What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

800 watt ebb and flow Master Kush and Maple Leaf Indica

MoleMcHenry

Hi friends!

It's been a while since I started a thread, so I wanted to share my new hydro setup with everyone. My last grow was with hempy buckets, and it didn't go so well. I got root rot and spider mites! So after cleaning the grow space and getting some floramite, I got another grow going with an all new ebb and flow hydro setup in my homebox L (39"x39").

Inside the tent is an American hydro 3x3 table and a botanicare 40 gallon reservoir. For lighting I have 2 htgsupply 400 watt hps ballasts and 2 batwing reflectors. One side is running a CMH bulb and the other side is running an HPS bulb. For ventilation, I have a 250 cfm inline fan and carbon scrubber along with a 6" fan and passive intake vents. The homebox is located in my apartment bedroom, which stays 65-70F. I think the canopy temp stays in the low-mid 80s. The 40 gallon res keeps PH nice pretty stable, too.

The girls are in 6 inch square pots filled with dyna-rok. The nutes are floranova, floralicious plus, and hydroguard.

The genetics are all from seed: 3 feminized dp master kush and 8 sensi maple leaf indica. They were put into 12/12 on 10/04/08 and so are 16 days or so into flowering. They didn't get the second light until a few days ago, so they stretched a little, but nothing terrible. Right after that I pruned most of the lower growth to get a more even canopy.

Here's a maple leaf indica.

The next 3 are a master kush.

All questions and comments are welcome, and I'd especially love to see any dp master kush or sensi maple leaf pics you may have. There aren't enough on ICMag!

Last edited:

Tonatiuh

its me Dave man open up the door...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i'll tag up and be the one in the first seat.nice setup there maing im interested in kearnin ebb and flow so i guess this will be where i start checkin it out.peace

MoleMcHenry

Hey Tonatiuh - Thanks for stopping by. Yeah, ebb and flow is the shiznit. It is really, really easy and hard to screw up.

Jansjukebox

Hay Mole...Nice garden you have going there..I'm interested in that Mapleleaf Indica. I want to give it a try in the near future. Do you have an temp problems with both those 400w's going in that small space? I barley keep mine in range with 1 400...lol Anyway, look forward to seeing more!!

MoleMcHenry

Hey Jansjukebox - So far, temps have not been much of a problem. I had some very minor light burn on some leaves under the hps, so I raised it a couple inches and haven't had that problem again. I couldn't run 2 400 watt lamps in the heat of the summer, but now that it's cool at night, I can manage the heat if I keep my bedroom window cracked and the fan on high. I try to keep the room at about 65-68,but it varies a bit.

Jansjukebox

I understand. I am now running a constant in my chamber with the window closed...lol I don't run summer at all because of the heat. My partner won't let me take our only window air conditioner and run it for my weed plants...lol

MoleMcHenry

Summer is great for a lot of things, but indoor growing ain't one of them! Gotta give you respect for respecting your partner's wishes, though.

Tonatiuh

ICMag Donor
Veteran
so here i go ...might as well start blastin you with questions early LOL...
how often is it necesarry to check ur ppm?i dont have a ppm meter...
i do have a ph pen..whats the best ph for ebb and flow? is it 6.5?
i make my water mix for soiless medium at 5.8 after nutes but i know its different in water systems right?

also what nutes do you use?i was gonna use an's sensi pro stuff but i cant find it here,
from what i see its only available in canada,i can find all thier other stuff but not the sensi pro:(

anyways thanks..peace
btw this is the setup im getting,im gonna pick it up today.

viewimage.asp

peace

Last edited:

Jansjukebox

MoleMcHenry said:
Summer is great for a lot of things, but indoor growing ain't one of them! Gotta give you respect for respecting your partner's wishes, though.
Well, I feel lucky that I get to grow the rest of the year. My partner realizes the advantages of grow your own weed....The expence of buying it... the risk of buying it....and her having to put up with me if I run out...lol

C

Cozy Amnesia

I too am growing DP feminized MasterKush from seedling. Warning: they stretch A LOT the first couple weeks of flower.

These pics where only 14 days apart:

Also, I add epsom salts because they were a little magnesium thirsty. This strain is pretty damn quick too; they showed sex within 3 days (yeah they're femized, but still), roots are growing out of the top of the pot (growing in coco), and I've seen leaves with 11 points. The buds are really resinous and so far look really good. Good luck growing this strain! Just watch out because they're going to grow, a lot.

MoleMcHenry

Hey Tonatiuh:

how often is it necesarry to check ur ppm?
You should check PPM every time you check PH, every day or two.

i dont have a ppm meter...
You should get a cheap EC pen from sunstone herbals. I got one last year and its worked perfectly every time.

i do have a ph pen..whats the best ph for ebb and flow? is it 6.5?
PH for hydro setups should be roughly 5.2-6.2.

i make my water mix for soiless medium at 5.8 after nutes but i know its different in water systems right?
5.8 is a nice target.

also what nutes do you use?i was gonna use an's sensi pro stuff but i cant find it here,
from what i see its only available in canada,i can find all thier other stuff but not the sensi pro:(

I like GH Floranova nutes. I also use Floralicious Plus and some hydroguard. KISS is best, really.

Jansjukebox It's always nice to hear people who find happy mediums! BTW, that MK bud pic is quite nice. Mine aren't as big as yours yet, but they're trying... :joint:

Cozy Amnesia Nice Master Kush pictures! My 3 MK's stretched too. Luckily, the stretch is over and now we're starting to build some buds. So far, I haven't had any deficiencies except for some light nitrogen deficiency that is over now that I have the PPM's up to 920 PPM.

Keep sharing your MK pictures if you get the chance! It's nice to see what's coming up for me.

Cheers,
Mole

Last edited:

MoleMcHenry

A quick update!

I just topped off the res with a few gallons of PH'd nutes. When I finished, PPM was 830 and PH was 5.2.

Here's a bird's eye view of the left side of the cab under the HPS. You can also see how I used duct tape and string to hang my mylar. Kind of like a shower curtain! I stole the idea from someone here on ICmag, of course.:muahaha:

The next 3 are all a MLI I pulled out for a pic. Nothing much going on yet. Those big MLI fan leaves can be seen in the last one.

Here's a gorgeous MK girl. She's starting to give off a fruity smell when I rub her leaves. These MK are turning out to be very vigorous and quick budding. And they're still stretching a little. I left town from Friday and when I returned Monday they were easily an inch taller. I'm crossing my fingers for a purple one!

Finally, here are 2 shots of leaves from branches I just pruned.

Thanks for dropping in and happy growing!
Mole

Last edited:
Looking good Mole! my 3x3 maxed out at 600 watts with a remote digi AND a Dayton 176cfm blower! I had to expand before i got any bigger! Impressive set up yo! My setup was in the hottest part of the house too though!

MoleMcHenry

Thanks for the compliment Navigator330! :wave:

Your setup sounds nice. I wish I had the extra light penetration of a 600, but can't afford one yet. Gotta harvest this stuff first! Do you have a thread?

Hi Mole, really nice looking plants here, what made you choose the Master Kush? Do any of your plants have thin fingered leaves all over? I grew one out that had big fat leaves, and one that only had spread out, longer sativa-like fingers, although I thought it was going to be very indica dominant.

I hope it's ok to post a few pics, be happy to remove them if you'd like!

Keep up the good work :)

BttL

Tonatiuh

ICMag Donor
Veteran
lookin good my man i beeb bak here poppin corn :lurk: the grow is lookin splendid bro.
keep on pimpin ,the structure is really starting to be full and tight.peace maing.-T-

MoleMcHenry

BackToTheLab said:
Hi Mole, really nice looking plants here, what made you choose the Master Kush? Do any of your plants have thin fingered leaves all over? I grew one out that had big fat leaves, and one that only had spread out, longer sativa-like fingers, although I thought it was going to be very indica dominant.

I hope it's ok to post a few pics, be happy to remove them if you'd like!

Keep up the good work :)

BttL

BackToTheLab - Of course you can post pics! I love those MK pics! I chose DP MK because I wanted some Kush genetics, and it's made from two Hindu Kush strains, not mixed with a skunk like Nirvana's. As for the leaves,

I think they are kinda long and thin like sativas--and they're also the tallest plants in my cab right now! But even full-blooded indicas can be tall and have think leaves, I guess. :rasta:

MoleMcHenry

Tonatiuh said:
lookin good my man i beeb bak here poppin corn :lurk: the grow is lookin splendid bro.
keep on pimpin ,the structure is really starting to be full and tight.peace maing.-T-

Thanks for dropping in, Tonatiuh. Yeah, I think they're starting to fill in nicely, too.

MoleMcHenry

A quick pic update from the cab--these pics are from 11/12/08, so about 35 days or so of flowering.

And here's what's coming up next: 20 S----ie's Jackberry F2 from seed. Jackberry's parents are Blueberry and Jack Herer. I started these seeds in the pitpots and the mychorrizal fungi that S---ie ships the seeds with. These Jackberry seeds were very small, but using his pitpots and myco, I got 100% germination. After they popped I put them in party cups with B'cuzz coco and watered them with some PH 5.8 water and a couple drops of floralicious plus. These pics were all taken tonight.

I'm really hoping I find a quick-flowering purple mom with high yields and a nice buzz.