What's new

The Perfect Exhaust Fan for Micro-Growers

C

Cozy Amnesia

I have come to the conclusion that I have found the perfect fan for micro growers. Solar and Palau has been building what they call In-Line Mixed Flow Duct Fans that are "the ultimate solution for small to medium sized ventillation installations which require a high airflow to pressure ration and occupy only the minumal space possible." Is that not the perfect description of exactly what us micro growers need or what!?

The S&P TD series:
http://www.hvacquick.com/catalog_files/solerpalau_TD_Catalog.pdf
http://www.hvacquick.com/spfnconfig.php?fm=td

I ordered, from hvacquick.com, the TD-125. It's the 5" model that is adjustable between 197 and 149cfm. It was slightly over $100 shipped. I have it pulling air through a cooltube and then pushing that are up about 12 feet of duct and into the attic. And it pushes a lot of air up there. Here's some pics:

grow_cab023.jpg

grow_cab033-1.jpg

Here's the lowdown - S&P calls this design the "MIXVENT" series, that is, a mixture between axial fans and squarecage fans. Whatever you want to call it, it's a suped up propeler in an bad ass casing that provides an amazing amount of air flow at an incredibly silent rate!

It's unfortunate that the PDF doesn't list any scones ratings, because this fan is extremely quiet. I have mine suspended from rubberbands in my utility chamber and connected to an aluminum duct. All of which is about 15ft and one thin door from my bed, in which I sleep like a goddamn baby every night. I have no insulated ducting, no muffler, not even a carbon scrubber to silence any air flow, and it's a much quieter than my bathroom exhaust fan.

Yes, it's louder than PC fans, but mainly from the amount of air being pushed around. Though compared to squaral cage or traditional in-line fans, it's a mear whimper. Here's an testamonial of sorts: (sorry to use you as an example FreezerBoy, think of it as a complement)
Also, know that the inlines are LOUD! I've got a 4 inch Elicent and thought I was at Cape Canaveral under the rocket at liftoff...I got an Elicent because it's the quietest of this type of fan...How Loud? Jaw dropping loud. Helen Keller would go deaf listening to these things. I built a muffler, isolated the fan in a cooler and added a speed controler and it's STILL too loud...I don't dare let anyone in the garage because their first question would be, "What the @#$%* is that NOISE?"
Wow, that's loud.

At any rate, I made this thread not with the intent of making up peoples minds, but with the intent of letting all the micro growers out there know that a solution does exist, a high output fan that is near silent yet inexpensive!

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
That's pretty bad ass, a little expensive IMO tho I've seen 150cfm Daytons for $60 I'll have to look, good post tho that description is on point. But price wise I LOVE these Axial fans I get from my local electrical shop. They are made by a company called Orion and are heavy duty unlike pc fans and they are quiet and move a shitload of air 110 cfm is pretty good IMO for a 4" axial fan. I've yet to mount them cuz their so heavy they just sit nice and snug on the floor of my flower cab lol.. But I know once I cut my holes and mount them my cab is going to be perfect for me... Congrats on the find tho it looks pretty cool

That's pretty bad ass, a little expensive IMO tho I've seen 150cfm Daytons for $60 I'll have to look, good post tho that description is on point. But price wise I LOVE these Axial fans I get from my local electrical shop. They are made by a company called Orion and are heavy duty unlike pc fans and they are quiet and move a shitload of air 110 cfm is pretty good IMO for a 4" axial fan. I've yet to mount them cuz their so heavy they just sit nice and snug on the floor of my flower cab lol.. But I know once I cut my holes and mount them my cab is going to be perfect for me... Congrats on the find tho it looks pretty cool

Those Daytons are noisier than my '95 Subaru (externally gated at 30psi)... well not really, but close. The S&P fans are REALLY nice, and I've been saving my pennies for the TD100x, with the plastic blades. Only thing I'm concerned about with these fans is their temperature limit/ auto shutoff.
http://www.hvacquick.com/spfnconfig.php?fm=td

As far as the axial fans, they just physically can't overcome much more than half an inch of water, SP. The mix-vents are best of both worlds, IMO. Quiet like an axial, but suck you goody goody, long timey timey.

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
I'm going have to vouch for my 0.3 Sone 80CFM Panasonic Whisper if you want the QUIETEST possible fan. Variable DC motors adjusts with your static pressure to maintain the rated flow rate. It's caged box design with the intake on the top might not work well with most cabs though.

I'd love to HEAR the difference between it and the TD100x, but I just don't think the S&P will be nearly as quiet as even the 110CFM Panasonic is 1.0 sone.

I have a 120mm (4inch) PC fan that moves 110CFM and when I dial it down a bit to ~80CFM.. The Whisper is still noticeably quieter.

Bumble Buddy

It's unfortunate that the PDF doesn't list any scones ratings, because this fan is extremely quiet.

I wonder if muffin fans have good scones ratings? :D

Seriously though, the sones ratings for fans don't mean much without standardized testing, and also due to the variability of application parameters. Thats why I like to hear testimonials on the boards based on experience.

I think that based on what Cozy A, cannabean, and others have posted about their experiences with these type of "mixed flow" or "mixvent" fans (I noticed CAN just came out with a line of these too), that they are probably the best solution available for some grow situations; not too much static pressure, but a lot better than axials, and considerably more quiet than an inline-centrifugal or scirocco fan moving the same amount of air. I plan on using them for cooling reflector hoods but probably staying with the inlines for higher static pressure jobs like carbon filtering and exchanging grow room air.

C

Cozy Amnesia

Only thing I'm concerned about with these fans is their temperature limit/ auto shutoff.

Yeah that made me scratch my head a little bit when I first saw that. WTF? Oh well.

I'm going have to vouch for my 0.3 Sone 80CFM Panasonic Whisper if you want the QUIETEST possible fan. Variable DC motors adjusts with your static pressure to maintain the rated flow rate. It's caged box design with the intake on the top might not work well with most cabs though.

I'd love to HEAR the difference between it and the TD100x, but I just don't think the S&P will be nearly as quiet as even the 110CFM Panasonic is 1.0 sone.

I have a 120mm (4inch) PC fan that moves 110CFM and when I dial it down a bit to ~80CFM.. The Whisper is still noticeably quieter.

I never mentioned the panasonic whisper because I've never heard it in use before. But it's quit a bit bulkier and harder to install. Still, from what everybody says, an amazing fan.

too big for my micro grow. good info nonetheless.

i picked up a generic 120x120x38mm 240vac 0.4a beefy axial fan, put on a cheap 0.75a variac from a local electronics shop, not used it in the grow yet but its powerful and quiet

C

Cozy Amnesia

too big for my micro grow. good info nonetheless.

Yeah, it appears the micro section is too diverse to say that any one fan is perfect for everyone. That was pretty naive of me to assume, but I was hella baked last night (not to mention the xannax and adderall).

Ok, so I'm restating what I said last night...this fan might be the perfect fan for some micro growers. Obviously, many people here have no difficulties keeping their shit cool with axial fans. I had my experience with axial fans but they just didn't cut it for me, now I'm a firm believer in paying extra for a quality fan. This is one of those things you might want to design your build to accommodate, not the other way around.

Oh i agree completely that a grow should be designed to take what it needs.
I was looking at carbon filters in a hydro shop when i first started designing and WOW even the 4" one is bigger than I thought it would be.. knew right from the off i'd never be able to run one in my curent flower cab as its nearly as big.. That fan you posted will be great for people who can run a store bought CF.

Axial and small centrifugal fans are a tad more work is all

I've got a TD100x that I bought for the cab I'll be building this weekend. I'll post a report once it's up and running. The 100x is overkill for my space, but I figured on low it moves the same air that a TD100 moves on high, so that's got to make for a quieter running fan.

If you're consistently pulling >104 degree air through that fan for long enough to cause a thermal shutoff, you've got bigger problems than a shut down fan. That fan moves the air fast enough that even cooling an HID, the air coming off of it shouldn't be that hot.

Latest posts

Latest posts