What's new

Silencing Core and Coil Ballasts

Kerosene

No pictures yet, the ballasts are currently in use. But to share an idea (any feedback is welcome), we had 2 C&C ballasts which have a decent amount of buzz. Our goal was to dampen the sound. So basically I cut up a Silicone Pot Holder ( http://www.amazon.com/HotSpot-Silicone-Pot-Holder-White/dp/B0000CFV7Q ) into small washers and used them to space the actual transformer inside the ballast off the surface of the project box. It kills vibration almost entirely. Now the ballast is inaudible unless you hold your breath. The transformer is still grounded to the project box with an additional wire for peace of mind.

It's been 3 weeks and so far no problems. When I tear it apart again I'll take pictures to show.

Edit: there's 3 C&C MH in total, 2 are retrofitted shop lights and one is a xtrasun (i think). All have received this treatment and all are quiet :)

SpacedCWBY

Veteran
Hey, that's a pretty smuckin' fart idear there. Thanks Kerosene. I hate the buzz as much as the fuzz!

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
If you're able, move the igniter a few inches or so away from the transformer. My ballast was loud until I did this, took the buzz away.

Kerosene

If you're able, move the igniter a few inches or so away from the transformer. My ballast was loud until I did this, took the buzz away.

Thanks! I will definitely experiment with this. Next ballasts will be HPS for CMH. A ballast can't be too quiet.

Should be added, the pot holders can handle 675F and the current ballasts are MH.

I

inphu510n

Was going to use neoprene or regular rubber washers but this is way better.
+rep for the smart thinkin'