What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Some good advise to newbies

Blunt_69

the keeper of the creeper
Veteran
Here is some good advise. Invest heavily into your grow room and not on genetics.This is the classic mistake of new growers.

I read so many threads with people growing killer strains badly because their mindset is ,"well its killer genetics, it will yeild"...WRONG
..Anything genetic will yield fine if you stick it in the proper environment. As a beginner you need growing experience, why waste money on genetics when you cant grow effectively?? A decent setup costs $$$, and the $$$ will return ten fold once you learn the ins and outs of your system. Make no doubt about it, it is a system.When you learn that, results follow.

Creating the proper environment for your girls is not hard, it requires some brains and planning. The more thought you put in before you grow, the better your grow will be.

Start simple. You do not need to go spend hundreds of dollars on nutrients.Same theory applies as genetics from above. Start with GH line and the lucas formula, even well seasoned growers use this simple effective formula over and over again including myself. Invest your dollars into the environment.

Operating temps is your single biggest enemy in an indoor space. Humidity/temp control is SUPER IMPORTANT. More important then nutrients, more important then genetics. Fresh air and movement inside your space also important. This means OVERKILL your intake and exhaust. If your going sealed environment, MAKE SURE the equipment your planning on using will cool your space effectively.Co2 only becomes a factor when you master ever thing else, so dont waste your time or money until that point.To run Co2 properly costs $$$. any of the other BS CO2 methods are a joke, they WONT HELP your crop.Black mold growing in houses you see on TV is a direct result of idiocy.Dont be that idiot.

Next up, and plays a key role in environment is your source of light. Make no mistake. Nothing. but nothing beats the intensity and results output by HPS/MH bulbs. Ideally running both together gives you the best range of wavelength imitating the sun.. Hortilux and sunmaster have combined the best of both worlds in the HPS and MH bulbs market. If your going 1-3 bulb setup, spending the extra on these hybrid bulbs is recommended. All this other bullshit information on LED/envirobulbs/CFL as a primary light source is FALSE. Don't get caught up in the hype. If you cant afford the power to run real bulbs, you cant afford to run your system.Thus you cant afford to grow effectively. 400W and even smaller wattages grows can yield huge at minimal cost if done correctly. The proof is here at ICMAG. Look for it.

Last up and also important is security. MAKE SURE your ass is covered with smell control and stealth of the system within any location. Allot of growers are busted because they are to stupid to realize that the smell they are very used to, is a HUGE security problem. PEOPLE WILL NOTICE. Carbon filters and other types of odor control should be invested in immediately.BASIC ENVIRONMENT CONTROL IS YOUR KEY TO SUCCESS. Then... only then.... start spending $$$ on upgraded genetics/nutrients/advanced environment.

Last edited:

maryj315

Nice one Blunt 69

I spent way to much on nutrients i threw most of them away because i wound up using pbp instead

As far as genetics i did alright i bought a pack of sour diesel and a 12 pack of nirvana i waited until i was finished with the nirvana beans then i popped the sour diesels good i thing i did to a lot of those beans did not make it

Question about the points of light i have 2 1000 watts one is a switchable how would you go about distributing the points of light in my system?

What would be your routine light rail, conversion bulbs, or alternate the plants which i really do not want to do

Rep+

Mj

Blunt_69

Veteran
Question about the points of light i have 2 1000 watts one is a switchable how would you go about distributing the points of light in my system?

In the case of one MH one HPS. You are looking for mixture of spectrum so unless you have 4 bulbs staggered as a minimum I would put them very close to each other, or rail each light so the garden recieves both spectrums equally.
My personal opinion is that overkill is always better. So if you are having light distibution issues in you space, add more lights.OR. Scale back your space and focus on growing less plants more efficiently. Done by means of pruning/training techniques, adding Co2 to a sealed enviroment, growing in advanced growing mediums/hydro.

Last edited:

maryj315

Blunt_69 said:
In the case of one MH one HPS. You are looking for mixture of spectrum so unless you have 4 bulbs staggered as a minimum I would put them very close to each other, or rail each light so the garden recieves both spectrums equally.

This is what i am focusing on improving i should have asked with a little more clarity

My space is 4x8 i guess i will have to switch the plants from one side to the other once a week

Thank you Blunt

Mj

Jedi

"Madam, Miss Otis regrets, she's unable to lunch t
ICMag Donor
In case money is an option..

I always saw myself(us) as DIY persons

You know....ppl who refuse to pay high prices on the street for some smoke and calm..
If anybody else can do it , I can do i better kinda attitude...

I can only speak for myself....U dont need to spend huge amounts of cash to grow good weed..

practice on some bagseed , get the basics sorted like ,temprature/light/moisture and improve from there...
I like experimenting with different systems /soils/ cloning methods....

,but before i attempt anything new , I always have a backup of the old tried and tested method to fall back on , in case something goes wrong

I still make mistakes from week to week , but i always have something to fall back on

GrüneErd

i can't agree with both blunt and jedi more, right on guys. i myself have wasted a pack or two of beans to the learning experience, money that would've been MUCH better spent on my growing equipment.

two packs, at about $70 apiece...this saved money would've gone pretty damn far seeing as how im a DIY person as well and stretch every cent (sometimes with skepticism on what im buying).

bein in the south, and having hundreds of reggie (schwag) seeds ive always just saved up you would've thought i'da been smart enough to just use those :bashhead: ...DO IT KIDS, practice with schwag/bagseed, sometimes it's a great plant anyways. :joint:

though i stretch every cent, its important to know that its much more efficient (money-wise) to throw down big bucks for a product thats worth it rather than try to go the cheap way and end up having to buy it in the end anyways. dont waste your time and money, always look up a product on icmag first before buyin it IMO.
peace

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
I'll agree with your general theory but, not with the specifics on lights. While light is not the place to scrimp, there are folks here doing great grows without the use of HPS or MH and for much smaller wattages than 400. My 250 CMH gave me nearly a year's worth of weed from a single plant.

Rudedewd

As far as genetics go I am a big fan of cheap beans. The one thing that "store bought" seeds have over bagseed is that they are a somewhat known factor whereas bagseed are complete mystery. I've gotten some pretty nice seeds in the past in the $20-$25 a pack price range. I like growing bagseed sometime and following the mystery but if you're just starting out it's nice to know what you are growing.

As far as odor control it is VERY important especially with some strains. I grew in the same apartment for 20 years with no odor control and I was very used to the smell so I never realized just how funky things were getting especially when I started growing too many chem ds which is a very funky goil. After getting away with it for so long I was also getting a lil too cocky but when I came home last year and two cruisers were parked in front of my place I realized I should have been paying closer attention, lol. Luckily I got off with just a slap on the wrist and the loss of my equipment and quite a bit of good weed, all my moms and all my pipes and bongs. Shit, I guess it was more than a slap, lol, but as far as legal repercussions I just got summoned for misdemeanor possession and that was continued without a finding for a year and then dismissed. I think what really went in my favor is that I'm just a poor old fart with no criminal record except for a dui in 1978. One thing I know is it that it could have been alot worse. Lesson learned though, you can never run too tight a ship.

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
My first few grows cost me nothing

I was given a hid light and another friend set me up with some genetics. I made a lot of mistakes along the way, then I read and read and read. ICmag is a great resource. If you have ever wondered something, it has probably been talked about. This thread is a great example. You do need to get top notch genetics to get top notch bud.

The genetics are a small part of the equation, your environment is the bigger part. Some of my best yielders have been mistakes, or crazy unintentional crosses.
I feel bad for peeps ( the noobs) that go out and buy 200 dollar plus packs of seeds, to kill them within a week.
Any noob should be starting, with the cheapest they can, that way their mistakes stay cheap. And they can learn along the way.

GREAT THREAD

HairlessCaveApe

Yea. Everyting Blunt said! Cept fer one thing. Get a pak of cheep seeds from a Breader. Just so ya know what its suposed to be doin. A nubie dont need to be askin himself "Is it done yet?" You should at least go in knowing the flower time of what your growin. Itl help ya long the way. It'l at least give ya a slight guideline.

Bob Jones

I sure agree with the point about not spending all your money on nutrients. The fertilizer ads make people think that you need all that to grow. I grow outdoors in the summer and use a trace mineral mix, a bag of lime and a bag of 16-16-16. Average a pound per plant of good smoke.

One other bit of advice, buy the best ballast you can. Ballasts can be a real fire hazard and that's the last thing you need. Buy a good one and replace it if it gets flaky in any way or after 5 years or so of use, it will help you sleep much more soundly at night. Don't skimp on wiring, don't do anything half-ass that can lead to a fire and the discovery of your garden. If you're smart, don't brag and use a little common sense, the only way you're ever going to get busted is because of a fire.

Snagglepuss

even
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The most important thing i learned that made all the difference in the world with my trial and error was temperature ..If you can keep your environment the right temperature 75-85 .I never go above 80 anymore.And don't overwater/overfeed..Getting nice plants,and great yields doesn't seem that difficult.

Wrong temps (HOT) you get poor yield,airy buds,stunted plants ,no crystals ...and a HUGE waste of time..

Last edited:

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
Some nice advice, but I disagree that the info on CFL and the results achieved being false. I have used nothing else and have exceptional results. I have had more successes than failures. As a new and even experienced grower, status on a message board is nothing to worry about. What really counts is how happy you are with the results of your efforts.

The best advice I can offer is security. Don't brag to your friends, keep the computer files clean and don't grow more plants than the laws allow.

spangles

All great advice, thanks again Blunt69, for all your work. One thing I'll say, just to be contrary. I've been at it for around 5 yrs. and although all my experiences so far have been sub par by far (airy buds mostly because renting a room reduced ventilation solutions) , I'll tell you THIS, all of it has been the best adventure of all!.. I may always have airy buds, but the fact I grew it makes alllll the difference. I love this hobby and this community.

Blunt_69

Veteran
lol......yes I knew i'd get some dissagreement with my statements!! Well it's all fine and dandy if you want to mess around with CFL, florus, LED.. not saying that at all. I understand not everyone is growing for maximum output, Or thier own enviroment wont allow useage of specific equipment.

This thread specifically aimed at anyone wanting maximum efficiency from thier grows also provide solid start up information. Nothing light wise on the market even comes close to the intensity output by the, oh natural sun. Lighting is simple. If your serious about getting the heavy danky, HPS and MH is the strong starting point for your enviroment.

CFL and florous are perfect for vegging with and for raising moms.. Ive seen many grows producing some very nice results .. Your just not gonna break any wieght records using them.

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
Fair enough. I agree that more intense light within the proper spectrum will provide superior results.

My personal best is 6-8 ounces. I'll let you know when it's broken...

Blunt_69

Veteran
Thats great for CFL's! Keep up the great work! The reason some of you guys can yeild so well is enviroment related, your space is optimized. A friend of mine has a very sweet very large(expensive) setup.. true areoponics..His room is a perfect room(sealed). Chiller, large AC unit, dehumidifer, C02 burner...advanced logic controllers.blah blah blah... He grows big buds.. My setups is a baby compared to his, as your is to mine, but we are all following a key rule that new guys dont understand. Enviroment is HUGE important.

Blunt_69 said:
Operating temps is your single biggest enemy in an indoor space. Humidity/temp control is SUPER IMPORTANT. More important then nutrients, more important then genetics. Fresh air and movement inside your space also important. This means OVERKILL your intake and exhaust. If your going sealed enviroment, MAKE SURE the equipment your planning on using will cool your space effectivly.Co2 only becomes a factor when you master everthing else, so dont waste your time or money untill that point.To run Co2 properly costs $$$. any of the other BS CO2 methods are a joke, they WONT HELP your crop.Black mold growing in houses you see on TV is a direct result of idiotcy.Dont be that idiot.

What causes black mold??

hoodini

Hey blunt, been thinking about buying one of those dual spectrum HPS bulbs for my 1k ballast. Do you recommend them or should I try and do a HPS and MH at the same time? Also my flower room is like 5x12 that is semi sealed. There are a couple gaps around the door and 6"x6" hole where I have a fan blowing in air from my basement. I also have another hole near the ceiling where I have my carbon filter blowing air out when room starts to smell. Is that enough ventilation or would I have better results if I were able to get fresh air from outside into my grow room. Sorry about the nube questions but worried I'm not getting max results.

Mackawber

Good Shit To Have

Good Shit To Have

Yeah, get the good equipment to CONTROL with.

400 watt CMH
Vortex fans for intake / exhaust
Thermistatic temp control TMP-1
swamp cooler / AC unit for the hot days
heater for the cool nights/days
Dehumidifier for late flowering

Cheap nutes---Alaska fish fertilizer from Home depot for $7 a quart good for veg stage.