What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Germination.. what methods do you use??

steppinRazor

cant stop wont stop
Veteran
I almost always toss the seeds in a ceramic mug fulla RO water and cover the top.. let'm sit for a couple days till they pop..

anyways just got some new strains and its been a cpl years since ive grown from seed..

just wanted to hear some others experience and methods that they use

thnx stay safe and grow on

luvtogrow

Same here, though usually just 24hrs., popped or not, don't want to drown them. Also, to speed up the process, like to make water tepid and keep in warm place.

steppinRazor

cant stop wont stop
Veteran
tepid eh?? interesting, i just go with room temp myself..

can you really drown the seeds by letting them sit in water for more than 24 hours??
ive never had a problem before and sometimes had to let them sit for up to 3 days to pop

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
I don't like letting seeds sit in water, just my personal preference. I keep it simple, take a ziploc bag, fold up an uncolored paper towel inside and fill the thing with water. Turn it upside-down, let it drain out, squeeze out a little of excess water, and throw the seeds in the middle of the paper towels. I put mine on top of my veg cab so it's a little warmer than room temp, if it's too hot you'll kill the seeds. If it's too cold it'll take longer.

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah I don't like a more-than-24-hour soak as well.

The only time I have ever lost a viable batch of seeds was from an accidental 3 day soak.

That said, when I used to throw seeds into my gravity bong, I would often find them popped many days later with long tap roots.. I felt like a mass murderer flushing them all down when I changed the water hehe.

I wonder if perhaps the agitation from taking bong rips or the relatively large volume of water was leaving more oxygen available than in a cup or something though, helping them survive.

Anyways, to speak on the original topic, I currently do a 24 hour soak in RO water, then into cups of coco.

Something a bit unique that I do though.. I put a ziplock baggie over each cup until I see them break the surface, then cut off a corner to reduce the humidity, then take off the bag entirely about 24 hours later. A dome would be a little easier, but I prefer to get the seedlings used to normal humidity as soon as they are born and not make some wait 1-3 days for their brothers and sisters and get used to the high humidity.

Having them out in the open and in a light breeze right away makes for better initial development in my opinion.

steppinRazor

cant stop wont stop
Veteran
right on guys, thnx for postin the way you do things.. good stuff

so what im getting is allot of you will only soak for 24 hours reguardless of whether they popped or not?

JOE CHRONIC

I use a dinner plate with a couple paper towels soaked in water with the seeds between the two paper towels.in a dark closet.
Keep the paper towels wet and keep in a 60-90 degree temps.

~CH9~

ICMag Donor
Veteran
coffee filters are great inside a ziplock bag,it won't damage young roots while picking them...

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Here's a novel idea: Try planting them. The only thing a soak, paper towel or coffee filter will do for you that planting won't is expose your seed(s) to mold, fungus, root breakage and death. Planting avoids all that, works faster, and leaves the future sprout in it's final home from the beginning.

steppinRazor

cant stop wont stop
Veteran
FreezerBoy said:
Here's a novel idea: Try planting them. The only thing a soak, paper towel or coffee filter will do for you that planting won't is expose your seed(s) to mold, fungus, root breakage and death. Planting avoids all that, works faster, and leaves the future sprout in it's final home from the beginning.

thats a good call but not my style.. and actually i really want to see how many pop open before i put them in soil.. the reasoning behind this is that my buddy has got half the seeds we ordered and did plant them directly in the soil but had a pretty nasty germination rate.. out of 15 only 9 popped... pretty shitty IMO so i want to see if its the seeds themself of just users error

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
I do the paper towel instead of planting directly for the same reason I like to use clear containers. It let's me keep track of progress at a very delicate stage of life for the plant.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
steppinRazor said:
i really want to see how many pop open before i put them in soil
This makes sense for the guy that found 1000 seeds from 30 years ago. For 15 seeds? Why work that hard to increase the chance of death?

H

Hazeseeker

I use wet paper towel method as well, put on a plate, another plate on top of that to create a dome then put inside the cupboard where the water boiler is, great temps and stays nice and humid 24/7 :joint:

chemman14

JOE CHRONIC said:
I use a dinner plate with a couple paper towels soaked in water with the seeds between the two paper towels.in a dark closet.
Keep the paper towels wet and keep in a 60-90 degree temps.
this is what i do :D

M

Mr Stinkweed

I do some buzzarro shit but I swear by it....

First I soak them in water for 12 not more than 24 hours....

Then I crack them all open with tweezers...

then into paper towels....

and when they are about 1/2 inch into soil....

buzzaro shit but I swear by it....

They pop immediately and if they dont they are gone....

some people wait weeks hoping for a sprout....

not me... if the root doesnt come out in 2 days its not going to....

angelsoffspring

ehh......I'm sorry but a seed is a seed. If it is meant to grow then it will. That being said: I do a 24 hr soak. The one's that float are the ones I plant, the one's that drown, I throw them out. Pop them 1/4 inch deep in pots with damp soil and saran wrap on top to lock the moisture in. I set the pots on a heating mat and spray inside the pot every day until the seeds sprout.

But to be honest, most of the time, I just skip the soak and go straight into soil. After all, a seed will grow.

steppinRazor

cant stop wont stop
Veteran
JOE CHRONIC said:
Ya I like to get that tap root about an inch long before it ever see's the soil...

Damn! an inch! thats a little too big for my liking but it really goes to show how many methods work.. its definately a resilient plant

Mr Stinkweed said:
I do some buzzarro shit but I swear by it....

First I soak them in water for 12 not more than 24 hours....

Then I crack them all open with tweezers...

then into paper towels....

and when they are about 1/2 inch into soil....

buzzaro shit but I swear by it....

They pop immediately and if they dont they are gone....

some people wait weeks hoping for a sprout....

not me... if the root doesnt come out in 2 days its not going to.....

huh pretty damn interesting.. the only time i have taken tweezers to a shell was when i had a seedling sprout and the shell was still attached.. gotta be real careful as they are delicate as hell in that stage