What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Next Gen Digi ballast 400 & 600

irieeyes808

I have been waiting for these to come out before I purchase anymore lighting and just wondering what anyone has to say on the subject.
NextGen1000v2-600.jpg

M

MEDI-EVIL

WATT digi ballast you thinking of buying..

thay aint that new ive been using one for a year..

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
do they run both mh and hps?

do they blow any bulbs or can only use certain ones?

I am looking at a digital 600 and am looking between a lumatek and a galaxy. Would a next gen be a step up or down from those choices from those who have used next gens.

M

MEDI-EVIL

my one is a 600 sunmaster plus.as for blowing bulbs ive not blown one(yet)in fact thy burn ur bulb brighter and longer.they burn both hps and MH..
worth every penny.

M.E

edit to say;; they give you 105000 lumes in stead of 95000 off the coil ballast..

irieeyes808

In my opinion I have heard mixed reviews on the lumateks, but I am sure they are great the Next Gen are put out by Discount Hydro an inhouse product of thiers. I would have to say a step up but have never used one so, don't know but I have been putting off buying anything new until these have been released. Peace

T

TroubleGuy

I've read mixed reviews of the NextGen ballasts online, but my buddies at the hydro shop say they suck. Lumatek works great, I have one. No noise, no vibration, very little heat, 3 year warranty. IMO, a Lumatek would be a step up from both NextGen and Galaxy. I haven't had a problem yet.

irieeyes808

dongle, have you heard anything on them? See that's what I thought they were just a dealer but I called and the sales guy saig it was they're product? Perhaps he just wanted to boast or something? Trouble guy so you have heard that the next gens suck? All feed back is intended, I just would like to make a wise purchase without any unexpected issues.

I'd like to know more about these, the only bad thing about lumitek 600 watt is that they don't take both bulbs. You have to use a conversion bulb and I don't think they are as good as a regular MH.

Cannabean

I have the C.A.P. 1000w nextgen and love it. (www.capcontrollers.com)

They run both MH and HPS bulbs and can be powered from 90v-240v(I think).

The nextgen much much cooler than either of my 400w mag ballasts.

The ballast does have two small fans inside that blow out the warm air(like small computer fans) and they do make noise. The noise it makes it louder than either of the 400w mags I used, its similar to a the noise a 4-outlet eco-plus air pump makes.

It fires the bulb extremly fast(1000w at peak brightness in about 30-45 sec imo, they advertise 2min warmup) and has descriptive indicator light if there is a problem with the amperage, bulb, reflector cord, etc.

It is very light and weighs about as much as a standard hardcover textbook and comes with a mounting bracket to hang on the wall.

I have read countless times of lumateks breaking within the first year which is why I chose nextgen and so far so good.

discount hydro is not the manufacturer and they also dont have the best prices on them. I got mine for $333 at horticulturesource.com ($333 for ballast, $70 for bulb and $120 for hydrofarm radiant 8" from plantlightinghydroponics.com ~$550 shipped)

hope this helps.

zing

I run two 1000w Nextgens, have had zero issues so far *knock on wood*. I got tired of problems with my Lumiteks so I made the switch.

I will pick up some 400w nextgens when they come out for a veg room.

irieeyes808

Man I have just talked to the sales guys over at DH and they are telling me that some of the Lumateks do go out and have never really heard anything negative about nextgen and like the fact they have the dual cooling fans plus you can basically stack em if you like but they are so light why not just mount them? Dragon yeah there is no such thing as a 600 MH all 600's run on MH conversions. I just wonder why they don't make or is there a need for a 600 MH???? I am running a 600HPS and use my MH conversion for veg and seems to do just fine, I wish money grew on trees. Thanks for all the input people. Wish list 2 600 next gens and a 400 as well, peace

T

TroubleGuy

I wish money grew on trees.

It doesn't? :p

I thought my Lumatek died today, but it turns out my bulb blew. Lucky I had flourescents to rig up to keep the light cycle going! It wouldn't turn on at lights on for 12/12. Pee'd me off :joint:

I've heard hydro store guys say that Next Gen isn't great, but I haven't really heard anyone who uses one say the same. And a 5 year warranty? Very nice. Lumatek gives 3 years, plus 2 prorated. Hmm.

808, ya for a second there I thought that the nextgen had a 600 that ran both HPS and MH, but ya nobody has a 600 MH. It would be nice if someone worked with a ballast that could run both at that wattage. The 600 is supposedly the most economical, plus not to much growth and not to little.

im thinking of getting one soon. did you see that they have a ballast
that will run 600 or 400. that sounds pretty sweet.
600 for flower and 400 for veg and hot days.:joint:

Bigtrees

I have 2 1000w lumiteks and 1 1000w nextgen and the next gen is in my opinion the inferior product, why would you want it to be as loud or louder than a magnetic ballast ( which the 2 tiny fans will make enough noise) also they arent completly sealed like the lumateks which means you have to dust them out and so forth, they are only lighter because the only heatsink on them is the black strip, id personally get the lumatek its more industrial grade.
and they have all of their bugs worked out from when they first hit the market. burns my cooldeluxe and hortiluxe super hps fine.

B

been

I've only seen these in 1k. Does anyone know if they fire pulse-start metal halides?

Seed Buyer

I just got a Next Gen 400/600 ballast. Been running it 2 weeks or so. I like it and love thier 1000 watters as well.