What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

F1, F2, S1 Seeds ??

Pirate

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death !!
Veteran
If I pollinate an F1 AK47 Female with an F2 AK47 Male, What generation would I end up with? (F1,F2,S1 ???)

Should I expect quailty?

Thanks in advance,
Pirate

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the problem with the term "F" is its used too much....only 2 "true" ibl`s can produce a "TRuE" F1...

crossing an AK47 with another AK47 from the same line but from a differnt generation makes no difference to its name, ITS STILL AN INCROSS......"from my knolage"

im not sure but i think AK47 "F1" is an outcross....recombining the outcross with itself in any way is a "selected incross", not an "F"

S1 is first generation "self" polinated seeds,,,,only 1 female plant is required for making S1`s

quality will be down to your selection and taste...some plants dont combine nicly..others do,,,,this is because of dominant traits

use 1 male and 1 female to minimize pheno`s in seeds..."dom traits" will mean some plants wont mix well....so you might have to change the farther ....

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The seeds produced would be inbred F3 (the 3rd filial generation)... we think :chin: no doubt someone will correct us if this is wrong.

rick: ANY cross between x2 different plants is an F1 (the 1st filial generation)!!

Only when two separate stable/homogeneous parent plants are used, then an 'F1 Hybrid' is produced.

Hope this helps

G

i have a sourdog that produced s1 seeds and in the proses it pollinated a kalimist female.
would the resulting cross be just a regular cross or will the off spring be female or regular seed?

ClearBarbedFunk

lost in the Haze
ICMag Donor
Veteran
usin a f1 plant, and going back to it with a f2 is a backcross guys not a incross or filial generation.

to create a f1 you need parents from 2 non related lines. once combined you have the f1 generation.

grow the f1s , select males and females, pollinate and resulting seed are f2s, a filial generation. do the same with the f2s and you get the 3rd filial gen or f3s and so on.

backcross, is takin a plant from any generation and goin back to a previous generation, no matter the plant number.

s1s are selfed seed, take a plant reverse it so it makes male pollen, take that pollen and polly the plant. seeds should all be female.

ClearBarbedFunk

lost in the Haze
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i have a sourdog that produced s1 seeds and in the proses it pollinated a kalimist female.
would the resulting cross be just a regular cross or will the off spring be female or regular seed?

you should get female seed of kalimist x sourdog. resulting seed should produce female plants. they wouldnt be s1s, as the km wasnt selfed. you did a fem outcross, and if theres a term for it i havent heard of it.

cbf

Pirate

Veteran
WOW. I hit the magic question.

OK. I am still unsure.

Let me explain how I came about the plants I am using.

I bought F2 AK-47 seeds from Spice Brothers.(at a discount) I already had F1 AK-47 seeds from Serious Seeds. I grew most of them out and now I have a Female F1 from Serious and a Male F2 from the secondary breeder.

I don't have the luxury of having many to choose from for traits and whatnot. I have one Female and one Male.

So, from what I gather from your posts........I will have a 3rd generation. F3s? Not that the F or S # really matters to me that much. I won't lose sleep over it but......... I would like to know what I have when all is said and done.

Keep it coming. Its a good and educational read.

Pirate

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
f1 + f2 = f3, while makin since mathmatically, is a bit off the mark. its a backcross doc, BX1 would be the resultin seed.

cbf

..lol. :biglaugh: we didnt mean that at all.

The generation after f2, in the same line, is usually f3,, backcross or not :wink:

peace

ClearBarbedFunk

lost in the Haze
ICMag Donor
Veteran
f1 female mated with a f2 male, you are takin a plant, the f2 male and goin back to your f1 female, hence backcross. this is the first backcross, BX1. your seed would be ak47 bx1.

Doc, so your sayin, a f1 plant crossed to a f2 of the same line is a f3? not sure im followin ya, or are you sayin since its a backcross its a 3rd gen, which your callin a f3? i thought that the only way to create a f3 was a filial gen of the f2. line me out bro

cbf

kaotic

We're Appalachian Americans, not hillbillys!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would say F1 hybrid because there is a fat chance in hell they are as closely related as you think, coming from two different companys and all. But... then you run into the problem of the parents not being and IBL. The way I see it you are just crossing two hybrids.

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wasted on the way :muahaha:
WTF is this??
originally a Bubba s1 (f) x Bubba s1 (m)...yes,male :D ( full siblings cross)
An outstanding female (Peyote Purple) was selected from this cross and crossed to 4 brothers...
Here´s charlie´s sport in cut form :D

PeyotePurple2.jpg

ClearBarbedFunk

lost in the Haze
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So what is an incross?

i really dont think the term is used in the MJ field. when ya search, all i find is it used in the medical field.

back when i had done a generation with the jacks cleaner bx1, i was clueless as i am now what to call the seed. anyway i had asked here and had all kinds of labels tossed at me. no one really knew. i believe rez came up with the incross term at that time and has been bein used ever since.

he called the seed batch JCBX1 IX1 (incross one, or first incross, somethin like that) so im not sure if its right or not.

incross, ive heard the term around ranches here, cattlemen use it to describe a cross within a inbred line(meanin past what gen the herd is). they quit keepin track of the generations, and breed within a herd. they also use outcross when usin a bull from another herd of the same line.

would seem to me that breeding terms are used in many fields, with slightly different meaning.

cbf

kaotic

We're Appalachian Americans, not hillbillys!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wasted on the way :muahaha:
WTF is this??
originally a Bubba s1 (f) x Bubba s1 (m)...yes,male :D ( full siblings cross)
An outstanding female (Peyote Purple) was selected from this cross and crossed to 4 brothers...
Here´s charlie´s sport in cut form :D

Some serious Kentucky type breeding.

Colina

Hi Pirate,

How about an f2.3, lol? I would label it an f1Xf2 backcross for accuracy. It is a backcross but if the f1 continues as the recurrent parent, the BC4 wouldn't be much different than the BC1 as it would be a case of continuous recombination. Meaning expect some variation. I would expect to find some quality plants in there too. DocLeaf, we have to differentiate between BC's and F's because they are often combined. For example the progeny of a BC3-selfed, are labeled B3f2, as apposed to f5.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks.

Mendel only took the peas to F2 and so there has always been a debate about the exact nomenclature used across proceeding generations since.

Hope this helps,

Pirate

Veteran
f1 female mated with a f2 male, you are takin a plant, the f2 male and goin back to your f1 female, hence backcross. this is the first backcross, BX1. your seed would be ak47 bx1.

Lots of good ides and info I'm getting from you guys. The above quote seems to make the most sense to me. (yes I know CBF is not the only one to say this)

Anyway, Looks like I'm gonna end up with 2 AK males. 1-F1 and 1-F2. I know I can do alot with pollen from these bad boys. I think AK is such a stable plant that I am just gonna keep a FATHER in veg for future projects using my various strains.

My current Mothers include:
Master Kush (Nirvana)
OG Kush (A Local Cut)
Purple Kush (SR-71 cut)
AK47 (Serious Seeds)
Pot Of Gold (Flying Dutchman)
Speed Queen (Mandala)
Satori (Mandala)
And a cross I made called Berry OG. (OG Kush x Hashberry)

Yeah.........I know............ I have to many. I like to experiment.

Keep the ideas coming !!

Pirate