What's new

Legends Ultimate Indica - Hempy Buckets -Stealth CFL Cab

Hey All!!!! Well, I'm just about done with my first run in my new IKEA Wardrobe CFL cab. I ran Apollo 11 and I am in the flushing stages :jump: Had a great run and now I'm onto the next project: Legends Ultimate Indica (LUI).

My last documented grow I didn't really comment on the plant developments, just mainly posted photos so I'm going to do this one a little differently. Every 5-7 days I will do an update with pics, documenting the size of the buds, nute mix, tric development, smell, etc. Hopefully this will help a lot of noobs that need a helping hand :rasta: Please feel free to post comments and questions. I'm starting this grow in flowering, veg is boring to watch anyway, lol. This is my first attempt at growing LUI, should be fun!

Day 6 of Flowering
Genetic: Legend’s Ultimate Indica (LUI)

Lighting Conditions

Lighting: CFLs – 1-68 watt, 2-42 watts, 2-23 watts, 2-27 watts
Distance: 6" - 12" from plant
Cycle: 12hr/12hr

Environmental Conditions

Temperature: 80°F to 85°F
Humidity: 40%
Ventilation [out]: 140cfm 4” centrifugal fan
Ventilation [in]: Passive air intakes
Heater: none
Air Conditioner: none
Odor Control: 2600 Can Filter
CO2 Induction: Yes, CO2 dispersed by 6" Air King fan

Water & Medium Conditions

H20 Type: Spring Water [0ppm]
Growing Medium: Hempy Buckets (3:1 - Perlite:Vermiculite)
Container Size: 1 gallon plastic containers
pH: 5.5
TDS content: 1000ppm

Feeding

Nutrient Solution: FloraNova Bloom, FloraNova Grow
Nutrient Levels: FloraNova Bloom = 1/2 tsp per gallon, FloraNova Grow = 1/4 tsp per gallon
Additives: Diamond Nectar, Sweet, Cal-Mag, FoxFarm Open Sesame
Additive Levels: 1 tsp per gallon DN, 1 tsp per gallon Sweet, 1 tsp per gallon Cal-Mag, 1/8 tsp per gallon Open Sesame
Foliar Feed: No foliar feed during flowering

Plant Health / Stats

Plant Height: 10"-12"
Bud Density: no buds
Trichome Production: none

Notes:

Plants are short (they were LSTed during veg). New pistils show up everyday. Growth seems to be going well, plants look very healthy.

***UPDATE***
Pictures :)

LUI #2

LUI #3

Last edited:

petemoss

Hi ThisBuds4You! You have good taste in strains! LUI and Apollo 11 are my favorites also. Have you seen this thread about LUI? http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=17174 Good info about the different phenos of LUI. Not sure, but I think I have two distinct phenos of LUI. The Sweetooth pheno seems to be the predominant type, while the Ortega pheno is more rare and sought after. Supposedly you can smell the difference between phenos, but my sense of smell is shot from too much cigarette smoking.

I notice you are using the same Can 2600 as I use, but you have a 250 cfm fan. Is the fan speed controlled? The specs on the Can 2600 give a surprisingly low max CFM rating of 42 cfm, so you may run into odor problems with such a strong fan. Fortunately, the LUIs are a fairly low odor strain. But with something smelly like AK47, your fan may draw the air thru too quickly to remove the smells. just a thought.

Hey Pete,

Thanks for stopping by. Your grow is pretty awesome BTW, I love your SOG :) Unbelievable buds, everyone should check it out! I did get a chance to read the entire LUI thread, man it was long! But it has a lot of good info. I can't tell the difference between these 2 yet. I've also got a LUI male I am flowering in my other 250 watt cab. I'm going to try and make some seeds in a few weeks (I've got 3 more LUI seedlings in veg). I'll have to take pics of my 250 watt cab, I used your cab for inspiration (as well as icough2getoff) :) Thanks buddy! I think I will do a few coco grows in there pretty soon. And I had a typo on the CFM rating of my fan. It's actually 140 CFMs. Thanks for catching that! This filter does a great job of cleaning the air, when it's not on it reeks in here. I'm not even going to try something like AK47, I think it would be waaay to skunky for me. :rasta:

Flowering Day 13

Flowering Day 13

Day 13 of Flowering

Lighting Conditions

Lighting: CFLs – 1-68 watt,

Environmental Conditions

Temperature: 80.°F to 85°F
Humidity: 45%

TDS content: 1200ppm

Feeding

Nutrient Levels: FloraNova Bloom = 1 tsp per gallon, FloraNova Grow = 1/4 tsp per gallon
Additive Levels: 1 tsp per gallon DN, 1.5 tsp per gallon Sweet, 1 tsp per gallon Cal-Mag, 1/4 tsp per gallon Open Sesame

Plant Health / Stats

Plant Height: 14"-16"
Bud Density: small buds forming
Trichome Production: none

Notes:

Plants are still short but have stretched (about 4”). Plants are being tied down to control height. Side branches have grown about 4” in 7 days. All leaves are dark green and look lush and healthy. Picture update this evening.

vince514

seeker of greater knowledge
Veteran
i'm currently growing lui also......here's my pics under 1800w of hps one of my phenos smells like grape sweet tarts......

hazy

Veteran
you know that when you get to smoke that LUI, you're not going to be able to get off the couch. :muahaha:

Day 20 Flowering - 12/12

Day 20 Flowering - 12/12

Day 20 of Flowering

Lighting Conditions

Lighting: CFLs – 252 watts (actual wattage of all bulbs)

Environmental Conditions

Temperature: 80°F to 85°F
Humidity: 40%

TDS content: 1200ppm

Feeding

Nutrient Levels: FloraNova Bloom = 1 tsp per gallon, FloraNova Grow = 1/4 tsp per gallon
Additive Levels: 1 tsp per gallon DN, 1.5 tsp per gallon Sweet, 1 tsp per gallon Cal-Mag, 1/4 tsp per gallon Open Sesame

Plant Health / Stats

Plant Height: 14"-16"
Bud Density: lots of buds forming - 1" tall, 1/2" diameter
Trichome Production: little frost forming

Notes:

These 2 LUI plants are stretch monsters, I was surprised because this is an Ultimate Indica. I've LSTed the main branch & side branches. I hope the stretching is just about done. I have been able to keep all plants at the same height. I mistakenly broke a branch :bashhead:, so we'll see how SuperCropping works! LOL. I haven't taken any LUI clones, but I will take clones and post in the next report (noobs, don't take clones this late!) LUI seems like it will be easy to clone, unlike Apollo 11. Forgot to post a pic last week, so new pics coming in the update this evening.
I also want to make a note of the pistils on the LUI, they are kind of thin and wispy. Other strains I've grown have been very fat, thick pistils, but not the LUI. I will keep an eye on this and we'll see if it changes...

Last edited:

petemoss

Hey ThisBuds4You, haven't seen any updates/pics for a while. How's those LUI coming?
Your Apollo 11 plants finished beautifully! Guess you've been busy smoking some of those fat buds! And all done under CFLs - very impressive. I wanted to ask you about your LUI grow but not sure if you are still around.

Hey Pete,

Lol, yeah, you're absolutely right. I've gone from smoking once a week to several times a day since the Apollo finished, lol. I've been tweaking the CFL cab and now I've got my temps to stay at about 80 :woohoo:. Since I've been able to get the temps down a little, I was able to add bigger CFLs. I've also added a UVB bulb, I'm quite sure this has made a big difference in the resin production in the plants. I have one Apollo on the UVB shelf along with the other LUIs and they are insanely frosty. I've also got the other cab up and running (250W HPS) and I've got a new and bigger veg cab. I've started a bunch of new seedlings (Mazar-I-Sharif freebies) I got from SBay and some older stock I had. Sorry about the updates everybody!

The LUI is doing great. Its moving along slowly but surely, should finish at 70 days. I snapped this awesome bud closeup a few days ago. As I stated before,these LUIs are the some of the frostiest plants I've ever grown. I have taken the PPMs up to 1500, I think this is as far as I want to push them (I burned the tips of the leaves a little bit). I will start flushing in 7-10 days. They smell nice, not really sure if I can tell what they smell like yet. Maybe a few more days will tell... I've got some closeups I need to post, but I think the server is down for maintenence. I will get a better overall pic up here when lights are on also, I've gotta feed today anyway :)
--
TB4U

icough2getoff

Nice to see some new pics up TB4U. You're not kidding, she does look frosty. That second pic is an awesome macro. :yes:

I love the natural phenomenon of smoking more than normal after a harvest, for a while anyways. :rasta:

petemoss

Nice pics, TB4U! So you'll let them go to ten weeks? I chopped most of my LUI at 8 or 9 weeks, as soon as I see some amber trichs. Do you go by trich color or does it take longer to flower for CFL lighting? You must be doing something right, because those A11's came out just perfect!

I see you like to push your plants with a strong dose of nutes. I do the same - give them as much as they can take and when I see the leaf tips burnt, back off a bit. But just recently I read in the Mandala Seed forum a sticky by MandalaMike about fertilizing:
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=13689 He recommends feeding at no more than 0.8 EC , which would be equivalent to 400 ppm...about 1/4 strength! Maybe I should change my approach and lighten up on the nutes. I'm doing that with my plants in coco and it seems to agree with the young plants - about 1/4 to 1/3 of the recommended dosage.

ICough:
Yes, I've been keeping my lungs full :joint: How's that BMR? Sure does look like some tasty smoke! What's it taste like? When's your next run in the cab and what are you gonna run? I really enjoyed watching your grow, it was so pretty :) I've started to flower some BlueberryxMangoxHashPlant (I call it Electric Hash) in my new 250 watt cab. Out of 9 seeds I had 8 females! Isn't that crazy?!? Guess I did something right when I made those seeds (doubt it, lol). I've got those in coco, so we'll see how that works.

Dreams:
Thanks for stopping by :rasta:

PeteMoss:
Yes, I'm letting them go for a full 70 days. I think the CFLs add a few more days, but not as much as I thought they would. Judging from the pistils and trichs, they've still got a ways to go. The critical weight gain happens in the last 2 weeks, and I don't want to short change myself. I think I really cut myself short when I chopped Jules (the Apollo 11) at 52 days. If I let it go to 60 I think I would've gained around 15% more weight. The other Apollo that I let go to 60 days (Meg) was amazing, and it weighed more than Jules which was a shocker. I want this LUI to knock me on my ass anyway, so I'm gonna take it slow and see what happens. You bring up an excellent point about fertilizing. I wonder if this is different for hydroponics. I know that soil will retain some nutes and release them slowly over time. I used to grow in FFOF, then in the Moonshine Mix. I really loved the taste of those Moonshine mix buds, and the ease of watering (no nutes). But they took FOREVER to finish. I wonder if that had to do with no nutes. I think I'm going to try this low nutes thing out. I will pick an Electric Hash plant and run it at 1/4 nutes, we'll see if that has any affect on yield & taste. Thanks for the suggestion Pete.

Snapped some photos last night of LUI #3 at Day 52. 18 days left!!!

icough2getoff

ICough:
Yes, I've been keeping my lungs full :joint: How's that BMR? Sure does look like some tasty smoke! What's it taste like? When's your next run in the cab and what are you gonna run? I really enjoyed watching your grow, it was so pretty :) I've started to flower some BlueberryxMangoxHashPlant (I call it Electric Hash) in my new 250 watt cab. Out of 9 seeds I had 8 females! Isn't that crazy?!? Guess I did something right when I made those seeds (doubt it, lol). I've got those in coco, so we'll see how that works.

The BMR is good but the flavor is usually kind of subtle. It's a pretty low odor strain but there are undertones of some kind of sweetness, and the flavor is similar. Pretty potent. I only had 3 F2 girls from seed to choose from but she was by far the best out of the 3. Next round I have a couple bubba chunks, Grape Krush F2s, Fernando (SFV Kush X HTC Jamaican Jam), and a few mystery crosses all from seed and I also have Trainwreck, Headband, and Purple Champagne clones that I'm going to give a go. I just finished some of the TW in my 250w closet this last month and I really like it. Will start flower in about a week and might get a thread up some time in flower.

That's sweet you made your own seeds, I need to do that one of these days. Will be interesting to see how those turn out. That's some awesome luck for your female ratio. I'm also a fan of feeding my plants on the lower side, I hope it works out for you.

Last edited:

Scorp1on

looking good man, my LUI grow was my best grow in 2-3years, loved the taste and the look of the buds. keep it up!

O

Organic Farmer

This is those kind of threads that I love to read.
So much information and grow skills.

TB4U, I read your Apollo 11 thread.
You did a great job with those CFL.

I was skeptical too about CFL, but you have showed me that I was wrong.

I have one little doubt.
I never heard about Hempy Buckets.

I think that I may understand what is that grow medium.
My question is why?

It seems to be something like a inert substrate as coco medium?

Bro I wish you all good luck on this run.
Jah Bless

Regards
OG FARMER

Last edited:
Yo Yo YO!!!

Yo Yo YO!!!

Hey Hatch & Thak1lla:
Thanks so much for stopping by and checkin out my LUI. :rasta:

ICough:
You've got quite a strain lineup, that's awesome! Man, I wish I had access to clones :badday:, oh well, maybe one day. So you liked the Trainwreck huh? I got some Trainwreck IBL seeds on the way from SBay, I'm very excited about it. How was the odor? Yield? Do you have any snapshots of what you've got going now? Feel free to post them here, I'd love to see them!!!

OrganicFarmer
I'm so glad that you've had a chance to stop by and check out my Apollo 11 and LUI. I chose to try Hempy Buckets because I have never done hydro and this seemed like the easiest way to get started. I was a dirt farmer previously. I knew that the possibility of salt buildup in coco existed, so I wanted to be safe on the first few go-arounds and try something totally inert. I am now delving into the world of coco, however. I've got my Electric Hash Plants in CocoGro Boss cubes in the 250w HPS cab. So far, so good. :rasta:

CFLs have been amazing me everyday, and the new LUI shots should be a reflection of my amazement. Check out this LUI nug I snipped at Day 55. It's a little lower nug. Check out the frostiness, can you believe that this is from CFLs!?! This still has a few more days, however...chopping on Day 70...

LUI tastes pretty good, kinda sweet. Only proper drying & curing will tell...

Here's a quick picture I got of one of the LUIs, Day 58. It's grown quite a bit over the past 7 days. Flushing now, 12 days to go...