What's new

1 Month Without Watering, Plants Live!

RetroGrow

Veteran
So I had to leave town for a month, but wanted top keep my mothers alive. Was going to set up a drip system, as suggested here, but got jammed up at work, and didn't have the time. I was down to my final hour, and decided to repot everything (9 plants), into Miracle Grow Moisture Control Potting Soil, with water crystals. I put some in 3 gallon pots, and others in only 1 gallon pots. I saturated them with water until the runoff filled the drip pans and just left them, thinking that there was no way they would make a month.
Well, to my surprise, all but 1 made it! Not only that, but they grew quite a bit, right into the flourescent fixture. The soil was bone dry, but I guess those crystals really work. I could not believe a single watering kept plants alive in a one gallon pot for a month, but it did.

hazey4

thats crazy if i let mine go any more than 5 days in 3 gallon pots they look like complete shit

dontstepongrass

M.U.R.D.A. / FMB crew
Veteran
he didnt say that they DIDN'T look like shit, he just said they were alive. i'd bet the tops were all crispy from the lights... but nothing water, time and a hair cut can't remedy

NiceShoes

Yeah Bro, tell me about it...

I had to take off for thanksgiving weekend. When I came back my mothers where so dry/dead it made me want to cry... after an extensive hair cut of dead/crispy leafs I had 30 something sticks poking from the ground.... Everything has new growth thank god... It's unfortunate, all the work that went into my plants...

They are in very small dixy cups however... I am doing an extreme bonsai mother project.... Long story why I have so many.... Just procrastinating. I suppose.

NiceShoes

RetroGrow

Veteran
If you check out this soil, it just stays wet for a long time. Crystals can also be bought separately and mixed into whatever.
I was still amazed to see several plants in 1 gallon pots endure for a full month. They looked fine.

FRANKENBLUNT420

me blunt is like, wicked yo!! owight
ive seen those crystal things around but never trusted them. so i guess they work from your report. at times i have to leave for about a week at a time and have come back to pure death in my cab. any more research on the crystals? where to get them? i cant stand using miracle grow for anything, although i am admitingly going to try the organic line for my next run.

keep us posted retro, hope your grow stays strong. any b4/after pics maybe?

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
Yes. HD, Lowes, Menards have water crystals, but the are like 40 bucks a pound. I picked up 2 pounds for under 20 bucks on ebay a few years ago. I use them, and while I water most days, I guess they give me some kind of insurance should I take off for the weekend.

In my current grow, which I have yet to post, I lined the bottom of my 2 liter bottles, which do not have drainage holes with 3 inches of hydrated crystals and water. Within the first week and a half, I'll have to check my notes, all the water from the crystal and water solution was used up by the plants. I haven't figured out how to get more water to the bottom of the container without flooding the plants.

In my experience, the crystals work. They collect and hold water.

steppinRazor

cant stop wont stop
Veteran
ive use the moisture control miracle grow before just outta a last resort and i noticed absolutelty no difference at all.

5 gal pots need to be watered every 3-4 days max.

i think one thing that probably saved your plants was the fact they were under fluoro's..

good to hear your ladie's made it through such a rough time tho.

voxberry

similar...

similar...

Hello people .

I have a similar experience, 20 plants, been gone for 18 days, but I just used 2 L bottles, filled with water, with a piece of cloth in the bottle head and inserted in the soil.

When I came back all the plants were doing great ! and the bottles were sucked up by the roots I guess ! :)

But one should use a dripping system to be sure .

Also this thing with the water cristals does not work in a hot room, or with a lot of HID's.

Peace !