What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Specious Staminate Flowers or Hermaphrodite?

s0cK3y3

These are about to the end of their flowering but I notice that the flowers appear to have what looks like developing seed pods that are opened already. I dont see any pollen or seeds in any plants, I read this "occassionally specious staminate flowers will appear in the last days of flowering of a female Marijuana plant. These do not drop pollen and their appearance is not considered evidence of deleterious hermaphroditism."

I read this copied and pasted on dozens of websites but could not find any sites that expand on this. What is a Specious Staminate Flower? Please see these photos and let me know if that is what these are. THanks in advance.

Some times you'll get stress or a light leak in the late stages of flowering or you could have a LRS gene (Land Race Strain gene) that causes a male flower or so to open and cause self pollenation. You could possibly get a few mature seeds but nothing to get really bothered with, just harvest them as usual and you might get the bonus of a few free seeds. It is rather hard to tell from the photos but I think I saw a few male flowers and split calaxes containing seeds. No biggie, look for yellow bananna looking growth around the top buds and if you'll be flowering much longer just pluck em out with tweezers and your good to go! Just my :2cents: Hope this helps, Sticky

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
These photos aren't really good enough to be sure. I personally couldn't even find staminate flowers even when I used Image Zoom plug-in for Firefox to magnify it a bunch. Can you shine a good daylight fluorescent on them or something and get a really good focused shot?

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is a seed in a split calyx. It reminds me of a couple things. I had a fully seeded plant that had those all over the place, and I had a plant that had one which was deep red or purple.

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
does look like seeds

first pic about halfway down on right looks to be a nanner there as well

s0cK3y3

Bananna's? Nanners?

Bananna's? Nanners?

This is a closer pic, I turned the lights out and used a flourescent. CRAP I AM BENT!!! :badday:

I am pretty upset about this. Should I just yank them? THey dont look like they have too much longer to go. Are they a hazard to the other females?

Last edited:
W

Weedman Herb

Late flowering bananas ... with a few seeds ... Dr Dog has a good eye for sexual deviation ... They look done enough to take and if you have a few seeds (which you do) then those nanners are producing Man Juice. You could mist them with water (contact with H2O makes pollen Non Viable) but too much moisture in the buds could cause mold.

Last edited:

s0cK3y3

you know i am so confused about this. i am in there every day and i never saw any balls or pollen. It just looks like the bananas grew starting very small and got bigger. It does not look like they had ever contained anything. Please advise

Last edited:

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
s0cK3y3 said:
you know i am so confused about this. i am in there every day and i never saw any balls or pollen. It just looks like the bananas grew starting very small and got bigger. It does not look like they had ever contained anything. Please advise

Male parts sometimes known as banannas, also known as nanners

That last pic you can see them, left sticking out.

Weedman Herb, thanks, lots of practice