What's new

Protecting Yourself Online

SouthernGuerila

Gotta Smoke 'Em All!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Strip or edit METADATA from files you upload to the internet. You can do this with PhotoME, jHead, there are many other metadata manipulation tools out there.

Use TOR, over encrypted connections, such as SSL. For these reasons - http://forums.cnet.com/5208-4_102-0.html?threadID=263807
http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/ToR-Used-to-Snatch-Embassy-Passwords/
http://www.smh.com.au/news/security/the-hack-of-the-year/2007/11/12/1194766589522.html

DO NOT use your PAID email account(like the one from your ISP). Use TOR to setup a free email account.

Limit your exposure -
Keep personal and private information, PRIVATE and secret.
If you only know, then it is truly a secret.

Do not post pictures, information about your precise location. Pictures of your house, back yard, etc.. Also do not post pictures of your hand writing.
Posting generalized information can and may be used to obtained your precise location. Depends on how much you disclose.

Altering your choice of words(slang included), sentence structure. Develop an alternate personality of sorts. :D

It's better to be OCD(obessive compulsive disorder) about this, than to be lackidaisical.

Not making yourself a valued target is another one. For example do not post pictures of your commercial scale grow op. Bragging about your exploits..

Your three main concerns / priorities should be PROPERLY using TOR and PROPERLY removing or editing metadata from files that could link directly to you.
Yes having your name, camera model, operating system, etc.. attached to files could later be used to provide a link between said file(s), hardware and yourself.

Third would be KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT, don't tell Joe Blow and Bambi about your grow operation, even friends, lovers, buddies, exes, etc.. run their mouth to all the wrong people.

I don't need or want any comments from the paranoid schizophrenic peanut gallery.:nanana: :yeahthats

Last edited:

FreedomFGHTR

Veteran
"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to SouthernGuerila again"

Thanks for the extremely informative post for those of us who are a bit more paranoid than most!

Kinderfeld

I will second everything that has been posted, those are probably the 3 most important tools ( TOR-PROXY/ info stripper/ DONT TELL or be a dumbass :D). Excellent, simple post everyone sheed heed your warnings...especially about bambi...we caught him in an outside garden this year chewing on some plants denying it all...sigh...just couldn't keep my mouth shut.

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
I'm a bit of a "paranoid-cover my ass kinda stuff" nut myself.

But do we know of any case where the first evidence gathered to bust someone was from the internet? I understand it's good to keep everything secure to prevent further evidence,sure. It's important stuff, but I think the majority of people have more important breaches to spend their time worrying about.

G

Good post.

I'd like to add that I saw an icmag webmaster confirm that exif data is stripped when photos are submitted. I'm not sure of the truth of this but I would like to believe it; I would post a test image, but all my pictures have no data already.

Any volunteers?

SouthernGuerila

Gotta Smoke 'Em All!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
For those of you who obviously do know understand the meaning of PARANOIA.

Please reference a DICTIONARY.

Thank you.

These are rational / logical precautions to take, to ensure your security and well-being of your legal freedom.

Last edited:

SouthernGuerila

Gotta Smoke 'Em All!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
http://xerobank.com/ is worth checking out.

They offer paid anonymous services as well as a free "anonymous web browser".

"The benefits of anonymous browsing

xB Browser is the most popular free and open-source anonymous web browser in the world, with over 9 million downloads. You're just a click away from anonymous surfing right now! With xB Browser you can securely and anonymously surf the internet, and bypass firewalls and website censorship.

The main advantage compared to other anonymous web browsers is that xB Browser requires no configuration or technical knowledge in order to achieve anonymity. xB Browser is open-source so you can feel safe knowing what goes into our code. Additionally, it is even portable on a USB stick so you can take it to work, school, or on vacation.
What xB Browser does for you

xB Browser was previously known as Torpark. It does not store a cache on the user hard drive, nor does it store cookies, so there is no mess to clean up with eraser programs. xB Browser also has advanced features such as SSL MD5 RSA certificate vulnerability detection, DOM object and flash cookie protection, cross-site scripting attack prevention, user-agent cloaking, and java proxy control. xB Browser also detects and disables malicious browser addons that are hidden in the windows registry..." --- http://xerobank.com/download/xb-browser/

K

KMK0420

For those of you who obviously do know understand the meaning of PARANOIA.

Please reference a DICTIONARY.

Thank you.

These are rational / logical precautions to take, to ensure your security and well-being of your legal freedom.

no need to get rude. i know what the definition is, i was making a point stating whether it be paranoia or just security in general, it will all be a distant memory some day.

SouthernGuerila

Gotta Smoke 'Em All!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
no need to get rude. i know what the definition is, i was making a point stating whether it be paranoia or just security in general, it will all be a distant memory some day.

We don't use skeleton keys anymore... Security will continue to evolve.

ROJO145

Veteran
www.antitrackskit.com if ya wanna check it out,then head to your nearest torrent site and grab antitracks!!Best little piece of software ever,one click,bases covered.....as well as tracks!!:yeahthats

Mr. Freeman

just a fellow cannabis smoker, vaper, cooker and r
ICMag Donor

Hey Southerng,

Thanks for the info but aren't these reasons enough NOT to use tor? All these articles are about someone hacking TOR.

Is there anyone out there getting busted for posting on a cannabis site? Not that i've heard of... would like to know though...

What free programs are you talking about?

Peace

SouthernGuerila

Gotta Smoke 'Em All!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Southerng,

Thanks for the info but aren't these reasons enough NOT to use tor? All these articles are about someone hacking TOR.

Is there anyone out there getting busted for posting on a cannabis site? Not that i've heard of... would like to know though...

What free programs are you talking about?

Peace
You misunderstood the news articles.
TOR is an anonymity program / tool. Those news articles are about someone setting up TOR exit nodes and sniffing unencrypted traffic.

Worse could happen by using a proxy... Like not being as anonymous as you thought you were..

There are generally 3(no less) computers involved in one connection over TOR.
So its YOU -> TOR#1 -> TOR#2 -> TOR#3(this is the exit node) -> SITE or SERVER you are connected to. There is no way to provide a link between TOR#3 or #2 to you.

Information is encrypted between the TOR relay nodes.

Check out the wikipedia link on TOR.