What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Size does matter!

G

How long do you veg em for?

jrosek said:
Hey everyone!
Here's a little peak of how i do it these days...
After many years of trial and error i now use 25 1gal buckets in a 44"x44" area with a 600hps. results are pretty standard, I harvest just around 2lbs every 55 days. These little ladies were at 40 days flower in the pics.
My 2cents!

G

Thanks for getting back to me.... Looks amazing. What strain was it and was it soil?

D

DEDHEDFRED

Hey my buddy.......Jro may be new here but he ain`t new.....He also knows plant numbers dictate yield so ya`ll stand up and take notice........Plant numbers dictate yield......There.......I said it again.......The more you can trim and shape for maximum light penetration and airflow ,the more bottomline ........period.......

Gladta see yas back around Bro.........

Peace.......DHF...... :joint: .........

J

jrosek

DHF, Good to see you bro! Its been a long time.
I havent been on the boards lately, Been lurken in the shadows here at ic for a few months, Seems to be some good members, and nice to see some old buds!
you are absolutely correct about the trimming, I trim all of the fan leaves at 21 days flower and again at 45 days flower, This allows all the lower sight's to get maximum light. I'de have to say im a believer in maximum plant numbers for the maximum weight.
When growing with a 600,many small plants will get much better coverage than bush growing. Of course this is only my opinion and no offense intended to anyone.

JP, I use 65% perlite to 35% vermiculite.
The strain is some old bog bubbleicous that ive had longer than my kids!lol
Peace all, Jro

leap270

wow I never heard of trimming all the fan leafs. I only heard about triming the bottom. I may have to give it a go on one of my plants.

I've just started flowering my girls in 7.5 gal buckets. It'll be interesting to see what happens as I've only grown sog's in PB18's (like 2.5 gals I think) so I'll be keen to see. Do you have to veg the plant much much bigger or does simply having more space for the roots allow for bigger buds on a plant thats still only 3 or so feet high? I switched mine at 12-18 inches each.

D

DJXXPLATINUM

thanks again for answering some of my questions before i had to ask, hats off to jrosek those girls are fkn beautiful

J

jrosek

DJXXPLATINUM said:
thanks again for answering some of my questions before i had to ask, hats off to jrosek those girls are fkn beautiful
Thank you bro!
Not much action in this thread?? Where is everyone.........................

Brastaman

chef said:
Hey Brastaman :)
It is a lot of work, all the clones & changing out the beds is a pain, plus the number required = stiffer penalties in most places. Does Cali have the 10'x10' growing space & no plant limit? Santa Cruz here I come!
Add one 5 gal pot to your 3gal grow & see if you see any improvement?
Easy test ;)
QUOTE]

funny you mention that. I have a 3gal ogkush and a 1gal og kush going right now they are both about 2 feet. Same feed schedule. We will see.
I am not convinced on 5gal for the ogkush strain I run. It doesn't produce a lot of root mass in my medium......
I think the pot size and root mass is also determined by what kind of NUTES one uses and what kind of MEDIUM one uses.

For example, i've grown a 50-50 perlite to FFOF mix that produced quite a bit more root mass than growing the same strain with the same feed schedule, the same plant height and the root mass is smaller.
The same can be said about the type of nutes one uses, although it is a lot more difficult to keep records of this type of experiment, for me, i'm a stoner :joint:

Let's see if this makes sense, in the 50-50 mix there was less nutes available in the medium so I had to supplement for it and feed it more nutes overall, therefore more root mass?
The plants that were in un-cut FFOF grew faster in VEG. but the medium hardened in flower and was difficult to amend. which might of cut off oxygen BUT I fed less nutes overall, therefore less root mass?

I agree with JRO, i try to trim most of the fan leaves off by mid flower. This is my first attempt at bushes so we will see how it compares to previous 1gal harvest. In my 5'x4' room under a "G" watt i was filling with 36 1gal pots, with average plant height under 2 feet.

The more you can trim and shape for maximum light penetration and airflow ,the more bottomline ........period.......
What were your differences between bush and non-bush harvests? One could easily get more than your buddy's 2lbs in 55 days with less than half of the plant numbers.

brasta.

Last edited:
J

jrosek

Brastaman said:
What were your differences between bush and non-bush harvests? One could easily get more than your buddy's 2lbs in 55 days with less than half of the plant numbers.

brasta.
Brasta, Very interesting insight on some of your points.
I have found that with a mixture of 50/50 soil to perlite ( I used to use sunshine# 4) that the root mass was much larger in turn much stronger plants.
I believe this is due to much better ariation. I went soiless at the beginning of the year on an experiment and never went back.
It seems that with a soiless mix of per/verm, that a straight hydro feed program works extremely well with out the hydro system... Hence explosive root system and overall growth. Give it a shot some time, i think you'll like it!
I used to grow bushes as well, outside we used 20 gal containers and grew 3-4lb plants without trimming the fan leaves( if we only new!!)
inside, i used 4-5 gallon buckets and could average 6 zips per plants(4plants)
The most important thing i noticed about shorter multiple plants in 1gal is the penetration. with a 600, we had a difficult time getting the lower parts to finish up properly, we could superharvest but in all would waist an extra month in flower.
The smaller ones average around 15" and fully rippen under 60 days, wich is another benefit with smaller, It cuts a week off flowering with the same strain. Nothing like having the biggest and most potent buds with no scraps left over!
In my experience, i could never achieve 2lbs from bushes with 1 600hps, i would say it's very difficult to even get 1lb.
Anyways, Chime in people, Lets get some experience and knowledge put up here!
Here's a pic from an older outdoor grow, imagine if we would have pruned them! Live and learn!
Peace everyone, Jro

J

jrosek

Hey brasta,
While i was peepen your gallery i came across a stellar pic of a top of a plant.
here is the # in your gallery...
100_3812
I need to know more about this beauty! especially where i can get it!!!!

jrosec, I'm intrigued. Do you literally trim ALL of the fan leaves off at 21 and 45 days? Any pics of your procedure? What do the plants look like after trim?

Thanks for all the great info.

Best,

DM

M

mexilandrace

I grow with no more than 2 foot of vertical space and I mostly grow sativas, I can get identical yields with one gallon of soil as I can with 3 gallons of soil with most of my plants.

So I say the plants reaction to the pot size is all that matters, some don't care about being rootbound if you keep up with the feeding demands.

M

mexilandrace

I gotta disagree with trimming leaves, once the leaf is formed its only function is to take in the energy of the sun for the sole purpose of the well being of the plant.

Taking the leaves off is like taking the battery out of your car. I grow sog too, I don't trim leaves I just rotate the plants to maximize light exposure across the whole batch.

J

jrosek

Danger Mouse said:
jrosec, I'm intrigued. Do you literally trim ALL of the fan leaves off at 21 and 45 days? Any pics of your procedure? What do the plants look like after trim?

Thanks for all the great info.

Best,

DM
Danger, Im glad your interested, I must say i was shocked when i first heard of this procedure! Everything i knew and learned over 14yrs told me that it was insane to cut off all the fan leaves!
Low and behold, after a couple experiments, there is NO turning back!
After Long and carefull thought of why this works... I come to this conclusion:
1, The bud site itself grows small fan leaves that support the growth of the bud, Do not remove these, You can trim them if they are to large and shading other buds.
2, once the roots are established and the plant is healthy, the support of the large fan leaf is not necessary. I believe they are more essential for outside growth where the conditions are no perfect, watering feeding , ect...

Here is a pic of a set i did awhile back. if i remember correctly, i cut them off at 14 days. this seemed a little to early after it was all said and done, i now wait until 20 days or so to let some lower site's to establish.
I then trim again at day 40 or so to clear out some of the new growth that has accumulated.
A couple pics of some of some fully ripened at 56 days. this strain usually takes 65-68 in a bigger version!

I hope this helps! if you have any other Q's, shoot!
Thanks, Jro

Last edited: