What's new

Stems & BubbleBags??

Esskie

Can anyone tell me if you can get away with putting the thinner, or even chopped up?, stems into the work bag please?.

I have a shitload of trim from my last two harvests and, as the stalks were absolutely covered in trichs too, I chopped them into 4"-6" lengths and threw em into my shake. It'd be a shame to waste it :confused: .

ATB, Esskie :joint:

G

when making hash...I prefer to use different grades at different times...i.e. one batch will be with popcorn nugs....another with sugary trim etc....

Esskie

Thanx for the reply guys but would I be in danger of perhaps a piece of stem going through the screen at the bottom?, that's what I had on my mind tbh :chin: :confused: .

G

yeah thats a major concern...not only slipping through the screen but ripping the screen....wouldn't be too worried...just whittle the stems down

G

the rsik of wrecking the bags is why I recommend making the stems into oil. You would be surprised at the quality of oil you can pull outta them.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just do mixing in an extra 5 gallon bucket and then pour through your bags ... saves alot of wear and tear :)

G

that's a good point babba...the last runs I have done...I have used an indivual bucket for each bag....I think this is a superior method of doing it...but thats just me

G

ya, that would probably work too Babba, or do mean mixing in the 220, then pouring through the 5's. Sounds similar to the easy method around buying the whole 20 gall kit when ya have the 5 already, you just get the 220 and 25 20 gallon bags, and then run it through the 5's to sort out the different grades.

I'm not trying to take over this thread, but since Esskie's got his answer. What are some of your methods of drying bubble hash? Good luck on your hash makeing Esskie. I'm going to be makeing my first batch in about a week.

I dont know from experience.. yet!!!! but from what I have been told the stems are pliable again pretty quick after being in the water.. just presoak them until they are no longer stiff.. but them the problem comes up.. They all twist around the mixer and you spend more time unjamming the mixer than mixing.. its best to pull out all the stems or cut them down real small and pre soak a little longer..

Esskie

:)

:)

Excellent!!,
Thanx for the very informative info guys :friends: . I've always dry-sieved up to now but after seeing the returns with bags I've decided to grab a set, infact they'll be here within 48hrs :whip: :whip: .

These stems I'm on about are from two afghan grows and there's just as much resin on the stems as the bud! :canabis: . I did think maybe cut it up small Organic Vapor, obviously just not small enough? lol.
It could be run through this veg chopping thing I have which would take it all down as small as I wanted, if it was run through that before frozen maybe?.

I'll post my results as and when my kit arrives and do a show & tell for the class :wink: .

Thanx again folks!, it's well appreciated.

G

As for drying, I prefer to press it lightly in the screens, but not to hard. This is to keep all the trics in a more intact state as they contain some turps inside of them, or so I was told. What I have also been told, and I find this more true from experience, is that the turps (flavenoids) are at least somewhat water soluble so you end up washing away most of the taste that the bud had. When I first started mixing, we pressed the hash very well in the screens, then cut it up fine. It tasted like hash, good hash, but it didnt really taste like the bud. LAst batch I only pressed lightly and then dryed, tasted just like the bud. Didnt cut it up either.

Esskie

I would cut them in half again to make sure..
Would 'dicing' it be cool OV?, what I mean is, this food blender I have also has hand tools with which you can make chips & fries (or fries & chips depending on what part of the world you're in?! lol), this is gonna sound like something from the shopping channel! but it shreds, slices, dices, grates, grinds just about anything you put into it, hand or mains powered.

If I dice it up into little pieces approx 5mm long?, that would that be ok ya think?, it would then be little lump I suppose?. The last thing I want is a holed bottom screen! :eek: :frown: .

As mentioned, I'm a converted dry-siever :smile: , so the 1st time I use my bags will be my first wet extraction/bubblebag attempt so?...... :chin: . We're not going in blind!, we've read heaps of threads & tuts on the process outling the 'Do's & Don'ts', tips etc, you know. Also, I don't know how many times I've watched Bubbleman and/or Barge (of CC) going through it from beginning to end so I feel confident, comfortable about doing it. It's not exactly a difficult concept to understand!.
That said, sod's law decrees that despite how cool things are atm?, when the kit arrives I'll either totally forget everything with my mind going blank or something else equally as silly?! :rolleyes: .

Can I ask you one more thing please OV if you don't mind?, when removing the work bag, is it best to
a)let it drain only,
b)'roll' the contents of the bag from side to side slightly by lifting altenate sides of the bag as it's draining,
c)give it small jerks which causes the contents to 'jump' a few cm's allowing it to drain easier/sooner?.
I hope that makes sense to you, I'm not the world's best at describing exactly what I mean without rambling on which probably confuses things even more? lol :rolleyes: .

It's a 3-bag set I've got coming btw but there is another bag available which has a smaller screen, it's called the 'Catching Sac'. No screen sizes are given so I don't know what it's screen is? :confused: , I'd like to think that if the smallest screen on the 3bag set is 25micron? then the 'Catching Sac' be smaller than that?.
Is one of these catching sacs worth buying IYO man?.

Not sure if I grow enough sativa for such a small screen?, sats tending to produce smaller headed trichs than indicas as I'm sure you know?. Not that just coz of that it's useless to me?!!, quite the contrast I imagine as there'll be a lot of small glands on indicas too huh?.

Wow!, see what I mean about me rambling on? :rolleyes: ,
Thanx again & ATB, Esskie :smile:

G

let the work bag drain, when you pull up the other bags give little jerks to frain the water faster. if you want to have more flavour to the hash tho, you can also use the bubblebags to dry sift, and still get super melty hash.

I prefer running the stem with shake in a homemade tumbler instead of bubblebags . I dont want to damage the bubblebags and the tumbler was cheaper to build than the bags cost.
cannadragon

^^proly good advice, even though I am thinking you gotta be safe, if you dice/grind up the stems.. proly not enough on the stems to risk them poking.. but like I said if you give them a good soak they should bend long before that happens...

Esskie

Hi there,
Well it's certainly all dry enough so grinding it all down isn't a problem at all :smile: .

cannadragon - I'd be interested to hear more about your home-made tumbler man?, I've heard of wind-screen wipers etc, being used. Is it possible to adapt a replacement drum for a Pollinator to fit something like that ya think?.

Harry G gave me a good heads up for a really inexpensive tumbler, the O'Kief which was going to cost £96 delivered from Canada which I thought was pretty damn good!?!.

ATB, Esskie :smile:

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Hey Esskie....how did ur bags work out mnatey.....i just bought them on wednesday too, i aint got much trim to run...about 3/4 of a carrier bag at the most, but its a start...and it would be more if i hadnt taken the fans out, but they only gove contaminant anyway.....
so, just wondering if they turned out for you....I bought mine from u know where, but like i said, they bought em from WC.
Well, be lucky mate.
Harry

Latest posts

Latest posts