

Well done, the thread in my sig should interest you!!

:cool:Elite

I actually had a quick look at that before I posted this thread. Totally awesome, but it looked pretty labor-intensive to me. I must say though, I am a huge fan of bang-for-the-buck style kit and yours takes the cake. 624 watts of vegging power is a hell of a lot more than you could have gotten out of 150 bucks worth of HID lighting, that's for sure! However, I remain un-convertible to CFLs, mostly due to my love of ScrOG and how well-suited the long tubes are to it. Can't wait to see the completed veg room in action man. Good luck, and happy gardening!

Very well written explanation. Thank you :D

I guess it's about time I messed with overdriving PL-L lamps :)
(Nothing like a high-tech T5HO lamp bent in half!)

OoOoOo, that could be veeeerrry interesting indeed.

I know that overdriving is an inherent part of floro tech, any lamp with a digital ballast can pull it off if you wire it correctly. It is simply a matter of knowing what each of the leads did in the factory setup and swapping them accordingly. The only thing I would worry about is surface temperature of the bulbs. CFLs in my experience already run MUCH hotter surface temps than T12 and T8 tubes and overdriving only exacerbates this problem. On the upside, your ballasts would actually run cooler and live longer at the expense of bulb life. But, as I said, you need to be swapping bulbs on at least an annual basis anyway. Good luck, and happy gardening!

-DM

Sweet! Cool writeup, I may need to install something like this for vegging in the future.

This lamp would be a bad motherfucker for vegging if you used some GE 6000K foil-taped tubes. This same chassis in a three-ballast configuration would kick out nearly 400 watts running 6 T8 tubes for around 100 bucks!

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
OoOoOo, that could be veeeerrry interesting indeed.

I know that overdriving is an inherent part of floro tech, any lamp with a digital ballast can pull it off if you wire it correctly.

With a Fulham Workhorse ballast it's simple, really. The workhorse 8 has 6 leads and can power up to 220w amongst 6 lamps.

With the 2G11 sockets you would run 2 red leads to one side, instead of twisting two of the red wires on that side of the socket together and attaching them to one red lead from the ballast.

The yellow side still has the two yellow wires twisted together and run to the single yellow lead back to the ballast.

Hmmmm.... Now I'll have to go look up which Fulham ballast only has 4 'Hot' leads. (Wouldn't need the other two)

EDIT: Should have fixed this post a loooong time ago... running 2 reds to a 2G11 socket is actually the way you're supposed to wire them up. It doesn't overdrive them. *sigh*

Last edited:

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I did not get some of this, but after a while it clicked ( wow that's bright ) my light meter use to read about 250-300, now its reading 450-500

thanks, never thought to do this and now need to order some more ballasts for my other reflector. thanks once again

Calimed

Veteran
Great idea, I may look into something like this if I build a separate veg cab. Much cheaper than T5's!

I did not get some of this, but after a while it clicked ( wow that's bright ) my light meter use to read about 250-300, now its reading 450-500

thanks, never thought to do this and now need to order some more ballasts for my other reflector. thanks once again

Thank you very much for giving it a try habeeb!! I don't get to do a lot of full-blown pictorial demonstrations these days and I really appreciate it when someone takes advantage of my effort. I figured that these pictures are all most people will need, even if they aren't electrical gurus. It makes a lot more sense than staring at a single wiring schematic for most people.

I'm very glad that you where able to report some real-world measurements (pictures would be awesome too!). You have demonstrated exactly what I was promising: about a 75% real-world gain in light output. There aren't as many people out there using floro tubes anymore, but for someone like you who still is this is a great way to boost performance on the cheap. I'm going to start looking for some cheap 4 tube T8 ballasts like the ones in this guide which are meant to run 24 inch bulbs. I think a 140 watt 4-tube 24 inch T8 lamp knocked together for sub 50$ could seriously convert a few of the CFL faithful :sasmokin:

Great idea, I may look into something like this if I build a separate veg cab. Much cheaper than T5's!

Indeed! Price-vs-performance wise it is very hard to beat overdriven T8 tubes. The only thing I've seen which can compare is Elite's recent 624 watt CFL rig weighing in at 150 bucks. I'm not sure that is a project that just anybody could undertake though, I believe that Elite's expirience as an electritian was heavily utilized. Overdriving on the other hand is a snap, takes 10 minutes tops if you don't get all ambitious like me and start adding extra tombstones to the lamp!

Good luck, and happy gardening!

-DM

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Yes T5's are easily over driven, I used to over drive them with icecap ballasts for my aquarium. Problem is, the bulbs useful life is cut to 1/3, efficiency suffers (lumens per watt), and the color shifts to a higher kelvin (more blue). They are seriously bright almost look like HID's, almost as hot too. I tried over driving a 55w PL-L with a 96w ballast and the bulb fried after about 3 hours, maybe a weak bulb? I'll have to try again when I get more bulbs.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
I tried over driving a 55w PL-L with a 96w ballast and the bulb fried after about 3 hours, maybe a weak bulb? I'll have to try again when I get more bulbs.
Not a weak bulb. I would imagine they'd all go like that.

Try using an electronic ballast that's designed to run multiple lamps with different wattages of each lamp. The Fulham Workhorse ballasts work great!

Just run 2 hot leads to a lamp instead of one and it's perfect. Don't exceed the total wattage of the ballast though. A 220w Workhorse 7 or 8 will only overdrive 2 55w lamps.

EDIT: See previous post. PL-L lamps are already overdriven T5's.. of a sort.

Last edited:

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
like Aerohead said, overdriving shortens the life, bigtime. It also color shifts them. I can't see why it's necessary. Just pack more tubes in. I could double the amount of tubes in my space if I wanted, but there's just no need. I'm not overdriving anything.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank you very much for giving it a try habeeb!! I don't get to do a lot of full-blown pictorial demonstrations these days and I really appreciate it when someone takes advantage of my effort. I figured that these pictures are all most people will need, even if they aren't electrical gurus. It makes a lot more sense than staring at a single wiring schematic for most people.

I'm very glad that you where able to report some real-world measurements (pictures would be awesome too!). You have demonstrated exactly what I was promising: about a 75% real-world gain in light output. There aren't as many people out there using floro tubes anymore, but for someone like you who still is this is a great way to boost performance on the cheap. I'm going to start looking for some cheap 4 tube T8 ballasts like the ones in this guide which are meant to run 24 inch bulbs. I think a 140 watt 4-tube 24 inch T8 lamp knocked together for sub 50$ could seriously convert a few of the CFL faithful :sasmokin:

-DM

I was using T-5's for side lighting, and it was a mess struggling to lift up another reflector / get it ligned up... now more other reflector and less struggle. Only thing Im gonna keep an eye on is the bulb life of T-5's. I have some phillips blue / red and wondering what overdriving is gonna do to them as I know many people don't use them, and they use one phosphor I believe.

I think this would be a great veg light for people using floro's as with T-5's it's still way underpowered compared to MH.

they do run hot, I have a fan blowing on the bulbs and there still hot, when they use to be cool to the touch with the fan. I feel the heat is worth it as with my light meter I'm getting good results like 3-5 inches down from the bulb that in the old bulb would have tog et right up to the bulb to get those readings.

good for people who like projects / messing around / limited space.....

thanks once again, good stuff. jsus ordered some more ballasts to fill up my other light