What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I need input

G

Another fucking hurricane. what the fuck??????
We only get the 60-80 mph winds not one fucking drop of rain. We are currently in another 1000 yr drought, our 4th in 9 years.

Thats one of the reasons I am so puzzled and hope others can offer some explanation for the following

The average daytime temps for the last 30 days has been between 85-90 degrees farenheit, with a wind of 10-15 mph and a relative humidity in the single digits.

Nightime temps drop less than 10 degrees and I havent seen a drop of dew since late june. The relative humidity at night has always been below 20% and is usallly arough 15%, with a hot wind.

My enviroment is crispy and crackling it is so extremely dry. Our leaves usally change and fall off starting the last week of Oct., but its so dry most trees have already lost their leaves.

In this desert wind enviroment totally devoid of clouds, moisture or cool temps

EVERY PLANT I HAVE IS COVERED WITH POWDERY MILDEW. THE ENTIRE ENVIROMENT IS COVERED WITH POWDERY MILDEW.

A 6' plant, recieving fuil sun/ sun up to sun down/ a hot 90 degree blistering sun accomanied by a desert dry wind
not a rain drop in 12 weeks or a drop of dew in 8 weeks.

Can anyone explain this to me?

Hindu Killer

Veteran
SB...good point Im seeing it run rampant threw my girls. Devastated the GC's I have. Id like to hear others in put. Next season I guess I ll be spraying the Greencure or simulair product. Hows the palnts..going to make it??

wisco61

just reading over some stuff I have an idea.

Powdery mildew develops quickly under favorable conditions because the length of time between infection and the appearance of symptoms is usually only 3-7 days and a large number of conidia can be produced in a short time. Favorable conditions include dense plant growth and low light intensity. High relative humidity (RH) is favorable for infection and conidial survival, but infection can take place at RH levels as low as 50%. Dry conditions are favorable for colonization, sporulation, and dispersal. Rain and free moisture on the plant surface are unfavorable, however, disease development occurs in both the presence or absence of dew. Infection can occur at 50-90°F; mean temperatures of 68-80°F are favorable. Powdery mildew development is arrested at daytime temperatures of 100°F or higher. Plants in the field are often not affected until after fruit initiation. The leaves are most susceptible 16-23 days after unfolding.

perhaps it formed a bit away in a real dense shady area and the dry conditions allowed it to spread more rapidly hitting your plants?

Propoline

Hi Silver,

in fact, the fungus's that are causing powdery mildew,don't need WATER for infecting the plant. But they need high relative humidity for germinating the spores. In worst case you should pick off all infected parts of plant, or

from wikipedia:
A mixture of one tablespoon Baking Soda, 2.5 tablespoons vegetable oil, and 4-5 drops of liquid soap added to a gallon of water will act as a fine, natural, and inexpensive fungicide (be sure to agitate spray bottle regularly while applying to keep the ingredients from separating).

^^^^ -If someone could confirm that would be great :)

Hope you'll solve the problem, it would be a shame to lost the plants

:wave: Propoline

G

Yeah HK, its everywhere. Ive never had a problem with PM. The green cure controls it, but i usually only use it in situations where I fear mould but Ive had to spray every plant I have and 2 weeks later, Im spraying again. I dont know.

Thanks for the info wisco and propoline. Wisco, the only place around here ive ever seen Pm is in deep shade, low lying areas. Im tellin you, the enviroment doesnt feel like Pm, it feels like drought.

Propoline, Greencure is potassium bicarbonate, which is really just super dooper baking soda with a good surfacant to keep it on the plant. Take a look:

http://www.planetgreenspot.com/GreenCure_organic_fungicide_p/gc8oz.htm

Its good stuff and i use it, its just that probably like you and most growers, I hope not to spray anthing on my smoke, even if it is organic. Sometimes though.....

Last edited:
V

vod

My guess would be that the drought has weakened the plants so much that they are easy prey for pm.

Last edited:
G

I considered that as well vod, the only propblem is that the stuff is even on these little seeded clones (crosses) Ive kept in the yard and have'nt suffered any stress at all that Im aware of.

Last edited:

zapatoloco

Powdery mildew proliferates in drought years. The life-cycle of PM requires a long period of dry to settle in and then a little moisture to bloom. Plants stressed by drought will be even more susceptible to the increased amount of spores in the air during times of high PM presence in the environment.

Bottom line is PM comes with dry weather and plant stress.

It sucks but you've got the green cure. Remember to cut all nitrogen as the PM likes nothing better than dark green nitrogen filled beautys.

Hope this helps

Fingaz2

Silver, I know you use An 34.5 or Urea prills, next time see if you cant get An with a little So2 Sulphur in em. Should take care of Powdery mildew. Air is cleaner these days, So2 came from Coal burning Power stations, acid rain was one fallout, the other is sulphur deficiency now showing in the majority of crops. Weak crops will fail to PM, you will see more & more of this.
Everyone the world over is being hit by freak weather, here we are getting a months rain in 12 hours. We had a years worth last year in a month.
What we need is a global weather thread with all the growers here to see whats goin down in the bigger picture.
cheers.

hamstring

Veteran
SB
Sorry to hear about the PM never had any but plenty of other mold thats for sure. Crazy weather for sure PM even on the plants in the yard thats not right.

Good luck SB has the Green Cure helped? Just F***ing hard to keep up with it going to all the plots every week to stay ahead of it sucks.

PEACE

Latest posts

Latest posts