Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Grow It! > Cannabis Infirmary > HOT SHOT No-PEST strip -VS-Mites!!

Thread Title Search    
Click for Medman's Genetics
 HOT SHOT No-PEST strip -VS-Mites!! Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2008, 04:52 AM   #1
norcalkell
It's not my rump! get over it..

norcalkell is a jewel in the roughnorcalkell is a jewel in the roughnorcalkell is a jewel in the rough
HOT SHOT No-PEST strip -VS-Mites!!

Ok, I found mites a few wks back I wiped them down w/ Jungle juice soap and I have a No-pest strip hanging AND NO MITES!! I know the Jungle Juice DIdN't kill them SO it must have been the pest strips.... thumbs up for the HOT SHOT NO-Pest strip!!!

Old 11-27-2008, 03:20 PM   #2
the_man
Keystone Pride

the_man has a spectacular aura aboutthe_man has a spectacular aura about
they work very well I brought some plants in for the winter

they had tons of bugs after a few days under the light

all gone now they kill just about eveything
the_man jest offline   Quote

Old 11-27-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
MEDUSA

Haaah! I had 3 of them in a cab, with seriously infected plants. The mites were thriving. I thought the same thing at first. I was like.....yeah, death to the borg right. Them fuckers were snacking on the Hot Shots lol! The only thing that has worked for me, is a gift from a friend called Floramite. I guess it's really expensive too. But if you can get someone who has it, to sell you a few ounces, well worth it. Sprayed once, every mite stopped moving. Carcasses everywhere. I checked every day for a month. Nothing! No mites!

MED/USA

Old 11-27-2008, 04:23 PM   #4
B.C.
Non Conformist

B.C. is a survivorB.C. is a survivorB.C. is a survivorB.C. is a survivorB.C. is a survivorB.C. is a survivorB.C. is a survivorB.C. is a survivorB.C. is a survivorB.C. is a survivorB.C. is a survivor
Smile

Hey Med, I've seen a few folks say they didn't work for em. I think sometimes there old before they ever get bought by anyone. I've used em several times over the years and always had good luck with em. I heard nothin but good things about the floramite tho. Anyway you can kill those lil bastards is a good way I spose. lol Take care... BC
Once I thought I saw you in a crowded hazy bar, dancing on the light from star to star. Far across the moonbeam I know that's who you are, I looked in to your eyes and I saw fire! Before that moment you touched my lips, that perfect feeling when time jus slips, away between us on our foggy trip....
B.C. jest offline   Quote

Old 11-27-2008, 04:52 PM   #5
crzygirl
Your Plants Get Me Wet

crzygirl has a spectacular aura aboutcrzygirl has a spectacular aura about
Yes, the Hot Shot No Pest Strip 2's work great. I had mites on my girls, and hung one strip in all three of my box's. Within 12 hours I was seeing carcasses, but they didn't kill the mites fast enough.

So, I researched and found another cheap quick way to eliminate mites is to mix a 50% water to 50% rubbing alcohol solution and spray the plants top to bottom, underside and topside, one to two times daily.

The rubbing alcohol evaporates before it can hurt the plant, but before it evaporates it will fry those little buggers!
12+gal. Res.
175MH & 250HPS

My 2 Plant Perpetual Grow

My 2007 Grow Thread

MynameStitch's - Complete Guide to Sick Plants, PH & Pest Problems

ICMAG'S OFFICIAL ~DIY~ Link-O-Rama
crzygirl jest offline   Quote

Old 11-27-2008, 04:56 PM   #6
mapleboy

mapleboy will become famous soon enough
They work GREAT for mites.... NO EFFECT on thrips tho... use Spinosad on the thrips... works WONDERFULLY..
Quote:
Originally Posted by crzygirl
Yes, the Hot Shot No Pest Strip 2's work great. I had mites on my girls, and hung one strip in all three of my box's. Within 12 hours I was seeing carcasses, but they didn't kill the mites fast enough.

So, I researched and found another cheap quick way to eliminate mites is to mix a 50% water to 50% rubbing alcohol solution and spray the plants top to bottom, underside and topside, one to two times daily.

The rubbing alcohol evaporates before it can hurt the plant, but before it evaporates it will fry those little buggers!
ONLY problem is you have to REPEAT several times due to eggs hatching...with the strips just LEAVE em there.

mb

Last edited by mapleboy; 11-27-2008 at 04:57 PM..
mapleboy jest offline   Quote

Old 11-27-2008, 04:59 PM   #7
crzygirl
Your Plants Get Me Wet

crzygirl has a spectacular aura aboutcrzygirl has a spectacular aura about
Yes, repetition is a must with the rubbing alcohol and water solution. I still left my strips hanging up though, to kill off any eggs that hatched after I stopped the spraying.
12+gal. Res.
175MH & 250HPS

My 2 Plant Perpetual Grow

My 2007 Grow Thread

MynameStitch's - Complete Guide to Sick Plants, PH & Pest Problems

ICMAG'S OFFICIAL ~DIY~ Link-O-Rama
crzygirl jest offline   Quote

Old 11-28-2008, 07:45 PM   #8
RockyMountainHi
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.

RockyMountainHi has much to be proud ofRockyMountainHi has much to be proud ofRockyMountainHi has much to be proud ofRockyMountainHi has much to be proud ofRockyMountainHi has much to be proud ofRockyMountainHi has much to be proud ofRockyMountainHi has much to be proud ofRockyMountainHi has much to be proud of
When dealing with bug type critters, it is imperative totally disrupt the life cycle and make sure any eggs that hatch later never make it to reproductive age.

No pest strips need to be left in the area long enough to get ALL the lil bastards. same idea for thrips, but No Pest Strips will not even bother thrips. As said above. Spinosad is the weapon of choice.

note- Spinosad is available at many garden supply stores under the name Fertilome cut worm ..........
Surely you're not happy now you no longer play the game

People say I'm lazy dreaming my life away
Well they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me
When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall
Don't you miss the big time boy you're no longer on the ball

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
I really love to watch them roll
No longer riding on the merry-go-round
I just had to let it go.

John Lennon 10/09/1940 - 12/08/1980
RockyMountainHi jest offline   Quote

Old 11-28-2008, 08:13 PM   #9
RockyMountainHi

RockyMountainHi has much to be proud ofRockyMountainHi has much to be proud ofRockyMountainHi has much to be proud ofRockyMountainHi has much to be proud ofRockyMountainHi has much to be proud ofRockyMountainHi has much to be proud ofRockyMountainHi has much to be proud ofRockyMountainHi has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggywhompus
Dichlorvos....the active ingredient in no pest strips has a warning label longer than War and Peace.

No thanks.
Just because it has lots of words - ya still oughta READ them.

ok - that was uncool, True enough - it warrants due concideration and care, but.........

First and formost - it WORKS, whereas some other treatments can allow survivors to form immunities - thus the name "Borg". And a spider mite with immunities is nothing to sneeze at.

It also has a half life of 3 days in a low humidity enviorment - less with more moisture. So even during a normal drying, and cure, the residual would be irrelevent compared to breathing air in most urban cities.

I'd avoid use late in flower, but then I'm just kinda picky. I suspect it would be fully degraded after 30+ days of dry and cure even if in use at harvest. An additional couple weeks can't be a bad thing.

I've been looking for Floromite for awhile, but with no mite outbreak in my garden - at this time it's not a priority.

I just had to let it go.

Last edited by RockyMountainHi; 11-28-2008 at 08:34 PM..

Old 11-28-2008, 10:43 PM   #10
minds_I
Mufflover Extraordinaire

minds_I has a reputation beyond reputeminds_I has a reputation beyond reputeminds_I has a reputation beyond reputeminds_I has a reputation beyond reputeminds_I has a reputation beyond reputeminds_I has a reputation beyond reputeminds_I has a reputation beyond reputeminds_I has a reputation beyond reputeminds_I has a reputation beyond reputeminds_I has a reputation beyond reputeminds_I has a reputation beyond repute
Hello all,

I have used NPS on thrips with success.....maybe.

I used mine for 14 days and the thrips were gone.

about a month later I noticed that the leaves were starting to show signs of thrips again.

So, it was 4 weeks from removal to seeing signs of thrips...Now it could be from a "re-infection" or they were never gone to begin with.

Anyway, I went and purchased some spinosad and have not seen them since.

Anyway, my point is that NPS at least knocks thrips down.

Perhaps with an application of spinosad in conjunction would be in order.

minds_I

PS: I also think that the relative success with NPS is the concentration...my box is small and the shed they are in is sealed and small so, one new strip in in the box and one in the shed. I disconnect the carbon filter as this will indeed filter the declorvos from the air and thus reducing the effect.

I hope that all that do use them know that the CF will substancially reduce the effective of the NPS.
"And it's agreed that there's a need to play the game and to win again"
"Here's to cigarettes, whisky and wild wild women"
"Sometimes, it is more pleasing to want a thing then to have it."
"Patriotism is more closely linked to dissent than it is to conformity and a blind desire for safety and security.
"Teach the children quietly for someday sons and daughters will rise up and fight where we stood still"
"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. T, Jefferson"
"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ~ Tim Minchin

Last edited by minds_I; 11-28-2008 at 10:52 PM..
minds_I jest online   Quote

Old 12-05-2008, 06:30 PM   #11
InjectTruth
Civilly Disobedient

InjectTruth has much to be proud ofInjectTruth has much to be proud ofInjectTruth has much to be proud ofInjectTruth has much to be proud ofInjectTruth has much to be proud ofInjectTruth has much to be proud ofInjectTruth has much to be proud ofInjectTruth has much to be proud ofInjectTruth has much to be proud ofInjectTruth has much to be proud of
Thought I should mention, these No Pest Strips should not be used where people live for more than 4 hours a day. They are meant for attics, garages, houseboats, and cabins, WHEN YOU ARE NOT THERE!

With that said, I have found that these things work wonders. But I wouldnt put them in a grow I lived with.

I dont think enough people here realize you shouldnt be in the same room with these things, they kill everything, even people (just not as fast).

This has been a Public Service Announcement
InjectTruth jest offline   Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:14 PM   #12
otherwhitemeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjectTruth
With that said, I have found that these things work wonders. But I wouldnt put them in a grow I lived with.

I have to agree with you here, InjectTruth....from their own website:

"Advanced technology kills flying AND crawling insects with an odorless vapor"

Source:
http://www.hotshotbrand.com/ProductC...s/NoPestStrip/

Odorless vapors in my growroom? Ewww...While they may not be quite as effective, I would use 'no-poison' sticky traps and fly strips ONLY!

Old 12-09-2008, 11:43 AM   #13
RockyMountainHi

Quote:
Originally Posted by otherwhitemeat
Odorless vapors in my growroom? Ewww...While they may not be quite as effective, I would use 'no-poison' sticky traps and fly strips ONLY!

And I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that you have never had a spidermite infestation.

And when you do - you will be seeing them for a LONG, LONG time.

I just had to let it go.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:11 PM   #14