What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Growing Shrooms

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
nono, the suffering part with inoculation and spawn procedure can not be avoided,

i just asked, if there was only one step further with the cakes you have in hands right now, to make it crumble or sliced in equal pieces,
than you put a thin layer of vermiculte coco mixture (i can t tell exact ratio, because it must be adjusted how much time do you have daily to make a look on them,)

than you put the crunches of cake into a big plastic box like the one used for colonization and cover it evenly with the cocovermi in another 1-1.5 cm ,
than cover it and put it back to the colonization chamber for a week or two,
and you can put it into the fridge for a few days cold shock, or keep them in that state for a period, than start fruiting when you wish,

i used microwave to sterilize the wet mixture of casing, vermiculite plus coco coir, than added gypsum when it was cool enough to mix

G.O. Joe

Veteran
But for greatest potency it seems it's best to leave cubensis behind. Psilocybe azurescens supposedly is the most potent. But a whole other animal to grow. I enjoyed reading this:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science...rip-on-the-most-potent-magic-mushroom/561860/

Azurescens and cyanescens are maybe twice as potent, and do well outdoors in some places. Cyanescens grows on wood indoors if the environment can be provided, and mycelium can be kept alive in a fridge for a long time without contamination worries - but it tastes worse.

Years ago I camped at and explored the parks mentioned in the article looking for a spore print, and what was said is true about habitat and what it takes to find them. A whole fresh baby gives a buzz good for being in public without paranoia, driving, but maybe not while looking for more mushrooms. Everyone gave me that look that someone who is square and knows what you're up to would give.

Literally every local knows why people are walking there, and arrests started soon after publication of the discovery. Sketchy dude hiking alone has different optics with a dog on a leash. The article says maybe dogs seek to trip balls - a shroom detecting dog would be a great help finding these in the wild.

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
i see no problem in eating more cubensis :D
5 g of bone dry cubensis harvested at peak of psilocibin production
would put you into other dimension for sure.
if you ingest it with empty stomach of course
i see great differences in growing methods, time of harvesting drying and few other factors, which can make potency decrease ,,

Hookahhead

It’s rainy season where I am, and the local farms have fungi popping everywhere. There are about 10 different species of mushrooms growing, but only 2 are good. So you really have to know what you’re doing. The locals think I’m crazy, both for picking and consuming mushrooms growing in cow/horse shit haha. Knowledge is power!

Psilocybe cubensis
picture.php

picture.php

Panaeolus cyanescens
picture.php

picture.php

Pan cyans grow in the exact same substrate and environmental conditions as cubensis. They are smaller, but roughly 2-3x more potent, and often described as a “cleaner” trip with less body load. Here is a bowl of mostly Panaelous cyanescens with one lonely cube.

picture.php

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
Damn Hookahhead enjoy those fruits!!!! Those pan cans are going to provide one hell of a ride I bet!!!

My 2 cents.

Buy a pressure cooker. You don't need one, but it's worth the money.

A $90 presto produced lbs.

Learn to work with agar and bulk substrate asap.

Avoid kits. Better and cheaper to buy supplies separate.

Grow cubes(at first) they are much more forgiving.

Don't get hung up on variety, for the most part a cube is a cube.

There are exceptions ie penis envy. They are a bit trickier tho'.

Cleanliness is your friend.

I'd recommend a still air box, unless you're in it for the long haul, then I'd build a flow hood and maybe invest in a pressure cooker upgrade.

I never got into it as far as liquid culture , slants for storage or isolation work.

It was a great experience, but my heart wasn't into it (I didn't eat them) and it took time away from my cannabis grow.

I still have fully colonized petri's and feel awful not using them...

mexweed

Veteran
I have read before that when the veil fully opens/drops spores it hurts potency, it's better to harvest with round caps than opened flat ones, just as the veil is barely starting to tear

G

I am in the midst of a couple of experiments with a syringe of Lizard King liquid culture. Direct to wet cardboard, direct to cold pasteurized straw, and the Uncle Ben's tec that I mentioned in an earlier post.
I think my medium once I get spawn is going to be the pasteurized straw. Really easy and cheap to prep. Just a little hydrated lime in water and a 1+hour soak.
I'll chime in with my progress.

Grapefruitroop

OP i grew shrooms for a living for few years and everything i know i learned from shroomery.org

That forum is actually much more scientifically updated than all the mycologist books that are around nowadays...
Stamets info are dated and in some cases wrong.
There are some peeps there that their pratical knowledge can challenge the most qualified mycologist! no joke!
Check for Bodhisattva, hamloaf many more i dont remember...
Shroomery is an infinite well of knowledge and is much less ego/bullshit driven that any weed forum!

If you want to start the most important item is your Pressure Cooker...AllAmerican for sure...focus on that...the rest it will come slowly..
Also dont get intimitdated by agar works....its much more easy that what it looks...and is gona allow you to select, clean and clone quality genetics.

Attachments

• DSCN0317.jpg
    DSCN0317.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN0326.jpg
    DSCN0326.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN0329.jpg
    DSCN0329.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN0333.jpg
    DSCN0333.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 34

Chi13

ICMag Donor
After a 30 year hiatus from tripping, I grew some a few batches a few years ago with success. I have been thinking about doing it again.

I just did some tiny pf tek jars but worked a treat. Lots of little mushrooms.

I've already got a couple of tips from this thread. Been a bit intimidated by agar so far but must get my head around it.

As others have said, sterility is everything. Can be a pain in the arse, especially making syringes from prints, but so interesting once things start to grow. As rewarding to grow as cannabis in a very different way.

Stizo

Veteran
OP i grew shrooms for a living for few years and everything i know i learned from shroomery.org

That forum is actually much more scientifically updated than all the mycologist books that are around nowadays...
Stamets info are dated and in some cases wrong.
There are some peeps there that their pratical knowledge can challenge the most qualified mycologist! no joke!
Check for Bodhisattva, hamloaf many more i dont remember...
Shroomery is an infinite well of knowledge and is much less ego/bullshit driven that any weed forum!

If you want to start the most important item is your Pressure Cooker...AllAmerican for sure...focus on that...the rest it will come slowly..
Also dont get intimitdated by agar works....its much more easy that what it looks...and is gona allow you to select, clean and clone quality genetics.

Is that an old spiral tribe logo in your sig? That brought back some memories. Can see why you're in to shrooms if you liked spiral tribe.

Badfishy1

After a 30 year hiatus from tripping, I grew some a few batches a few years ago with success. I have been thinking about doing it again.

I just did some tiny pf tek jars but worked a treat. Lots of little mushrooms.

I've already got a couple of tips from this thread. Been a bit intimidated by agar so far but must get my head around it.

As others have said, sterility is everything. Can be a pain in the arse, especially making syringes from prints, but so interesting once things start to grow. As rewarding to grow as cannabis in a very different way.

If my 10 year old can work agar transfers of oysters, seems to me you too could work agar.

Bmac1

Veteran
That's the one. Its live now but I dont think I am ready for the plunge just yet. I need to do more reading.

Badfishy1

It’s rainy season where I am, and the local farms have fungi popping everywhere. There are about 10 different species of mushrooms growing, but only 2 are good. So you really have to know what you’re doing. The locals think I’m crazy, both for picking and consuming mushrooms growing in cow/horse shit haha. Knowledge is power!

Psilocybe cubensis
View Image
View Image

Panaeolus cyanescens
View Image
View Image

Pan cyans grow in the exact same substrate and environmental conditions as cubensis. They are smaller, but roughly 2-3x more potent, and often described as a “cleaner” trip with less body load. Here is a bowl of mostly Panaelous cyanescens with one lonely cube.

View Image

Would love to work that top cube from print.

Badfishy1

That's the one. Its live now but I dont think I am ready for the plunge just yet. I need to do more reading.

Those rustys caught my eye. ITW and Bas are working magic. Watch docs dank too. He will be dropping some gems from poo god