What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

OD Seed Buying: Do's and Don'ts.

G

For me, it's that time of year where Im planning out next years grow and obtaining the items needed to conduct the grow. At the top of the list is the purchase of those seeds that have been selected for the grow.
My first few grows of store bought seeds were less than stellar, but as time went by, I developed a list of criteria for seed purchasing that greatly increased my outdoor growing effectiveness and the results observed on Oct. 1. I thought it might be helpful to others to list those criteria and I may learn from others through hearing their criteria.

My criteria are enumerated by importance.

Maturation information: The most potent, vigorous, heavy yeilding strain on the planet is useless if it won't finish at your lattitude and all of your efforts, hopes and weed will die with the first snows. Mistakingly choosing a strain that won't finish always results in a failed and wasted grow effort regardless of any other factors. This mistake is fatal.

Having said that, OD maturation dates are often difficult to discern and apply to your lattitude, especially on new and untested crosses. If I don't know a strain that Im interested in, I will look for the listed days to maturity. I need to be harvested by Oct. 21st and out of many purchased strains, any that matured in 45-55 days have always matured in plenty of time for me. Starting at about 65 days to maturity, I start to be aprehehsive. I always add 7- 14 days to what the breeder states as maturation date

I grow strains that I don't know well, but never as my primary grow. Ill throw a seed or two out during the summer to see how and when they flower, but I would never bet my whole grow on a strain that finish date is questionable.

Breeders Descriptions: Ive come to learn that the language breeders use is telling. "Untested outdoors" means the breeder doesn't have a clue as to the behavior of the plant outdoors and you cant either. It may do well outdoors, but again, I wouldnt bet my main crop on the potential. Make sure your grow is based upon more than hope.

"Indoor". I tread lightly here and generally when I buy "indoor" seeds to grow outdoor, I will at least have a few grow reports indicating that it will do well outdoors. "indoor" can mean anything from the plant is acclimated to 12/12, "we just don't know" what will happen outside

I generally avoid breeders and strains that utilize language like , "Numerous Pheno's" or "each plant is special" offerings like the plague. This usually means the breeder has bred 2 very dominant strains and each of the offspring is a battle between the 2 genetic giants for dominance. The result is always going to be "god only knows what youre going to find" result. Treasure hunters love these strains, but there is truly no substitute regaurding results, for having knowledge and understanding of the strains you intend to grow.
Im likely to avoid breeders that provide no outdoor information. This usually means the same thing as "untested". The breeder really only knows the potency of the plant and its behavior under a completely artificial enviroment, but nothing of its true nature/stature or behavior.

Location, Location, Location. This year I intend to grow femmed big bud. I have a number of locations that I grow in. I have 1 location that is in a river valley with deep rich soil and the plants get huge. It also stays heavy with fog and dew until 10 am. and cold air settles in low lying areas in the fall. If I plant my big bud here, ive wasted all of my money and effort as mould will destroy the plants. I have another location that is on a knob that gets full all day sun, but the wind is attrocious here at times. If I plant my big bud here, when reaching maturity the wind at this location will destroy the huge buds and the plants they are growing on.

No, I need to plant the BB in an are that isn't low lying or windy, but sheltered.

Always choose your locations before choosing your strain. I have 7 different grow sites and each one has qualites that provide indications for strain selection. Whenever I purchase a strain, I know geographically where I intend to plant that strain. I see unknown strains that interest me and i buy them, but again ill test these out before betting my entire grow and all of this years smoke on the hope that they will perform in an outdoor setting.

Color and Size: Color for the OD gardener can be important. Ive allways wanted to grow blueberry outdoors here, but the simple fact is is that there isn't a single natural plant in my enviroment that is blue, red, yellow and green which is the maturing color of BB. It would stick out like a sore thumb.

Size can be so difficult to determine because it depends all most as much on the soil and sun as it does the strain. Perhaps more so. Over time, Ive discovered that most "compact" strains grow to 5 -6 feet. Medium strains grow to about 8' and large can be LARGE. Depending upon your grow location and the size of the concealing vegetation, choosing the wrong strain can be fatal.

These are the considerations I make but Im sure others have their own criteria. Lets here some.

Last edited:
I never trust anyone selling a product to make a profit. I trust only those who have tried the product and make a judgment with nothing to gain or lose based on their assessment. My first criteria is others' success stories in locations/circumstances similar to mine using a certain strain from a certain breeder.

sativa92

good topic... im running all new genetics this year, and im lost.. i have been running the same strains for years so i knew them like the the palm of my hand(no pun intended) this year is all heavy yeilders, like biddys sister, kc brains stuff,.. from the breeders description on biddys sister it says that the branches get so big that a wind storm could be devastating ,so im already planning a way where that wont happen. the breeder says nothing about mold resistance.. so another uphill battle? maybe... i guess thats why i stuck with what i know.

johnyhash

Cannabis Connoisseur
ICMag Donor
very good advice silverback. My buddy was going to try and grow some thai stick in ontario I thought he was joking. Luckily I managed to convince him to grow my select clones instead.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Great stuff as always Silverback, has anybody here any feedback on the Canadian seed companies outdoor strains, either the Mighty Mite lines of semi autoflowerers or specific northern latitude outdoor plants like Bonkers ?

johnyhash

Cannabis Connoisseur
ICMag Donor
I think probally the best outdoor genetics selection for northern growers is at unleashdagreen. Try there you have to become a member though.

Purkle

Yes silverback very good description for this time of year. Alot of us are on the hunt and gathering our info. Great write up and some great points are touched on here. Too many people go out and buy/plant and end up with nothing due to the wrong strain/location. Thank you and this is bookmarked for sure.

scaramanga

Very good points SB.

Some considerations in my area are that I use some areas where deer hunting takes place, and I must be done by October; I aint walking around in the woods with those nuts(I know cause i'm a hunter).

I use an area in the mountains that can receive as much as 80 inches a year; definitely a consideration. Anything less than mold proof just wont do. Early sativas seem to do much better than indicas in this environment.
Most of my planting(not that its much) is done in rural areas where concealment is a major factor. Think color matching, maturation date and size.

I'm pretty new at outdoor and have been pretty much just toying with it (i'm mostly indoor). But due to space limitations I'm going to be giving it a more serious effort this year.

Good thread SB!

G

Hey everyone
Scaramanga, I hear ya on the gun toters looking for blood. Thank goodness gun season just ended this week and I can get back into the field. Guerilla growers cant wear orange.

Unleash da green does have some good strains. BreederBrad2 has several dandies. I grew out his congoleseXGG and it was very good. I like the canadian companies and their seeds. Any of the outdoor strains developed in canada finish. East Island is a good breeder as well as Kootenay Mountain. Their Grizzlies are very good outdoor plants.

Im going with a couple of big yielders this year as well Sativa92. Big Bud and Great White Shark. Both are branch breakers so Ill have to plant them in 48" tomato cages. Like you, Im partial to growing strains I know well.

sativa92

does the taller fences really help with big girls?? it makes it easy when you grow what ya know.. but after smoking the same strain/s for years you start to desire something different.. and when you grow something new it takes ya out of the comfort zone...

LazLo

sativa92

I like to try new strains. Part of my "comfort zone." Staying on top of the grow. Tried Greencure this year at silverback's reccomendation. Try it, you'll like it. I like strips of pantyhose to hold branches or even encircle several. It's flexible...dries fast and blends in.

silverback

I've been lucky with the seeds I've used over the years. Most I start indoors about a month before transplanting outdoors. I think my sucess has been due to the "hardening off process." A freak late spring frost can be a killer so I like to start some seeds right at the site. Those generally are the strongest plants and the ones I try to use for seed production.

I find that anything 8 or more weeks flowering is OUT for me. I've had strains start flowering as early as Father's day and others waited till Labor day to begin.

I got into growing to:
A. KEEP MY MONEY
B. have better smoke
C. get much needed exercise

And will continue to grow for the same reasons!

Good luck to everyone.

Greens

medicine farmer said:
I never trust anyone selling a product to make a profit. I trust only those who have tried the product and make a judgment with nothing to gain or lose based on their assessment. My first criteria is others' success stories in locations/circumstances similar to mine using a certain strain from a certain breeder.

Very good advice! Even though I'm a breeder and do make a little profit from it, I totally agree with you. It's always best to hear how the strain did for other people who have bought and grown the seeds out.

With that said, unleashdagreen absolutely does have the best outdoor genetics for those with short seasons. lol Well, we don't have feminized yet, but that will likely change soon.

Greens

Last edited:
G

I'm to old to use the "never" word medicine farmer, but dang fellas, profit can be a real incentive at times when applied properly. In fact, If I had to give 2 reasons that there is a cannabis market i would have to say 1. love of plant. 2. Dreams of profit.

Greens, let me provide you with a vision. This vision is a result of 30 yrs of strategic business planning experience. I consult with companies, look at their product/process, look at the markets they target and then help them to produce a business plan for the future that will allow them to flourish. Ive done it for so long thatthe analysis almost comes natural. If i were to be hired by a seed company to provide planning, here would be my report.

About 3 years ago it became clear that fems would take over the cannabis seed market and that occurrance would have a real impact on standard seed production and price. Currently, femmed seeds are flooding the market and competition is increasing dramatically. This has begun to drive down the price of standard seeds and this trend will continue for approximately 24 months At the end of that period, standard seed prices will have fallen by approximately 40% to an average price for high quality standard seeds stabilizing in a range from $23.00- $40. There will be a great deal of variation in seed cost during this 24 mo period resulting from a race to the price bottom by newer, more ambitious companies and resistance to the change by older established companies. Established companies will be slow comming to the table. This provides significant opportunity for the newer companies to excel and shape the future market with both price and product.

When dissecting the impetus behind the femminization of cannabis , it becomes clear that the real goal of the grower/industry is that of predictability and efficiency of the grow and femminization of seeds is really just one apect towards that predictability and efficiency. It is logical that this trend to effiency will continue with an outcome that results in most of the seeds sold on the retail market being female and autoflowering because that is the maximum expression of efficiency. Just as cattle will always follow a natural path, humans will as well. This course for the cannabis industry is inevitable.

When reviewing the cannabis seed industry, it becomes apparent that some companies are closer to this eventuallity than others and currently, I would conclude that the breeders at unleashdagreen are sitting at the cutting edge for this bright new future of cannabis growing. The mindset of these growers is unique in that envisioning other possibilities and pushing the envelope by necessity has been their standard MO. That aspect, along with the need of these breeders to control the maturation process provides them with assets that others do not possess . The 2 components of the cannibis seed future are;.
controlling the maturation procees
controlling the sexual process.

Its my sincere beleif that the next Dj short will come from Udg or some similar entity. Personally, I wish you guys would get to it. Im inpatient.

Last edited:
I would like to see a show of hands regarding female seeds. Who uses and likes them? I'm not trying to call you out SB, its the opposite, im hoping to prove you right. Im just scared of fem seeds b'c ive heard so many hermie stories. Granted that was at the end of the OG days back in the very early days of femming. The way i plant, i leave them alone too long to have a risk of a herm, i just use clones of KNOWN females grown and tested over the winter. so whats the verdict? im hoping fem "technology" or skills or whatever has advanced enough to make them herm free. i'd love to get the mothers out of my home and be free to use seeds. (less risk/exposure)

Who has bought fem seeds RECENTLY and had a herm free run? please chime in, likewise if you had herms lets hear about it. Im talking recently too?!

G

I don't mind if someone disagrees with me medicine farmer. I believe you are correct that the process may not have been as effective in the past.

Also, my opinion of fems is conditioned soley to outdoor growing. Im an outdoor grower and that's where my experience is. All plants perform and respond differently outdoors and outsiders don't deal with photoperiod instability, extreme heat and other aspects that are present in the indoor/artificial garden. Fems may hermie like hell indoors, I dont know.

I avoided them myself for a long time, but i was given a pack of female seeds ice for Christmas and the results shocked me. I bought another pack and then another and after growing them for awhile i swear by them. They fall in the "working smart" category for me instead of "working hard". I know a number of outdoor growers that feel the very same way.

Hallelula.

I will say that I dont pay much attention to discussions about germination rates or hermies because its my view those incidents result generally from grower error.

Fingaz2

Femmed seeds are the way to go if your a breeder, keeps them coming back for more. I actually like smoking weed with seeds in. Those seed cases are so damn tasty. Kief pipe, & I'm happy, its a nice up high.
Smoke a freak, get freaky. lol.
good luck guys. :rasta:

phate

Veteran
generally femmed seeds are VERY stable. they have uniform growth almost like clones because the daddy pollen donner is the same as the female mother.

i have only grow 2 packs of female seeds, but this is my understanding from what i have read.