What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

**((Thundurkel's 252w Fluoro Frenzy))**

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
So I decided to make a new thread just to show what I have going and I will keep it updated as much as possible. Right now I'm doing a side by side test of nutes, it's Fox Farm vs GH Flora Nova I have 2 Alaskan Goo's being fed FN and 2 AG's being fed the FF trio. I'm still rocking shit out of my cfl's! 252w in 2.4sq ft with around 8000 lumens per sq ft. My medium is Black Gold Coco Blend and I'm loving it but will be switch over to Earth Juices "Amazon Bloom" it's a coco based medium with tons of organic goodies added so I was to try it out next. I'll put up my pics when IC stops being lame with upload so until then say what you will and share what you have going. Feel free to ask questions or you will never learn shit and remember I started out with my first grow back in June 2008....

White

Wish I was first to get here :) This sounds great bro. It's gonna be fun. Hey, did you see that post I put up last week about my organic soil? It's coco based, and I know you love coco. Just mentioning it to spark your interest. It's great to buy it all bagged up, but it's so cool to mix your own.

I know the babies are doing great though in that Black Gold, better than any other pre-mix I'm sure. Good luck bro.

Peace,
White

el_dudereno

hey thund, new member here and i just wanna say that youve inspired me to start preparing for my first grow ever. Cant wait to see what youre going to teach us this time, ill be taking notes bro... peace.

B

bagseed77

thun thanks for the thread,i read up on your threads before i started my grow ,i dont submerge but i do feed from the bottom and it seems to work, or atleast keep me from watering every damn day, i do things a little diff but use you and dr as a reference, thats good company to be in, hes the cfl god. peace, tagged

H

Hal

Hey Thunder...

I am very interested how you are keeping your temps in control. I have a similar sized box/cab (approx. 30" H x 30" W x 11" D), just a tad under 2 square feet (or about 6 cubic ft). I have a S&P TD Mixvent fan that pulls 97 cfm, with a homemade carbon scrubber attached. The cab has an 8" x 8" darkroom loever as a passive air intake at the bottom and opposite side of the cab.

I installed 10 socket cleats so I could use 10 bulbs of 23 watts each, but my temps were way to high with 10 bulbs, so I had to keep working my way down to get the temps into the acceptable range. Currently, I only have 87 watts in the box, which is giving me canopy temps around 87 or 88 F. I really thought my fan would do a better job of controlling the temps...I think I've heard that you should have a fan that can pull 3X the total cubic feet of the cab, so that would mean I should only need a fan pulling around 20 cfm's.

Anyway, sorry for getting long winded here :) How are you controlling the temps with that many watts in your grow? Whatever your doing, it does seem to be working quite nicely :)

Last edited:

one Q

Quality
Veteran
Hey Thunder...

I am very interested how you are keeping your temps in control.... The cab has an 8" x 8" darkroom loever as a passive air intake at the bottom and opposite side of the cab.

Hal, those things create so much resistance. Just get regular louvers and cover them with black panty hose. Use the foot, cover once, twist a few times and fold back over. Make it tight enough to be snugg, but loose enough to stop light from getting through. Youll have to vaccume the intake a few times a month.:2cents:

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
As for my ventilation I have 2 4" AC Axial fans that pull 110cfm each and my temps stay around 82 and my plants seem to like it. I don't even have and exhaust haha I just put a fan in both corners on the bottom and since my cab isn't completely sealed the air just gets pushed out the front of the cab where I don't have the mylar tacked down cuz I need to be able to get in the cab when needed... This is not how I want my cab though, I'm just really poor and put all my shit together with stuff I've found until XMAS came and then I got some new lights and the fans instead of that big ol window fan I was using but trust me in the next few months my other cab will be up and running and be stealth with exhaust and carbon filters and everything this is my learning cab really and so far I'm not doing too bad...

Also growers and growettes my pics are too big all of a sudden with this new system over here so I have to resize all my shit!!!! I don't have this issue over at RIU wtf!!!!

Squeeky

May I ask what watering method you will be using and at what concentration. I have though about switching to FN bloom & grow due to simplicity. Currently I use dr bud nutes and like the fact that the same solution is used for all flowering plants from first week to 8th. Will you be doing the same or increasing as the get older? I have my eye on this !

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
I use Fox Farm Grow Big, Tiger Bloom and Big Bloom I use the GB with BB for the week in veg it takes them to reach the sweet spot I need then it's off to flower! I then switch to TB and BB till it's time to flush..

Veg I use 1tsp of Grow Big 1tbs Big Bloom 2 drops Superthrive per gal
Flower I use 2tsp of Tiger Bloom 1tbs of Big Bloom and 2 drops of Superthrive per gal

I also feed them molasses every 2nd or 3rd watering at a rate of 2tsp per gal and I use Brer Rabbit Full Flavor(pretty much Blackstrap)

Thundurkel, long time listener first time caller,
I was wondering (for purely scientific purposes) are you going to do side by side trials of the same strain to see what the different nutrients do? or are you going to use different strains and see what they do to the different genes? I'm a believer that different plants will require different treatments, but regardless, this will be an interesting one to watch.

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Funny you ask Jaysplifferton! I am doing a side by side of the same strain in the same medium started at the same height under the same lighting conditions and just using Fox Farm nutes on 2 of them and Flora Nova nutes on the other 2 ... I'm going to post some pics in a little bit, I need to smoke some Cole Train (SSHxTW) and eat first but I will be updating this thread a lot today so be sure to check back...

H

headfortrinity

This will be interesting, I use Fox Farms exclusively and love to see them put up against other nutes.
I'm also starting up a cab based on the doc's setup, so far I have a 3ft long by 16in deep by 3ft tall cab a 5 socket vanity light with y couplers for 10 lights and a 50cfm bathroom exhaust fan. I'm starting out with 10 - 100watt equivallent cfl and might go to 10 - 150watt if the temps are manageable. Does it sound like I have enough lights?

Rob547

East Coast Grower
Veteran
'Bout time you made another thread Thundurkel. Sounds like a good experiment too, hopefully you'll get some convincing results. Best of luck man, I'll be around :smoke:

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Funny you ask Jaysplifferton! I am doing a side by side of the same strain in the same medium started at the same height under the same lighting conditions and just using Fox Farm nutes on 2 of them and Flora Nova nutes on the other 2 ...

Hey Thundy!

I'm definitely interested in how the two stack up. I'm a Flora Nova fan all the way. Looking forward to the pics :)

Wow! That is so much more scientific than I ever would have been able to imagine. Looking back, I should have been able to glean that from what you said earlier on, but I'm a bit of a dummy... lol. anyhow that's really cool. If I could ask one more (I'm trying to learn more about micro...), when did you stop using Doc Bud's Schultz formula? and what other (if any) mixes have you tried?

Thanks man