What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

**DIY** HID/CFL Combination Reflector

C

Cozy Amnesia

A lot of us smaller growers like to add supplement CFLs to our HID grow lights. I have a 150w HPS and I needed a way to add extra lumans to the far corners of the cab. I needed some way to mount the CFLs and keep them as close to the plants, but I have never seen anybody build them into a hanging reflector. So I set off to change that.

First, I aquired a large piece of sheet metal and cut it to 36" x 20".

reflector001.jpg

Then, I clamped a piece of wood where I wanted to make a bend, like shown:

reflector003.jpg

reflector004.jpg

I mimicked popular commercial reflectors, except I left a foot of sheet metal on both sides for the CFLs:

reflector006.jpg

I made some releaf cuts four inches deep into the sides, then bent the side inward to get some more reflection.

reflector007.jpg

Here are the sockets for the CFL's (I originially had them wired in series, but I quickly learned that CFLs don't like that...)

reflector008.jpg

Next, I attached a ceramic socket for the HPS and two brackets to hang it, and the reflector is done!

reflector009.jpg

reflector010.jpg

reflector013.jpg

reflector012.jpg

I hope this can help those who are looking for a neat way to combine their HPS bulb and CFLs into one hanging unit. This is not very hard to build, but you do need a few common tools and knowledge of wiring. If you guys have any questions I'll be happy to answer them. I'm very happy with it and I'm sure my plants feel the same way!

F

fully baked

That is an awesome reflector.

Thanks a lot for posting. You have some skills with that sheet metal my friend.

White

Love it! good job man. I've been thinking I might need to do this sometime. If I do, I'll know who to talk to.

Peace,
White

ZEROorDIE

theyre not that difficult, its really all about the order you do them as some, once completed will prevent you from making others

I like your custom break for bending it, may i suggest polishing the inside of the reflector if its not, it looks like sheet steel

C

Cozy Amnesia

may i suggest polishing the inside of the reflector if its not, it looks like sheet steel

No, it's not polished, just bare sheet metal. How should I polish it? I don't have a buffer or anything, just a drill.

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
I would imagine painting it although still a little more expensive for metal paint, would be much easier than polishing it to the reflectivity proportion of flat white.

C

Cozy Amnesia

IMO it doesn't really need to be polished. If I did anything I would paint it with a high temp white paint, like paint designed for engine blocks. It actually doesn't get that hot unless there is no air circulating. It kind of acts like a big heat sink....Actually, now that I think about it, painting it white will keep it from getting as hot as it does (I would say it's a little hotter than the rest of the cab). I'll think about it...

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Damn, Cozy!?! That looks like the SR71 Blackbird! Looks like you got 300 watts or better now, your yields will probably double.

I had a last minute kegger and PBR was all I could get! Never had PBR draft but it was good. I like the 16oz PBRs in the can with a little salt on the lid.:friends:

C

Cozy Amnesia

Total watts are 282 I believe. I love PBR, it's cheap yet doesn't taste like dirty water...I think I'll have one now!

White

I meant to comment on that can of PBR Cozy. I'm on my 2nd 12 pack in 3 days (shared a few) Gotta love PBR.

We go to this one dive bar that serves big pitchers of PBR for $6. Good times.

Peace,
White

down2grow

I'm pretty new to this forum and don't post much, but that is one of the best if not the DOPEST DIY reflector on here!!! Those would be perfect for those PL-L's too!!

Nice Job Cozy!!! Great skillz. The only time I drink PBR is at a buddies. That is the only beer he will drink, the colder the better.