What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CANNABIS DNA PROJECT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ganja baba

Veteran
Let me know the varieties and I will say if they can be of use or not.
-SamS

I have so many it would take to lon to list , what I am asking is if they have been soaked all ready . Say I planted 10 seeds and five didn't germ but they are wet . If I dry them again will the DNa still be usable for you , best I can do is message you at the time and see if the strain is one you are after . I'm talking about strains like actual 1984 seeds Westmorland Jamaica lambsbread . Some of those old African types that veg for ever then flower in 7 weeks , I collected the African when I first got into growing but never grown them , I would love to give these to you if they are any use to you if they don't germ for me .
Also at some point would be be able to see the data collected , in the future would the data be assimilated to show genetic orgigens for the seeds we send in l, is this some thing that may become available at some point ?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
We will share the data, we give each accession an ID # that shows where your sample is when we share the data. Donators will be given their ID#s of any samples they summit.
I have never tried with seeds that we tried to get to sprout first, I see no reason it would not work, unless the sample seed was covered with mold, that could make the Cannabis DNA extraction and isolation more difficult, because of the additional DNA in any mold. We do and can extract DNA from old dead seeds.
Try and not let them mold, change the paper towels daily and change any water water with fresh clean water daily. I do not know how you try and sprout old seeds, I soak them in water for 24 hours and then place in paper towels in a frisbee covered to keep the seeds moist.
Anyway I want them......
-SamS

I have so many it would take to lon to list , what I am asking is if they have been soaked all ready . Say I planted 10 seeds and five didn't germ but they are wet . If I dry them again will the DNa still be usable for you , best I can do is message you at the time and see if the strain is one you are after . I'm talking about strains like actual 1984 seeds Westmorland Jamaica lambsbread . Some of those old African types that veg for ever then flower in 7 weeks , I collected the African when I first got into growing but never grown them , I would love to give these to you if they are any use to you if they don't germ for me .
Also at some point would be be able to see the data collected , in the future would the data be assimilated to show genetic orgigens for the seeds we send in l, is this some thing that may become available at some point ?

Ganja baba

Veteran
We will share the data, we give each accession an ID # that shows where your sample is when we share the data. Donators will be given their ID#s of any samples they summit.
I have never tried with seeds that we tried to get to sprout first, I see no reason it would not work, unless the sample seed was covered with mold, that could make the Cannabis DNA extraction and isolation more difficult, because of the additional DNA in any mold. We do and can extract DNA from old dead seeds.
Try and not let them mold, change the paper towels daily and change any water water with fresh clean water daily. I do not know how you try and sprout old seeds, I soak them in water for 24 hours and then place in paper towels in a frisbee covered to keep the seeds moist.
Anyway I want them......
-SamS

Ok Sam I'll let you know then , to be honest this will really help me finely plant my old seeds as some won't germ now and because some are so rare I havnt wanted to waste them but at least this way all is not lost and they can be off some use , I've kind off held on to seeds even if they didn't germ just like cryogenics in the hope one day they could be magically turned back to life , can you actually make new plants some how just from the DNA or rather I guess it's possible but is it some thing that's being done all ready ?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Ok Sam I'll let you know then , to be honest this will really help me finely plant my old seeds as some won't germ now and because some are so rare I havnt wanted to waste them but at least this way all is not lost and they can be off some use , I've kind off held on to seeds even if they didn't germ just like cryogenics in the hope one day they could be magically turned back to life , can you actually make new plants some how just from the DNA or rather I guess it's possible but is it some thing that's being done all ready ?

I don't think anyone is doing this, we can't and have no interest in doing so. Yes I am sure it could be done but the costs would be high and I am not sure if the science is ready yet or not. Some day maybe yes, if there was a good enough reason.
-SamS

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I will try and start to make a list of what would be interesting for us, as well anyone can make suggestions here of materials we should looking at and I will add it.

Older samples are better because they are less likely to have foreign genes?
We can use dead seeds, dead leaves, live seeds, live leaves, dead pollen, live pollen, from:
--------------------
All landrace seeds/leaves/pollen, drug, hemp or wild or Ruderalis. WLD or NLD, WLH or NLH,
(Wide Leaf, Narrow Leaf, Drug or Hemp)

Maybe hybrids made with one or more of the above, if we also get the parents used to make the
hybrids, so we can do multi-generational studies.

Sterile plants, you will need to have a leaf.

Almost sterile plants to see why most seeds do not form. check the few seeds/and a leaf.

Intersex plants, various kinds, some with genes for intersex and some with genes that allow
intersex expression with the right conditions.

Monoecious plants, like some hemp varieties.

All female plants XX

All male plants YY

Varigated plants, if possible leaves both variegated and not from same plant?

Anything Auto, even if no THC.

Ruderalis seeds pure Ruderalis and F1 hybrids nice if we also get both parents used in the hybrid

Multi generational samples like F1, F2, F3, F4, including the original parents if possible.

Samples from a female clone and the selfed S1 offspring

Male fasciated plants, or Female

Whorled Phyloxy, Male or Female

Ducksfoot

Polyploids, tetraploid, triploid, diploid, aneuploid

ABC Australian Bastard Cannabis, Mongy, Dizzy, Bindy, Rasta?

Any thing more? Like Pollen? Hemp textiles, Cannabis stalks.

-SamS

Last edited:

Hrpuffnkush

Golden Coast
Veteran
If it matters to anyone , Rob Clarke and i were talking this weekend and he help'd me understand much better how and what's going on with this project.... I'm totally comfortable send in genetics for this project , all submissions will be documented and you will be contacted at some point with your submission information... Rob gave his word that there is no funny business going on as far remaking strains from submitted samples or claiming ownership on any submission.... If Rob Clarkes word isn't good then nobody's is ... my opinion... If your passionate about cannabis and are on a quest fottrue accurate cannabis information and presivation... Then please consider being a part of this endeavor to help build a accurate family tree. And thanks to MrSam for getting this ball rolling

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Thanks for the support, and kind words. There are lots of countries that may have cannabis landrace varieties, Drug, Hemp, Wild? We want everyone we can find. PM me with any info about any unusual ones. Even if dead we can use them.
-SamS

mack 10

Veteran
I can send some variegated leafs and not
From same clone ( Chem D, originally popped in 05)

Would be interesting to find out what it actually is.
The brighter the light the more it seems to varigate.

MrBelvedere

ICMag Donor
I will try and start to make a list of what would be interesting for us, as well anyone can make suggestions here

-SamS

Maybe this is already done, but not with cannabis.

Trying to prove or disprove genetic drift in clones by getting the leaf samples from a cloned plant that has been:

A) cloned extensively not always using the same exact mother plant but using clones of the clone, clones of that clone, and so on and so on. Compare all the leaf samples and look for drift.

B) started as an outdoor Landrace but then was cloned and grown indoors over many years to see if it adapted to different environment. In other words compare the leaf samples from when it was grown outside to when it was grown inside for several years. Or vice versa.

C) taking clones of various parts of a mother plant growing them out and seeing if there are even slight differences in the DNA between where the cuts were taken.

Would need to do complete full DNA scan for these three tests probably.

Thx

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Some of this was done by Dr ElSohly you can find it. No changes....
-SamS

Maybe this is already done, but not with cannabis.

Trying to prove or disprove genetic drift in clones by getting the leaf samples from a cloned plant that has been:

A) cloned extensively not always using the same exact mother plant but using clones of the clone, clones of that clone, and so on and so on. Compare all the leaf samples and look for drift.

B) started as an outdoor Landrace but then was cloned and grown indoors over many years to see if it adapted to different environment. In other words compare the leaf samples from when it was grown outside to when it was grown inside for several years. Or vice versa.

C) taking clones of various parts of a mother plant growing them out and seeing if there are even slight differences in the DNA between where the cuts were taken.

Would need to do complete full DNA scan for these three tests probably.

Thx

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I want them.
PM me.
-SamS

I can send some variegated leafs and not
From same clone ( Chem D, originally popped in 05)

Would be interesting to find out what it actually is.
The brighter the light the more it seems to varigate.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
If anyone has DNA samples for us to test please PM me.
Even dead seeds, can have their DNA extracted and sequenced.
Post 67 in this thread is some of what we want, LANDRACES is number one.
Post #1 and #45 explain a little more.
Any questions you can PM me.
-Sams

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Yes we will share the data with the contributors and the public. We will post the info on a Phylos or Cannabis Evolution Project www site.
-SamS

rhizosphere

I am pretty sure we have a lab in the Netherlands that will help with the project, I am 99% sure. That will allow us to use live seeds for DNA extractions and even leafs. A leaf is best as it is cheaper and easier and faster and better DNA results then a dead seed. Also better then a live seed, which while better then a dead seed still is more time consuming then a leaf. The leaf can be dead and dry.
Sending live extracted DNA to the USA will allow faster, cheaper, better results, sounds much better for the work.
If anyone has landrace DNA we want it, dead or alive.
Thanks for the help....

-SamS

i have been told you have been asking around for people to send you genetics. but when the favor is asked of you thay are banned from this site. we know why you want the DNA of landrace and all strain and your evil will only stay hidden in the shadows for so long.it is now my passion and goal in life to reveal your evil alnog with the evil of GW braey hortipharm and educate people. you can banned me from this site but that will not stop us!! we will hit ever cannabis blog there is revealing your evil. hit every cannabis expo shear with the every day stoners and we will never stop.

and how dear you lie and say hortipharm is not involved in any of this we all know you have given GW and more full use of you liveing cannabis library. soon your evil will be reviled to all.

rhizosphere

if you think one guy is gonna drop all the cash on an operation as intense as this would be with out any return on cash and lab hours that quite frankly wouldnt yeild results anytime soon and be at best really hard to do even for the best scientists... right get a clue guys!!

Obsidian

Veteran
Hey Sam, pm me...I have pure Amazonian Sativa I collected in Peru, I am growing it outdoors here in Oregon right now. I can still send you some leaf material.
This is from that Hassadic Jewish Community in the Amazon. It's stable. Every plant looks like a clone of the other.
Just getting the seeds into the states is a funny story in itself. With the tight security coming back into the USA in the customs searches I was able to pull of some magical mis direction and sleight of hand and I walked through customs with over 100 seeds from deep in the Amazon 275km from Iquitos, Peru

Status
Not open for further replies.