What's new

Deep Chunk F1 hybrids - F2 and beyond?

PondeLftHndSide

Veteran
Greetings all. Over the past few years there have been a number of great Deep Chunk F1 hybrid offerings on the market from the likes of Richard Williams and HTC, not to mention stuff like the DC x Strawberry Cough cutting from SR71 that has been in the centerfold here on IC recently, and I'm sure countless other crosses that I've never even heard of.

I have a single Deep Congo female, the lone survivor from the first 6 seeds I started. Victims of a quick teardown and a hasty move. But the one survivor was very special, a true keeper IME. Not really a yielder, but what she did yield was of the highest quality. Spicy, savory, incensey lavender-colored buds, very dense and slow to cure, not a hint of fruitiness or sweetness in aroma or flavor. The bubble hash is without a doubt the most unique and distinctive I've ever had - full melt, huge clear domes, transforms from golden snot to white ash in an instant. And partaking of this strain consistently makes me want to dance around the house. Seriously, every time. My girlfriend pointed it out. How can you not love that in a high? :dance:

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Anyway, I digress... I plan on popping the remaining 4 seeds, hoping for a male and making F2's for further exploration. I remember a quote from Tom Hill that was in someone's signature that stated (to wit) "cross the Deep Chunk with a lanky Sativa, then get into the F2 and look for plants with Sativa structure and Indica budstack". I've seen several great grow reports and photos of various DC F1 plants, but I can't recall seeing any pictures or reading any reports of exploration of the F2's and beyond.

Most of the grows of DC F1's I've seen on IC have been very DC-dominant overall (especially the DC-fathered hybrids), leaning very heavily toward squat, chunky, super-resinous plants, even when crossed with a lanky Sativa like the Congo #3. There's a shot of the Congolese mother on the Deep Congo thread, and she's a stringy, branchy one. Almost nothing like my DCon F1.

So is anyone working any Deep Chunk F1's further? If so, what are you finding? Personally, I'm hoping to find something with a more open structure, incensey/sagey aroma and uplifting high with increased bud density and resin production from the DC, then work to stabilize it over time.

Last edited:

Lean Green

Operating Outside the Law
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I plan to play with some Deep Congo F2's, I made my self a gang of them. Your description of D-Cong fits my total experience with it. All four of the girls I've grown smelled the way you describe and the high is always that way.
In the F2's I think we are both looking for similar things, like a Deep Congo with more stretch. I want something that gives me the same quality of smoke on a plant that I can flower from a rooted cutting and finishes in 9-10 weeks.

Colina

Aparently you two have not heard the news yet :D All Indicas are drab and boring - couchlock, and there is no way that this hybrid could be giving you guys that kind of high. I am kidding of course. Regarding further exploration in the DC hybrid f2's, plant like 500% more than you can finish and cull the broadleafed phenotypes. That would be a giant step in the right direction. Cannacopia's hybrids look really nice, I'd like to see what the f2 of their Genius cross would produce. HTC's Powerhouse (a C99 hybrid) is another very well thought out cross. I know between Charlie Garcia, Dubi, Raco and the Spanish camp they've done a ton of very interesting DC/Sativa hybrids. But, with the exception of some Haze/DC hybrids -this one right here, this gem out of Richard Williams camp- this one screams "take me to the f2" louder than any other in my opinion. I believe the Congo was also out of Charlies stock. Please continue on guys, this should be very interesting.

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lovely plant ^^:D
here´s one ACE Panama x TomHill´s DC,F1,day 61 of 12/12 :D

PNMxDC.jpg

PNMxDC2.jpg

I have tried a couple of f2 DC crosses...one was the Alibeep (Alibi Redux x DC)
and the LDS (LSD#4 x DC) :D

PondeLftHndSide

Veteran
Thanks everyone for chiming in. :smoker:

LeanGreen - You've been all over the Deep Congo for a long time now, one of her main evangelists. I think your photos and descriptions are prime reasons why those seeds are finally sold out at Seedbay! I truly can't believe they lasted that long. :nono:

Colina - my thoughts exactly. I came this close to buying some Powerhouse at my local med club, but I'm just not a huge fan of C99. To loosely quote Mitch Hedberg, "it's like pancakes - real good at first, but pretty soon you're sick of it". When I saw the DC crossed with that supremely original old-school looking Congo #3 cutting, I knew I had to have it. I buy my F1 seeds mostly based on whether or not the F2 possibilities are intriguing, and this is one of the top three F1 selections in my quiver for future recombination possibilities, along with Chimera's Highland Guerrero x DJ's Blueberry and Legends Johnny Blaze (Nev's Haze x DJ's Blueberry). I've got literally years of exploring to do with just those three!

Regarding further exploration in the DC f2's, plant like 500% more than you can finish and cull the broadleafed phenotypes. That would be a giant step in the right direction.

Excellent idea. I plan on making scads of F2 seed for just such selections.

Raco - Likewise, a beautiful plant yourself. :respect: See what I mean about the DC daddy dominance? Look at the leaf shape, and the colors on both of our plants - they're out of the exact same crayon box! Similar (but not identical) frame and bud structure as well, but I'll bet the bouquets are like night and day. I've literally never smelled any cannabis like this Deep Congo, ever. Ace's Panama and Yunnan Indica are also in my potential breeding stable, though not for some time. Too much on my plate. I'm really, really looking forward to working with the Yunnan. Novel and pure baby, novel and pure... has P1 written all over it. We'll see...:chin:

Got any images of these DC F2 projects?

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thx PondeLftHndSide :D
Here´s some Alibeep f2 grown outdoors last season...I LOVE it! :joint:

021-2.jpg

fjällhöga

HazeAddictedFanatic
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sweeeeet :D nice thread pon and nice contribution's everyone

here's some F13/Dc

many more to come as i found some Dc studs that are rooting right now :jump:

have a nice :smoke:

Fj

PondeLftHndSide

Veteran
Awesome, fjäll.... I like your work and ideas from what I've seen on other threads. That looks/sounds primo, the bellringing F13 balanced with the deep DC. Look at the colors on that plant - same crayon box! The Deep Chunk males seem to saturate anything they touch with anthocyanin. It looks like the F13 bud structure poked through that hybrid quite a bit - how about the smells? What kind of aroma notes are present? And how's the high?

I'm finding the Deep Congo to have a big but pleasant Sativa liftoff followed by a slowly spreading Indica warmth and relaxation that usually ends in a smile and an "aaaaaaaaahhhh". Very, very well balanced. Fortunately, the couch glue is rather weak and easily broken, and activity is still possible, albeit with some really puffy, red eyes and a bit of spatial weirdness. I wish I could smoke this as a first-timer, I'll bet it would be great for virgin synapses.

I'm going to go through my flower room and figure out when I'll have room for 4 new plants, and plan to get my remaining 4 Deep Congo seeds in there. They're next on the list for sure. I just started some Mr. Nice Spice Hawaiian IBL, so they get to go first. But I want to start exploring this cross ASAP. I have a pretty big closet, but it's still just a closet. I wish I lived in Spain and had a great big courtyard!

I might even get impatient and McGuyver up a CS generator to spray one of my clones for some S1 pollen. Maybe, maybe not.

Farang

Very very nice fjällhöga. If I could first have some F13, then some DC and then a mix of the two. Would I need anything else in my garden? How is the smoke and the high? Could you elaborate a bit?

Thanks for the beautiful pictures / Farang

BENJI

Between the Devil and the deep blue sea...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Damn all them pics make me drool love the deepchunk never tried it but i will someday looks amazing people keep up the good work great photography!!!

fjällhöga

HazeAddictedFanatic
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thx for the kind words pon ....

this plant is a bit of enigma to me ... , its a completely different experience than either one of the parents were able to deliver , its a very instant effect hitting the face first , light droopey lids and a bad grin to both ears , the whole head is getting warmer as the high sets on , its waaaaay less motivating than pure F13's , but i consider it as an active experience with a nice body high that calms you down a bit , no couchlocker though ...

the smell is very distinctive spicey with some leathery-black currant tones depending on curing time , the taste is about the same , no sweetness here :D

66 days with 20 days flush
picture.php

PondeLftHndSide

Veteran
its a completely different experience than either one of the parents were able to deliver

Sounds like success! That's another F2 I would absolutely love to explore.

I found this shot of Tuco's F13xDC... compare it to the shot of my Deep Congo below it. It almost looks like the same picture.

f00.jpg

picture.php

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
that dc really takes the "look" out of most any cross it seems. SO can I ASSume the color is pretty dominate in the dc compared to most anything it crosses OR are do you guys happen to all be after the same "look" in your crosses?

Just wondering because I would love some purple hues in my cross and if it carries this well then it might be worth locating and putting into a project or two of mine.

Amazing pictures everyone, can't wait to see more crosses.

How many f1's are you guys working with to then go into your f2's?

fjällhöga

HazeAddictedFanatic
ICMag Donor
Veteran
that dc really takes the "look" out of most any cross it seems. SO can I ASSume the color is pretty dominate in the dc compared to most anything it crosses OR are do you guys happen to all be after the same "look" in your crosses?

yeah you can assume , but assumptions are just assumptions ...

when talking about the phenomenon " Deep Chunk " be sure to know that this one inherits a strong crossing dominance in the f1 ... and no i dont think that we all select after the same look ... IMHO breeding for a certain look is a poor aim , i dont give a sh#t how a plant looks if the effect is exactly what im after

f13/dc resin shot
picture.php

keep on everyone .... it might get interesting soon .... :wave:

Fj

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
yeah you can assume , but assumptions are just assumptions ...

when talking about the phenomenon " Deep Chunk " be sure to know that this one inherits a strong crossing dominance in the f1 ... and no i dont think that we all select after the same look ... IMHO breeding for a certain look is a poor aim , i dont give a sh#t how a plant looks if the effect is exactly what im after

f13/dc resin shot
picture.php

keep on everyone .... it might get interesting soon .... :wave:

Fj

Not really saying you were breeding out for the color but rather in any cross that I have seen, that color tends to come out making me assume it to be dominate when crossing and if that is the case then I want to add it to one of my breeding projects.

Do all plants show that color in these crosses or are there also green leaved phenos that come out that you guys just happen to cull?

I am just intrigued by the crosses from dc

1000ARMSofKALI

hi guys, i had pleasure to grow socalHashplant1Xdeepchunk F1 from Moonshineman and found female which had that sage-inscence and little bit cheesy taste you talked about PondeLftHndSide i got not many colours from it cause it was summer grow with high temps

here she is:

picture.php

picture.php

35732HPDCbud.JPG

peace

fjällhöga

HazeAddictedFanatic
ICMag Donor
Veteran
same plant as above , just grown at +25degree's room temp's

5747DSC_6511.JPG
5747DSC_6510.JPG