What's new

5 Gal Bagz

Will i need to worry about supporting the plant. i am planning on allowing the roots to pass through the bottom into a medium, and then into native soil. just curious if i would need to worry about supporting them. i am guessing 5 footers all day. but who knows. also any recomendations on camoing black 5gal bagz. (actually they were white but i turned them inside out to show black. i got green spray paint, i dont have the access to burlap sacks..

which brings me to my next question... if burlap absorbs the morning dew and moisture, allows the roots to grow throught the bottom, is naturally camo, and comes in huge sizes for cheap prices?????? why isnt everyone on the burlap sack train?

As far as bag size goes i don't think you'll have any problems. Just make sure you bury them deep enough when you transplant to native soil. You might wanna cut the bottom off the bag to make sure the roots can penetrate new soil. Sorry I cant help with the camo, as I grow indoors. I do believe that they make camo grow bags which might be something to try next time around.

burlap doesnt trap moisture like plastic, a burlap sacked plant will need watering faster than a plastic contained plant (assuming the roots havent gone through the burlap at the bottom to find moisure)...as far as camo, remember to break up patterns and to use 3 dimensions....i.e. glue some fake moss bundles of leaves, etc to the containers....as far as staking, just to be on the safe side it wouldnt hurt to jam a bamboo rod down through the bag and into the natural soil for sturdiness

thanks guys i agree on both accounts. thing is the bags are going ON TOP of the soil, the vegetation is cut down but theres a lump of soil, and the bags go on top. its got to be this way.

N

North

hope you can water alot, that burlap is gonna let the moisture out FAST. you doing this in a swampy area?

5pound

I order my burlap bags online. 25 at a time. The 18X30 inch bags will hold 15 gallons of soil comfortably (I use 12 to start). And with the right amendments in your soil they don't dry out too fast. I'm trying out silverback's gorilla collar idea on this grow with my burlap this year. If you are really concerned with the burlap airing out your soil, cover the bag with leaf litter, keeps the wind and heat from robbing your moisture, no different then how the forest floor manages to stay moist throughout the summer.

Attachments

• Dscn1480.jpg
    Dscn1480.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Dscn1481.jpg
    Dscn1481.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 13

badmf

Try combining whats offered here; use the plastic you have add the burlap to the outside for camo. Glue would not hold up well with the elements, tie it on with twine use loads of branches to block sun and to add camo. Polymer is a must in my book! You will need to bend em with stakes to add to the disguise and it helps when its windy too. If your area has a water source do a rez and timer with a dripper system. Camo it all well and your set!
Larger containers don't need water as often but need more medium to start. I use 32g and a few 12g.

Tirs

I second badmf's suggestion, burlap decomposes pretty quickly. The year I used it by the end of the season it was falling apart. Plastic doesn't have this problem but black bags get really hot in the summer sun and stick out. Putting one inside the other is the best of both worlds but 5 gallons is way too small in my opinion unless you can water a few times a week.

i was planning on watering once a week... but i am second guessing myself after hearing this.. you guys think i would have to do more than 1 a week? even with water crystal? my soil is a custom mix. i have a close constant water supply, but i cant do a res. system because there are many grow bags... 50+

now i can accomplish weekly waterings but i cant go more than once a week... any suggestions? i cant dig into the ground.. i cant go bigger than 5 gallons, and i cant use a res. because there are too many

Tirs

My suggestion is either less plants in larger containers, or small plants started later. Of course this is all variable, if your location gets less than optimal sunlight growth will be slower and water demands lower but a large plant can need upwards of a gallon a day during mid summer and 5 gallons of media just doesn't hold that much water.

yea but the idea is in 5 gallons of media it wont get that big, it will get watered once a week, we get a decent amount of rain/dew as well. i feel like it will be good. thanks for all your help tho tirs..

C

Cerb

I order my burlap bags online. 25 at a time. The 18X30 inch bags will hold 15 gallons of soil comfortably (I use 12 to start). And with the right amendments in your soil they don't dry out too fast. I'm trying out silverback's gorilla collar idea on this grow with my burlap this year. If you are really concerned with the burlap airing out your soil, cover the bag with leaf litter, keeps the wind and heat from robbing your moisture, no different then how the forest floor manages to stay moist throughout the summer.

Where do you order from? I'm having trouble finding small batches that aren't outrageously priced or with huge shipping charges. They are bags. I don't see why it would ever cost $10 to ship 5 of them, but that's what most places are charging.

Latest posts

Latest posts