What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2000 Year Old Seeds

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just a quick little thread with some interesting information. In my recent copy of Archaeology magazine...the Sept/Oct.2008 issue..there is an article about a find in Israel that has been quite significant. Here is the text as best I can type it...DD
Archaelogy Mag said:
Israel...An ancient date palm may be back from extinction. Scientists planted 2000 year-old seeds found at the hilltop fortress of Masada and one germinated-the oldest know seed to become a plant.It is different from modern spieces, so it may be a Judean datepalm, known in antiquety for the unique flavor and powerful medicinal properties of its fruit. Reasearchers named the plant Methuselah, after the Bible's oldest man.
So....let's all start the debate all over again of how long we can keep seeds in the freezer? No...let's not debate...just keep a freezer full like I do...Ha...enjoy...DD

Last edited:

RottenDawg

Hey DD. Maybe you can find and post the germination method they used. Would be quite helpful for those of us with seeds 15+ years old. Thanks friend. Peace...........RD

DangerP

Different species' seeds last different amounts of time. There are seeds that routinely wait decades to germinate, and others that are no good after a single year. The fact that a single extraordinary individual of a species of date tree was able to germinate after so long isn't really an indication that any other plant will do the same.

That said, there's no reason someone shouldn't try it. I'm thinking the best way to do it would be to get a 10 pack of seeds and plant a couple every 5 or 10 years. Every time you do get a plant take a good picture of it, and then over time you can compare the ones that made it. Who knows, you might end up growing out a strain 20 years from now that no longer exists. It would be the first time in a decade someone had smoked Super Silver Haze or something.

MOneYMiKe

Patriot Father 2a Defender /Breeder
Veteran
fwiw I got these from my mom....over 20 yrs old around 25 popped 1 germed and shes a female....great thread doobie.....................

.............Mm

dddaver

Veteran
Bumping an 11 year old thread. maybe not a record, but close. Good on ya.

"Cannabis is known to have been cultivated in eastern China at least 3,500 years ago, Spengler added. For more, go to “Satellites on the Silk Road.” SO cool.

Latest posts

Latest posts