What's new

Container composting???

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Anybody having good results composting in Rubbermaid type bins?
I would like to make some compost but outdoor piles and such are not possible.I also do not want to drop 300-500$ on a rotating drum thing. So I just wanted to use a RM tub in my garage.
How might this work out?
Any suggestions?

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
rubbermaids are best suited for wormbins, BUT ive composted in them before normally with the quick return compost activator (which is homemade btw) and had good results. but for the long term a wormbin would be the best and cleanest with less hassle, for the cheapest a normal compost "bin" will dbe best. just make sure you carbon to nitrogen ratio is close to 30:1. ( carbon:nitrogen)

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
I want to be able to take leaves and rootballs and such and be able to process them back into the soil.I think it may be way too much all at once for a worm bin.
I cannot have a traditional outdoor compost pile.
Or really anything outdoors.
I guess I need to know what I need to do to make approx. a 40 gal tub work, if it is workable, or a waste of time?
BTW, Carbon to Nitrogen ratio, is that by weight or volume????
Thanks,
SD :joint:

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
well along with the leaves, im assuming the leftover from harvest, they would be greens. you would need carbon sources to go with that. the c/n ratio is by volume not weight as different materials weigh more than others depending on the amount of moisture in them. if i were you i would start with layers of browns and greens, then mix once a week to aerate. but personally i would use the activator mentioned above and skip mixing it all together.

J

JackTheGrower

I welcome any tumbler / bin posts to be added to the compost tumbler thread.

having them all in that thread may help someone find both store bought or home made tumblers in future searches.

Jack

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
jaykush said:
well along with the leaves, im assuming the leftover from harvest, they would be greens. you would need carbon sources to go with that. the c/n ratio is by volume not weight as different materials weigh more than others depending on the amount of moisture in them. if i were you i would start with layers of browns and greens, then mix once a week to aerate. but personally i would use the activator mentioned above and skip mixing it all together.
Thanks, JK.
I have run 4 searches, and cannot find the receipe for your activator.
Would you be so kind as to point me in the right direction?
Thanks!

JackTheGrower said:
Looked in there, but did not want to go off your topic, JTG.

SD :joint:

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i dont know if you searched here, but if you did you did in the wrong place. in google " quick return compost activator" leads to dozens and the first few all are related.

also its more of a book than a simple this and this type thing, so be prepared for some reading. but its good stuff!

but marali has got you covered luckily.

i would also recommend the lacto bacillus culture thread, which is here. great for composting.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
jaykush said:
i dont know if you searched here, but if you did you did in the wrong place. in google " quick return compost activator" leads to dozens and the first few all are related.

also its more of a book than a simple this and this type thing, so be prepared for some reading. but its good stuff!

but marali has got you covered luckily.

i would also recommend the lacto bacillus culture thread, which is here. great for composting.
Yeah, I searched here! :redface: