Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Grow It! > Growers Forums > What is the scoop with sm-90?

Thread Title Search    
Click to download IC Magazine Issue #5
 What is the scoop with sm-90? Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2008, 11:40 PM   #1
dongle69

What is the scoop with sm-90?

So sm-90 was recommended to me for control of fungus gnats, root stimulation, and more.
I picked up a bottle (legal again in Cali) and noticed it says nothing of the uses I have heard about.
It is being sold as a wetting agent according to the label.
Ingredients:
1% coriander oil
94% sulphonated canola oil solution
5% triethanolamine

What is the deal?
Does it really get rid of fungus gnats? (if it does, how much to use if I hand water coco?)
Does it screw with enzyme products? (I saw an inconclusive thread about using it with cannazym).
Does it enhance roots?

Old 10-09-2008, 11:53 PM   #2
dongle69

OK so I called the company that makes it and they said the label is vague because of the red tape involved by mentioning pesticide use in California.
They are going to call me back tomorrow regarding if it OK to use with cannazym/hygrozyme.
The person I talked to said they were 99% sure it wouldn't kill any beneficial bacteria or enzymes.
We will see...

Old 10-10-2008, 12:26 AM   #3
FreezerBoy
Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training

FreezerBoy is a survivorFreezerBoy is a survivorFreezerBoy is a survivorFreezerBoy is a survivorFreezerBoy is a survivorFreezerBoy is a survivorFreezerBoy is a survivorFreezerBoy is a survivorFreezerBoy is a survivorFreezerBoy is a survivorFreezerBoy is a survivor
Get back to us on that one. I haven't had use for it but, had decided it would be better for me than Hydrogaurd as I don't do the bacterial thing. I thought the point of SM-90 was, it killed everything except the plant itself.
FreezerBoy jest offline   Quote

Old 10-10-2008, 12:39 AM   #4
humble1
a.k.a. X-pert Dreamer

humble1 has much to be proud ofhumble1 has much to be proud ofhumble1 has much to be proud ofhumble1 has much to be proud ofhumble1 has much to be proud ofhumble1 has much to be proud ofhumble1 has much to be proud ofhumble1 has much to be proud ofhumble1 has much to be proud of
scope the 'ethanol'
in triethanolamine
i took biology, not chemistry, but three ethanols in an amine group sounds deadly
at least as far as any practical bacteria or myco
enzymes are a different story, methinks
2-3 ml/gallon as a drench with or without nutrient
5 to 1 H2O/SM-90 ratio for a spray
i'd run the enzymes without it, just to be on the safe side.....
"Stealth Hamsters don't exist, do they?"
humble1 jest offline   Quote

Old 10-10-2008, 01:16 AM   #5
C6H6

C6H6 will become famous soon enough
theres not concern for it being hazardous expecially at 5% by volume. google MSDS Triethanolamine, that will fetch the Materials Saftey Data Sheet for this compound and its pretty benign, though all bets are off it you decided to drink it.
as far as its function id say that it probably has to do with Ph stabilization of some kind judging from the 3 exposed OH groups on the ethanol groups, which will freely donate a hydrogen atom. im willing to bet that it was added because one or more of the other ingredanse is more basic and the TEA(triethanolamine) is used to counter act bringing the Ph back ot neutral. why not use some other chemical to stabilize the Ph other then TEA? well because its an amine that means that there is a nitrogen present and in this case the Nitrogen is located directly in the center with the three ethanol groups shooting out from it. nitrogen is very happy with three single bonds and wants to remaine that way. so in commercial application that means that the compound, wont degrade creating unwanted by products and possiable unwanted interactions (ie killing your plant) and #2 its stable and inert. it wont interact because all the atoms present are happy and want to remaine that way.
Enginiere
Im good with math
C6H6 jest offline   Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:18 AM   #6
grobart

grobart is on a distinguished road
SM-90

I got a "D" in chemistry in college. My idiot advisor suggested I take it again the next semester so that my second grade would replace the first for my gpa calculation. I got an "F" the second time around. Needless to say, my chemistry book had the misfortune of replacing a target for expansion testing .223 hollow points. I am now a lawyer in California - shows what state school advisors know.

Basically, that is a long winded way of saying I don't know what the hell all of that OH and ethanol and amine crap is.

All I know is that I use SM-90 in a modified DWC with every single res change. It works just like Hydrogen peroxide, without the burning foaming death that Hydrogen peroxide brings.

The first time I used SM-90, I noticed a near instant (<24 hrs) increase in the health of my roots. It eliminated some of the little flying bastards that were camped out around the base of the plant as well as dead roots.

In addition to SM-90, I use FloraNova (bloom & grow - depending), Floralicious bloom, calmag +, pro-tekt silica, and once or twice during flowering Liquid KoolBloom.

I have never noticed an adverse reaction, either in smell, feel, pH, or overall look of the plants or roots with any combination of the above nutes with SM-90.

Bart
grobart jest offline   Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:41 AM   #7
Brastaman
Irie

Brastaman is a name known to allBrastaman is a name known to allBrastaman is a name known to allBrastaman is a name known to allBrastaman is a name known to allBrastaman is a name known to all
i've heard of it being used to help fight off Powdery Mildew as a foilar spray. I wouldn't spray the stuff on my buds but....
Brastaman jest offline   Quote

Old 10-10-2008, 06:35 AM   #8
sleepyrz

sleepyrz is on a distinguished road
i like the smell mmmmmmmmm

Old 10-10-2008, 06:23 PM   #9
dongle69

So I just got the scoop from Nutrilife (makers of sm-90).

SM-90 does not harm or kill beneficial bacteria or enzymes.

So products like Hygrozyme, Cannazym, and Hydroguard are good to go, as well as Mycorrhizal based products.

They said they ran tests so there you go...

Old 10-10-2008, 07:33 PM   #10
aligee

aligee is a splendid one to beholdaligee is a splendid one to beholdaligee is a splendid one to beholdaligee is a splendid one to beholdaligee is a splendid one to beholdaligee is a splendid one to beholdaligee is a splendid one to beholdaligee is a splendid one to behold
So is this sm -90 back on the shelf, in my part of cali there selling mm-2000 instead saying its the same different label, anyone else seen this?
aligee jest offline   Quote

Old 10-10-2008, 08:05 PM   #11
ksac
Banned

ksac will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dongle69
So I just got the scoop from Nutrilife (makers of sm-90).

SM-90 does not harm or kill beneficial bacteria or enzymes.

So products like Hygrozyme, Cannazym, and Hydroguard are good to go, as well as Mycorrhizal based products.

They said they ran tests so there you go...
Strange, the place I get my SM-90 from has this on their website:

"NOTE: SM-90 will inhibit beneficial bacterial colonization. If you are trying to promote bacteria growth in your garden, this may not be a desirable additive."
ksac jest offline   Quote

Old 10-10-2008, 08:06 PM   #12
dongle69

Quote:
Originally Posted by aligee
So is this sm -90 back on the shelf, in my part of cali there selling mm-2000 instead saying its the same different label, anyone else seen this?
Yeah it is back on the shelves, but I had a store tell me the same thing because they didn't have the sm-90.
I don't think they are the same, but the link to the msds sheet is down on the Grotek site...

Old 10-10-2008, 08:08 PM   #13
dongle69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksac
Strange, the place I get my SM-90 from has this on their website:

"NOTE: SM-90 will inhibit beneficial bacterial colonization. If you are trying to promote bacteria growth in your garden, this may not be a desirable additive."

I guess they need to get the straight dope from the manufacturer instead of perpetuating a myth?

Old 10-10-2008, 08:13 PM   #14
ksac
Banned

ksac will become famous soon enough
Yes they do. I'm glad that you shared that information though. Good stuff.
ksac jest offline   Quote

Old 10-11-2008, 04:03 PM   #15
Fast_Pine
feelin thA heat....

Fast_Pine is a glorious beacon of lightFast_Pine is a glorious beacon of lightFast_Pine is a glorious beacon of lightFast_Pine is a glorious beacon of lightFast_Pine is a glorious beacon of lightFast_Pine is a glorious beacon of light
Im suprised that yall havent mentioned spider mites....in my oppinion THAT'S what SM-90 is for. Spider mite 90.

FP

..Grow Journals..

For whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap..
Galatians 6:7
Fast_Pine jest offline   Quote