What's new

Branch Dying on Healthy Plant

therevverend

Veteran
Not surprised this thread is still around, it's a common problem for outdoor and indoor growers. A couple months ago a friend texted me pictures of his indoor mother plants. They looked terrible, wilting, stretching, stems snapping. I told him to immediately dose with hydrogen peroxide, scrap his current soil mix and transplant all his mothers. I recommended a couple bio-control products, trichoderma lignorium is a beneficial fungi that controls fusarium.

I've had some wilting this year and I've figured out more about the causes. We had a miserable spring, temperatures 60-65 degrees F and the soil never dried out. The first 80 degree day with bright sun I had some major wilting, top and bottom. I was saved by the weather, we had two overcast days, 70 degrees F, that dried out the soil and acclimated the plants to the warmer weather. Next hot day there was hardly any wilting and the plants are happy and vigorous. Back to my usual watering regime.

The wet cool soil creates bad conditions, the bad fungi like it and it locks out nutrients the plant needs. The plant stops sucking nutrients and fluid up from it's roots. The roots become underdeveloped and diseased. The plants that wilted were the ones with the worst drainage in the shadiest spots.