What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Medium made out of Picea abies

Veggia farmer

Hello!

I have basically just grown in soil indoors and outdoors. But I had a request from a friend who works at a insulation factory. They have been playing around to try to make a new product, a medium made out of picea abies. It is shredded and looked like coco with a lighter color. I have no personally experience with coco, just friends grow and a household plant.

What you guess think about use this? I know pines are anti bacterial, not sure how that will react to organics.

I get it for free, may only tip his wife for using her husbands time lol

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
If it were good choice someone would have already used it. I wouldn't waste a good seed with it, but I might try to grow a Pepper in it.

troutman

Seed Whore
It would be for sure fairly acidic and that would have to be fixed before growing.
Lots of nitrogen will be tied up as it decomposes. So be ready to feed more.

:tiphat:

Veggia farmer

Have though about the decomposing, I grow mainly in beds so if I continue with this medium and beds its no run-off, so no waste in the long run.

Not sure the PH, he didnt have that for me. The thimber is scraped of the bark, then the remaing timber is cut in to a square before made in to plank. Its this outer stuff that is used, no bark.

I have ph water ffrom 7,45 to 7.9 so thats will naturally help for me.

Its a greenhouse " nearby" who uses it, hopefully i can see what they do later this summer.

Latest posts

Latest posts