What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hard to root mom

Veggia farmer

Ok, Will see what I will land on permant, sticking to chlorine for now.

Tried Air layering before, maybe I sound like a bitch but to take all those clones in that way is just to much work for me at the moment. Old school SOG.

Yes, the moody mom has given me some babies! Just not enough success rate for me to be satisfied with, and Im no idealist!

Tried also a variety of soils bought and native! The soil that here in now is a mix of peat potting soil and some native, with a lot of clay in it.

Will try to get some to root next week in a cloner.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
I'm glad! I didn't mean to sound like Debbie Downer, just offering an alt perspective!

BigPhil

Veteran
I read about hard 2 clone plants the other night. They made a mix of clonex with KY jelly and a few drops of water. Think it was 50% KY and rooting jell. They would then brush it on where they want to take the cutting from. But not take the cutting till root nubs was showing on mother plant.

BigPhil

Veteran
I taken these pics today of some clones I have going.

picture.php

picture.php

In my cloner I have 10 litre of water with 5ml hydroguard 5ml micro 6ml bloom ghe flora nutes. Dipped the cuttings I'm clonex as well.

To help premote root growth cut leaves in half and don't give them 2 much light. I have my propagatoer lip covered so they are in the shade. Bloom helps premote root growth as well. :headbange

Klompen

KY Jelly? Are you putting us on?

It is possible he is joking, but honestly it may actually be a very clever idea because KY was originally developed to be a biologically-inert surgical lubricant. Its probably a very excellent media for a cloning gel. Its even possible that commercial cloning gels are basically just powdered cloning hormone suspended or dissolved into a gel medium of some sort. I think I may really give this a try. This might be very useful for my air layering project.

Hopefull Stoner

hey dude i'll keep this as simple as possible and didn't bother to read all replies.
so, it doesn't like your normal cloning routine = it happens; so use various simple cloning methods until she shows a favorite. i said simple and don't forget to try the rooting powder made for hard to clone cuts . you problem isn't that they are woody but still wouldn't hurt to try that Hormex version.

regular cups of proper medium using 3 different types/ones. them use powder, gel and honey. slight;y scrape stem with razor blade just skim it don't cut into them. temps at 75/80 degs and humidty no more than 60%. stick cut in nestles spring water and cover change water as needed. leave the bigger leaves on just cut them back some.
if you have wilt proof you can spray before taking the cuts if you don't soak cuts in water. if u soak in water and set in fridge before sticking, wait to spay the wilt proof lightly after they are all stuck. use a flower nute 2 weeks before taking cuts.

the gel on the stems is a good idea imho. you'll see the bumps or not. then u know ur headed in the right direction. last idea is soak clones in a clone solution like OLIVIA'S which is tried and true by many. personally i've never had to use.

Maple_Flail

seems plausable..

I've cloned in gel that suspiously smelled like ky and cloning gel.. they worked out alright.. the product tho was severly marked up if thats all it actually was. came in little pudding cups and you could fit bout 9 cuttings in a cup, pull the clones once nibs started and into medium.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
seems plausable..

I've cloned in gel that suspiously smelled like ky and cloning gel.. they worked out alright.. the product tho was severly marked up if thats all it actually was. came in little pudding cups and you could fit bout 9 cuttings in a cup, pull the clones once nibs started and into medium.
It is plausible. I wonder if I could just mix some cloning powder into a dab of KY?

Maple_Flail

It is plausible. I wonder if I could just mix some cloning powder into a dab of KY?

i'd add a few drops of water... actually i'd run a double one with a few drops of water and one without.. see which work better and more evenly..

its been a dogs age since i've used rooting powder, gel just worked for me better.

Veggia farmer

Well, these cloners works like a charm hehe

this hard to root mom, LOL Teddy;), well, with this cloners and plain water, maybe a little high water temp and not the best branches still ok success! But I noticed that the roots look a little fragile to me. Hmm.. maybe just because they are soaked I dont now, never grown anything hydro style

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
ofc they are more fragile, those elongated roots contain much much more water, than those in soilmix, peat or perlite. transpiration rate is also faster

Nannymouse

420giveaway
I read that some folks put their cuts in the veggie crisper in the frig for a while to 'harden' them off before putting in any cloning medium. I think that they would dunk in mild bleach water and then dry the cuts and put in storage bags, before putting into the frig.

I've had hard to root clones go into a dark place that was slightly cooler than room temp and that worked, once. May try that with clone.

I also like the idea of air layering, first. Get those little roots going while mama is still taking care...weaning time!

Veggia farmer

Hehe, Its a new game to me mate. Just an observation, no complaining;)

jepp, I too have done the fridg thing sometimes. Can have them for weeks there, just keep an eye on too much humidity, at least in my cases. When I have done it I just snipp and into some boxes or bags. And occasionally open the box or bag to let out the excess humidity. Watch out for big bags they can get water in the bottom. Been there done that.