What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Truth About PAR, Lumens, and Plants (May Surprise You)

Quazi

So, I found myself stuck in a position where I was going to be repeating the same information as yet another person decided to try and repeat the same "lumens are useless for plants" sentence they undoubtedly picked up in a forum or on a website.

Fine, I'll repeat myself, again. But, I decided that a thread would be more suitable so I wouldn't have to keep repeating myself. Unfortunately, this is going to be long and a bit technical because it's much harder to teach an old dog new tricks.

Hold on...

:bongsmi:

...now then:

To say lumens are a useless level of measure is to say that inches are a useless level of measure since they aren't the centimeter.

The rest of the world thinks that inches are a useless measurement; doesn't that make them invalid? No. It's just that they have to be used correctly in conversation. In order to do that, you need to really understand what you're talking about.

:ying::ying::ying:The Truth About PAR, Lumens, and Plants (May Surprise You):ying::ying::ying:

First, let's set one thing straight about lumens: they are not useless when discussing plants. As such, that is the point of this post. By the end, hopefully you will understand that lumens do matter. While they aren't the ideal unit of measurement when talking about light and plants: that doesn't make them useless.

Lumens are a measure of lux which we (humans) use to determine the relative brightness from a light source. Yes it's based on the sensitivity of the eye. That's because it's the only tool our bodies have to safely and easily detect light. Of course we would have a measurement based on this. We could use our other method of detecting light: our skin. But that wouldn't work very well, especially for plants because our skin is affected by light differently than our eyes. We're talking about lumens, not sunburns.

However, to say lumens are useless, is to completely discount the fact that humans have vision in overlapping areas within the PAR of the spectrum in similar strengths of response. If that didn't make sense, read on. If you think that made sense, please read on.

Allow me to illustrate.

Lumens are measured based on the way humans perceive different wavelengths of light. According to the most recent (and they are fairly recent in scientific standards) measurement, the response that humans have to various wavelengths is illustrated here:

(Don't pay attention to the colors in the image as they are highly inaccurate; more about the source of information when you're discussing light and PAR in a bit...)

Let's talk about luminous intensity for a second.

Do a search for "PAR plants" in Google and you'll find a couple of things: people talking about "PAR watts" in forums, and specialty lighting/aquarium stores explaining them to you.

The most commonly quoted (unfortunately) information about lumens and plants is on a website that sells specialty lights for plant growth (go figure):
Measuring Light for Humans: Lumens and Lux

First, how do we measure light quantity for humans? The obvious way is based on how bright the source appears and how "well" the eye sees under the light. Since the human eye is particularly sensitive to yellow light, more weight is given to the yellow region of the spectrum and the contributions from blue and red light are largely discounted. This is the basis for rating the total amount of light emitted by a source in lumens.

The light emitted from the source is then distributed over the area to be illuminated. The illumination is measured in "lux", a measurement of how many lumens falls on each square meter of surface. An illumination of 1000 lux implies that 1000 lumens are falling on each square meter of surface. Similarly, "foot-candles" is the term for the measure of how many lumens are falling on each square foot of surface.

Clearly, both lumens and lux (or foot-candles) refer specifically to human vision and not to the way plants see light.

How then should the rating for plant lighting be accomplished? There are two basic approaches to develop this rating: measuring energy or counting photons.
Well damn! From that, I must be out of my gord to continue this thread! Search around a bit more and you'll find many other lighting or horticulture companies offering a similar explanation. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. While that's a decent explanation, it is obviously biased and therefore: flawed. Stay with me here 'cause it's probably gonna get a little thick.

Lumens are a standard measurement of something called "luminous flux." Luminous flux, is exactly like radiant flux except it is adjusted for the sensitivity that you see in the image above.

In case you aren't catching on already: luminous flux does derive from the measurement for electromagnetic radiation where your beloved photons come from.

The image above, is actually displaying how the human eye responds in accordance to a mathematical formula called the photopic luminosity function, with some nifty colors added (albeit terribly). The photopic luminosity function looks like this:

I know, it's a bunch of symbols and garbage to most. Well, the important part in the equation is around the J as it indicates the measurement for the power per wavelength (or power spectral density (PSD) if you wanna get technical). Power, if you recall from your physics class, is the amount of energy transferred over time.

In this case, electromagnetic radiation: photons.

Notice that the rest of the explanation on the aforementioned page continues to provide useless information to continue to fill your head with stuff to distract you from regular light bulbs? Just silly.

Now that we're all on the same page, we can see that the measure of lumens is related to photons and light energy; it's just not tailored for plants and how they perceive/react to the light.

I don't even need to mention "PAR watts" because, frankly, it isn't necessary to prove my point now that you see that lumens do relate to energy from light sources.

Now we can look at more pretty pictures.

The next thing I want to make sure everyone is on the same page about is PAR.

First of all, this:

...is not PAR.

:rant:
In fact, before I go into PAR, I would like to take this moment to point out that that not all graphs are created equal. As such, the aforementioned source of information concerning PAR has horribly inaccurate graphs when it comes to color. From looking at their graphs, one would assume the color green in the wavelength is around 515nm or so. This is not true. The green shade starts around 500nm with it ending at 579nm. By the time you've hit 580nm on their chart, you're already deep in the orange already and heading to red which shouldn't happen until around 630nm on an accurate chart of the visible spectrum. Plopping a rainbow on a graph does not make it accurate, thanks.
:rant:

PAR stands for photosynthetically active radiation. In other words: the area of the spectrum of light (or color) where plants and light interact. I say interact, because there are two things to look at when you're talking about light and plants, how well chlorophyll a, chlorophyll b, and the carotenoids absorb the light that is coming in and the rate at which photosynthesis occurs relating to different spectrums or the "action spectrum."

Chlorophyll a absorbs red and dark-bluish light.

Chlorophyll b absorbs orangish and light-bluish light.

The carotenoids absorb the blues and purple which is towards the ultraviolet end of the spectrum where radiation can be harmful to cellular life at certain levels. As such, the carotenoids also help to protect the plant from this radiation.

Most other colors are reflected giving off the green tone that you are so familiar with.

Here's a chart so you can see the difference between the two and the specifics for all the information regarding photosynthesis and the visible light spectrum:

Now then, the chart I showed you, before the academic one above, is attempting to illustrate the the "photosynthetic response curve." It's sort of an average of the two charts above, taking into account the absorption and the rate of photosynthesis. Unfortunately, because it was made by a plant-lighting company, it fails to drop the curve down appropriately in the 550-625 wavelength range. Not only that, but it also displays the wavelength colors in contrary to a little thing we call reality.

So, I decided to grab an accurate representation of the visible area of the spectrum from an encyclopedic source. I then scaled it appropriately to match the correct wavelengths given on these graphs from an academic source. After this, I laid them over the charts in the graph:

Now we can get a better idea. But we still don't have that nice view of the "photosynthetic response curve." Why do we need it? Let's use averages no more and just look at the data as it exists. So, this is a much more accurate representation of PAR as it doesn't require a "curve" to be applied to account for the two sets of information. Hope you like it:

So please, when you're talking about PAR, stop showing pictures created by a lighting company that show an averaged "photosynthetic response curve." Either show the photosynthetic response curve, or talk about photosynthetically active radiation. Just don't get them confused. Now you have an image I painstakingly crafted to help you along the way too.

NOW that we are on the same page about lumens being related to the energy produced in light, photosynthetically active radiation, and the photosynthetic response curve... I can start to prove my point.

Companies will show you the relative response curve that lumens are measured from and tell you that it's only useful to human vision and, therefore, has no other application especially when talking about plants. They will usually follow up the explanation with further explanation of "PAR watts" and how they are so much better. After that, you'll get to read about how specialty grow lights are so much better because they have a higher PAR watts rating, or you can just browse the rest of their site and get the same effect. This is a tool that they use to help sell you their products. They are not providing the information to be helpful. If they were: they would be a teacher and they might be writing a book about it.

All the chart proves about humans is that they are more sensitive to yellows and greens in the spectrum. Does this mean we can't see purple or dark red? No. It just means that our eyes do not react to those wavelengths of light as strongly as they do for those wavelengths existing in yellow or green. This is why caution signs are painted in special paint that reflects yellow light with negative space in them at drivers on the road.

By the way, don't get confused when talking about color. Colors, as we see them, are due to all other wavelengths being absorbed by a surface or pigment and thus, a resulting wavelength is reflected.

Because humans can see or, visibly perceive, the relative brightness of a light, they can determine the strength of that light wavelength regardless of how well their eyes react to it as long as there is some existence of visible light.

Case in point: black lights. They emit a deep purple light on the end of the spectrum where our eyes are barely sensitive. If you show me a 100W black light and a 300W black light, I can tell you which one is emitting more light and power by looking at them. I can't tell you this because I have super-human strength. I can tell you this, because I can observe the lumens coming from the lamp.

By the argument of those preaching "PAR watts," my statement about which black light is brighter is voided out by the fact that lumens are not finely attuned to that particular area of the spectrum. While that may be true, it still doesn't discount the fact that using lumens to determine how much ultraviolet light is coming from one source compared to another was a perfectly suitable method for describing and factually stating the relative perceived ultraviolet light.

See? Lumens are useful even for describing light and it's power even in cases where we have little-to-minute sensitivity to particular wavelengths.

Now, that was an extreme example using a spectrum that human eyes are not very sensitive to. However, it was done to further emphasize my final point.

If we look at how lumens are measured, and we overlap it upon our previous image (which I won't do, because you can visualize a bell in the middle of the image easily enough), you can see that there are plenty of areas which not only overlap, but do so in strong correlation in many areas especially when compared to the overlapping area between human response. In some areas, there is such strong correlation that humans are actually more suited in observing useful light for plants than plants are!

To go back to our example: if you can explain how changes in ultraviolet light and energy correlate to changes in perceived lumens, then you can certainly use lumens to explain/compare other areas of photosynthetically active radiation that are far more sensitive according to the photopic luminosity function.

So... no. Lumens are not useless when discussing plants and how much energy they can potentially receive from given light sources. Can we stop saying they are, now?

There you have it. Please let me know if there are any corrections because I'm certainly open to them.

Just make sure you're not giving me information from a company that makes a living off of you thinking regular lights and their measurements are "useless."

'cause if you do, I'm gonna use their information against them and do something like proving my point without using a single word:

Are lumens "useless" for plants? Let's ask Company A:

Oops looks like lumens are related. Someone better find a bigger bag because this cat is running around everywhere.

Again, please don't mistaken this post for me saying lumens are the most appropriate unit of measurement when talking about light and plants. That is not what I am trying to say. What I am trying to instill in the reader is that lumens are not useless when we're talking about lights and plants.

-Q :rasta:

Last edited:

minds_I

Veteran
Hello Quazi,

Its been a while, but I think one can fit a curve to the photosynthethic response curve and fit a curve to common light source wavelenght output curve and integrat a chart of common light bulbs and there relative PAR wattages could be made.

Afterall, the function above is just the weighted area under the bulb wavelenght output curve correct?

minds_I

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Sorry Quaz. All you've shown me is that lumens measures the light my plants want the least, if at all. Sounds pretty useless to me.

kaljukajakas

Good explanation. I agree that lumens are not useless at all - provided you know the emission spectrum of the light source.

If you don't have spectral information then you cannot, for example, decide which of two different 50 000 lumen lights is actually better for plant growth.

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
I agree that lumens are not the best measure of the quality of light emitted by a particular bulb. But, without an SPD chart to go by, I tend to use PAR charts (when I can find them!), number of lumens, Kelvin temperature, and, to a minor extent, CRI ratings, when looking for a bulb. That being said, one being more accurate than another, each has a place in choosing a grow light.
:2cents:

:rant: I think it is just pure laziness, and/or a complete lack of concern for their customers, and/or outright deception on the part of manufacturers, to not put SPD charts on the bulb packaging to begin with! But, then again, I'm a lazy bastid myself! :moon:

Namaste, mess

BlindDate

Veteran
So if I go out and buy the cheapest coldest Metal Halide warehouse bulb and put it into a reflector with the cheapest warmest HPS road light bulb I've built the perfect PAR light!!!

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
I'M SO CONFUUUSED!!! lol j/k

I'M SO CONFUUUSED!!! lol j/k

I've always looked at "PAR" as the spectrum or wavelength the light needs ta be in. And "Lumens" as the horsepower ta get them there. But I'm simple minded tho! lol BC

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
Btw...

Btw...

It seems when buying floro's the only choice you have is to go by the kelvin degree temp and color rendering index ratings. BC

A

Azeotrope

I may have stimulated this with a response to a post someone made claiming that someone who was considering an upgrade to a 600w from a 400w should expect at least double the yield due to having twice the lumens.

I do not consider lumens at all when picking a bulb. I get better results all around in equall environments by picking the bulb that provides the spectral outout most similar to the sun. Plants have been evolving/adapting to the sun's output for millions of years. Certain plant hormone responses that occur as a result of exposure to the correct spectral ballance and to certain "areas" of the light spectrum are much more important to full developement and plant health vigor than that narrow band measured when calculating lumens.

Granted, this has been my experience over many years and I am not speaking as an expert on plant biology. I am an expert in the fields of electrical and mechanical engineering. I believe it to be patently false/inacurate to tell someone that they can expect twice the yield from twice the lumens!!! It is quite tru that if you pick out a 250w CMH you get a certain amount of photon production at all wavelengths, if you pick the 400w CMH you get more photon production, with the same wavelength coverage. Now pick a 400w or 250w HPS (enhanced or not) and you may get way, way, way more lumens, that do nothing to enhance overall plant health and growth while the plant fails to produce certain hormone and growth responses that would be seen under a "sun-light" type photon distribution across the spectrum.

Just my thoughts, I may be a fool, but I have never (in many years) had a plant die or become gravely ill in my garden. I have never seen a mite or other infestation other than a few fungus nats and I attribute this all to providing as close to natural lighting as possible. Believe me, I live in an agricultural area and the bugs are so thick in spring and summer I have aphids, mites, thirps and all other critters just outside the door!!!! Even before the days of CMH I had at least a combo of HPS and Metal halide or flouros as it seems crazy to cut out so much of a plant's diet just to pump the lumens. I think I will cut out all vitamin D and maybe vitamin C from my diet and see how I do!!!!!

Kind of a rant! Sorry, I do believe the previous posts to be well constructed and to contain good information.

Azeo

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
I'm no expert on light or physics, but I was a vision scientist for many years. And I just wanted to point out that your graph showing human sensitivity to light as a function of wavelength is not too accurate. Our overall sensitivity is based on the sensitivity of three different types of receptors in our eyes--the so-called red, green, and blue cones. We are most sensitive to light in the green and red end of the spectrum and much less sensitive to light in the blue end. It's not a simple normal distribution with a peak in the middle like your graph showed. It's a combination of three overlapping distributions. Here is a more accurate graph of the relative color sensitivity of the human visual system:
cones.gif

Quazi

Tony Aroma said:
I'm no expert on light or physics, but I was a vision scientist for many years. And I just wanted to point out that your graph showing human sensitivity to light as a function of wavelength is not too accurate. Our overall sensitivity is based on the sensitivity of three different types of receptors in our eyes--the so-called red, green, and blue cones. We are most sensitive to light in the green and red end of the spectrum and much less sensitive to light in the blue end. It's not a simple normal distribution with a peak in the middle like your graph showed. It's a combination of three overlapping distributions. Here is a more accurate graph of the relative color sensitivity of the human visual system:
cones.gif
That graph is a graph showing the fraction of light that is absorbed by each of the cones that are within our eye.

It does not help us with the overall sensitivity of our vision to different wavelengths of light. It's very specifically discussing the cones that (along with rods somewhere probably too) help to make up our vision and how little light they actually absorb. While it's a useful chart, scientists develop mathematical equations and functions to approximate what is happening based on information like that chart.

However, that chart is is a biological specificity: not something that can be used to help determine the overall reaction to different wavelengths with the human eye. The photopic luminosity function is meant to represent how our eyes react to light and it is used when discussing lumens so it is not only accurate, but useful information.

Knowing that one rod picks up light than a better rod (and just by how much), is not useful information for this discussion. It may help you determine what color rod is affected, and maybe by how much, but that still doesn't give us the information we're looking for.

We're trying to discuss lumens and how they are recorded. The biological way humans eyes sense light isn't important.

If you don't know anything about physics, then say you don't understand. Not that I'm incorrect. Because frankly: I'm not incorrect. That is a representation of the photopic luminosity function used to determine lumen output from light sources based on the relative sensitivity of the human eye.

That's the problem with people who call themselves experts: they don't realize how much they don't know.

I can appreciate you adding to the conversation. But telling me I'm wrong and providing a graph giving separate information is not really helpful at all.

Last edited:

eyes

Veteran
no right or wrong-just difference of an opinion.not myself just observations from the responses

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Quazi said:
That's the problem with people who call themselves experts: they don't realize how much they don't know.

I can appreciate you adding to the conversation. But telling me I'm wrong and providing a graph giving separate information is not really helpful at all.
FWIW, I didn't call myself an expert in anything. However I can make a few simple statements of fact: I have a Ph.D. in experimental psychology, and my area of expertise, where I spent 12 years doing research, is human visual perception. During that time I published over 20 articles in refereed scientific journals. I don't know if that makes me an expert. That's your call. At the very least, it certainly makes me aware of how much I don't know.

And I didn't mean to imply you were wrong. Just that your description of the visual system and its response to light was a bit oversimplified. And yes, you can determine the "the overall reaction to different wavelengths" based on the reaction of the visual receptors (i.e., rods and cones). Not only can you, but you have to since that is the only source of input the visual system has. That's where everything starts, so visual perception must ultimately be derived from the responses of the photoreceptors.

Now whether or not that is relevant to a discussion of PAR and lumens and such, I don't know. As I said, I'm not a physicist. My intention was just to provide some additional information that might be useful and/or relevant.

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
Here ya go, BD.

The properties of light are inter-related and can be measured a number of ways. Some more relevant or accurate than others. Here are a few.

Namaste, mess

Last edited:

MostHigh

Lumens = a point of reference so close to useless in indoor gardening, we cut to the chase and call it...useless.

Go on and make a 532 nanometer light source as intensely bright as you can to the human eye,...and then watch a plant totally disregard it.

If plants had their way, the invented term used to measure the intensity & availability of a source of photons would be....Phar-phumens!

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
I have only basic light knowledge, so Lumens & Kelvin are my friends.

I use lumens simply as a brightness/intensity rating when shopping for bulbs. :chin:
All spectrums being equal, I'll take the higher lumies.
I look for balanced spectrum with enhanced blue for veg (6000-6500k) & enhanced red (2700-3500k) for flower.
Anyone see anything wrong with my bulb shopping criteria?

Currently testing Growbrights, really like'em so far & they have nice spectrum charts on the box. Was a big selling point for me.

From this...
Chlorophyll a absorbs red and dark-bluish light.

Chlorophyll b absorbs orangish and light-bluish light.

I'm thinking that the newer MH/HPS combo bulbs might actually be worth a try?
Has anyone tried'em?

Good thread, I found it really informative!

Quazi

Tony Aroma said:
FWIW, I didn't call myself an expert in anything. However I can make a few simple statements of fact: I have a Ph.D. in experimental psychology, and my area of expertise, where I spent 12 years doing research, is human visual perception. During that time I published over 20 articles in refereed scientific journals. I don't know if that makes me an expert. That's your call. At the very least, it certainly makes me aware of how much I don't know.

And I didn't mean to imply you were wrong. Just that your description of the visual system and its response to light was a bit oversimplified. And yes, you can determine the "the overall reaction to different wavelengths" based on the reaction of the visual receptors (i.e., rods and cones). Not only can you, but you have to since that is the only source of input the visual system has. That's where everything starts, so visual perception must ultimately be derived from the responses of the photoreceptors.

Now whether or not that is relevant to a discussion of PAR and lumens and such, I don't know. As I said, I'm not a physicist. My intention was just to provide some additional information that might be useful and/or relevant.
Nice, sir. I thought that you were trying to qualify your explanation as to why I was incorrect by stating your educational/professional experience.

I apologize for my flippant response and appreciate your input in the thread.

:spank:

zolar

before you loose all the non techies and folks who spent their school days not going to class or reading
what they were supposed to why not
paste in the conversion rate factors to get an approximate PAR value from a lumen rating for the various type of bulb

and while you are doing that explain how the units you use matter but they all can be converted with some math work to be comparable
thats what the einstein is a measure of photons per
time unit per area unit and that will convert
to numbers that fit in with watts per square foot/meter

i am not an engineer or tech geek but i have been doing ansel adams type photography for years and
can use a handheld light meter which gives me a starting point with a scientific basis when comparing lights

if all the gardeners every where started asking whats the par rating about any bulbs pretty soon PAR would be on the boxes like color temp and lumens are now....

Latest posts

Latest posts