What's new

MMJ bill introduced in Texas

G

Merry Christmas to the longhorn state!!

http://www.mpp.org/states/texas/alerts/medical-marijuana-bill.html

Medical marijuana bill introduced in Texas

Last week, a bill was introduced that would allow seriously ill patients to raise a medical defense to charges of possessing marijuana for medical use. It would also protect doctors who make medical marijuana recommendations.

Please contact your state legislators today and ask them to give HB 164 their utmost consideration. This is a modest and compassionate proposal to make sure the seriously ill do not languish in prison for treating their suffering.

HB 164

The proposed legislative measure would allow physicians to make written or oral recommendations that, in the physician's medical opinion, the potential benefits of marijuana would likely outweigh the health risks for a particular patient. If arrested for possession of marijuana, a patient with a recommendation from his or her physician would be able to assert an affirmative defense to charges arising from his or her medical use of marijuana. If a court accepts the affirmative defense, it would mean that a patient could avoid jail time and fines. The bill would not, however, protect patients from the initial arrest.

You can also help support HB 164 by submitting a letter to the editor.

One of the main reasons that medical marijuana is finally an issue being discussed in the Texas Legislature is because no fewer than 13 states have enacted medical marijuana laws, the most recent being Michigan.

Thank you for supporting the Marijuana Policy Project and all of our allies. Please pass this alert on to others in Texas who might be interested in making sure HB 164 receives the attention it deserves this year.

One more domino...

awesome news PB! I went to jail some time back in Denton TX for a ROACH. Caused me to miss the big race at Texas Motor Speedway too... although I did get to watch it on tv in jail. lol

Thanks for posting PB, and keeping on top of the legal front!

and oh yeah... ho ho ho :D

SPM

rdy

Anyone here from TX? What are the chances of this going anywhere? Its great and all, but trying to be realistic, especially since this is TX we're talking about

T

texsativa

The governor as well as TX's national senators are against medical marijuana. TX for the most part is conservative but like a lady, only on the outside. I would be surprised it it passes this go around, but I'm confident it will happen eventually.

Plantmanager, the police in Denton are notorious. Not a fair representation of the rest of the state.

Last edited:
G

Folks .. don't forget. Ron Paul is from Texas. And he keeps getting reelected in spite of his pro mmj stance.

This is for the person to be independent from the government as far as their own body.

This is a very independent thinking state.

Loco weed has been there for a very long time. And folks down there understand farming and "if you step foot on my land, I'll remove your brains from you!"

Last edited:
texsativa said:
Plantmanager, the police in Denton are notorious. Not a fair representation of the rest of the state.

It was all a political thing,... Texas Motor Speedway was still new then, and the owner had it built far out enuff that he'd escape city tax, but the city annexed it anyway, and if you're there at the racetrack, as I learned, you gotta watch your @ss. The cops sure are.

Hopefully Texas will be the next state to finally give in.

Persoanlly I think if 'Bama will stop the fed raids, I think it will open up the door for the rest of the states to follow suit. Once the raids stop and MMJ is accepted nationwide, then maybe we can work more towards decriminalization nationwide. We'll see what happens...

J

jws0007

I dont know if anyone tells you but, "thanks peanutbutter." your all over this shit for us. So "thanks man."

okwildfire

SrPlantManager said:
It was all a political thing,... Texas Motor Speedway was still new then, and the owner had it built far out enuff that he'd escape city tax, but the city annexed it anyway, and if you're there at the racetrack, as I learned, you gotta watch your @ss. The cops sure are.

Hopefully Texas will be the next state to finally give in.

Persoanlly I think if 'Bama will stop the fed raids, I think it will open up the door for the rest of the states to follow suit. Once the raids stop and MMJ is accepted nationwide, then maybe we can work more towards decriminalization nationwide. We'll see what happens...
obama..aint going to do shit..never has..never will...that chimp lookin shit bag dont care about you..never has..and never will...he's way to busy watching out for his own ass..it's up to the people of the great state to make your self heard..stop counting on someone that's to busy keeping him self and his buddy's out of prision....STAND UP AND BE HEARD!

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Best of luck Sky-King . Keep a positive outlook and im sure things will work out well. Great to have you posting here at ICmag !!

Storm Crow

Veteran
Hope all goes well with your case!

Hope all goes well with your case!

Good luck to you Sky-King. Hopefully, just the fact that it is being considered, will weigh in your favor!

And give Penny a hug- she's just the cutest little thing! lol ( :nono: If you don't know what I'm talking about, you didn't grow up in the 50s!)

Granny :joint:

Last edited:

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
just got done texting my brother. he is thinking bout selling his business and moving to texas with the rest of the family.(moved out there last two years) just told him im bummed cuz i will now be alone here in cali till texas pulls the head out of the ass as far as mmj goes. then the first thread i see is this! good news that the wheel is starting to spin, even if it takes awhile to really get rolling.

It's not my place to judge the man, he's not even in office yet!

It's not my place to judge the man, he's not even in office yet!

okwildfire said:
obama..aint going to do shit..never has..never will...that chimp lookin shit bag dont care about you..never has..and never will...he's way to busy watching out for his own ass..it's up to the people of the great state to make your self heard..stop counting on someone that's to busy keeping him self and his buddy's out of prision....STAND UP AND BE HEARD!

Hey there Okie... while to some he may BE a 'chimp lookin shitbag' I'm not about to pass judement on him just yet. He has given his word that the fed raids on dispensaries and compassion clubs as well as med users needs to end, so until I see otherwise, I'm holding back my critisizm. He MAY not... but I think it's best to wait to see just what he does. If he goes back on what he said, he's going to lose a good bit of support. I personally think with Bill RIchardson in his cabinet, it's to OUR advantage. If all he does is end the fed raids, that's a big thing for the med users. It may NOT be decriminalization, it may NOT be legalization, true. BUT... steps are steps. Even if they are baby steps. As I've said before, 20-25 years ago, even MMJ was totally out of the question.
I just don't see how the feds can justify the raids in light of that fact that to this day, there are STILL cancer patients that receive their meds from OUR GOVT. A friend at work with a family member that had terminal cancer was receiving a cylindical tube every 2 weeks through the FEDERAL Postal Service, with I believe 125 prerolled perfect mj 'cigs'. While he's gone now, his life was extended by our sacred plant. This was herb grown by OUR govt, and at the same time, they raid clubs and growers that supply a need. That kind of 'internal policy conflict' needs to be addressed. And I truly believe someday it WILL. I don't care who is prez, or how it ends, but the hypocracy needs to be stopped nontheless. If pressed to keep his word and doesn't, he's hurting not only his image and approval rating, but ill people as well. As I say, time WILL tell.

Don't know if you were born in OK Okwildfire, but I lived there many many years, and never thought I'd admit, I kinda miss the city. I still have family there, but love living in the mountains too much. I was in my teens in OKC and it will always be remebered to me as one helluva party city. Memorial Park on N Classen was THE hangout back in the day. 39th Expressway was THE place to crusie back in the late 70's early 80's. Overholster lake was another great party place too. HUUUUGE hacky circles. 12th St in Moore was a great place to cruise after OK city cops shut down 39th. Draper lake was another great party place. Seen many many concerts at the Myriad, (long before the 'Ford Center' was squeezed into downtown) as well as the Zoo Amphitheater. The Bricktown Brewery was a small venue but great concerts there too. I lost my 'topless bar' cherry in the Red Dog @ 17... boy was that the place... lol
Anyway...not to stray too far from the thread topic :D

I DO have faith that change will come... under the 'Bama admin or not, it WILL happen, just as it HAS been since 1993. Truly, it matters not if they are baby steps, they ARE STEPS!

Peace

SPM

I thought it would be a lot longer before they tried to get the MMJ ball rollin' in good ole TX... lived here all my life, and always thought this place was so ass-backwards when it came to MJ laws...

And Sky-King, I hope the best of luck to you with your current troubles!!